advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any one with Rotator Cuff Surgery Experience?

Silverback971011

Newbies
Hey guys/girls...
Little background on me before I get into my question...I am not nearly as massive as some of the guys on here. My stats are 5 11, 220 lbs, 15% BF, Bench low to mid 300's, squat mid to upper 400's (when healthy). I am a avid runner, 3-4 times a week, usually around 5 miles and my mile is usually around 7-7:15 (run because of occupational preparedness).
I am 2 weeks out from surgery for a torn rotator cuff, pretty severe (I am told) 3cm.
Anyone have any experience with this injury that can share their recovery, physical therapy and how they recovery progressed?
I understand that everyone is different and that there are a number of factors that can come into play. I have never had this severe of an injury and just looking for someone that would be interested in sharing their experience.

Yes, I had the surgery a couple years ago. Prior to that I tore my tricep tendon off and had reattached and that was 8 weeks out of the gym. I thought this would be similar but it was much worse recovery wise. I was with the sling and balloon for about 3 months with passive movement in rehab (I am sure you are doing the same) touched my first weight at around month 4 or 5, I was about 80 percent at month 9 or 10 and 100% at 1 year. I've had a good amount of injuries over the 35 years of training but this was the worse (so far)recovery wise for me. Good luck

Both mine; right in 2001, left in 2005. They were different. The right was a full thickness horizontal tear that left my arm pretty much useless. It came apart doing incline bench. Oddly, it was on my final, rep out set. I had pushed quite a bit heavier that day. The doc said the tendon had been pretty well shredded over time... had to trim it back and screw it down. Left was slower to develop and was a linear tear, but that shoulder also had torn labrum, a/c joint impingement, bone spurs, and a large chondral defect on the end of the humerus.
As reported, about 4 months off all lifting... you'll tell yourself that you are going to do legs but you'll be surprised. You can't hold yourself down in a leg press machine with any appreciable weight and the only way to squat is turn sideways in a Smith machine. I gave up and sat it out. Took about a year for me as well to get back to 100%
Be diligent with rehab. It's painful, but tough it out. You will be glad you did.

I am right there with you.

I am 4 weeks out of a repair of a 3cm tear of my left rotator cuff. was told the tissue quality was not great, but repair went well. Had a labral tear trimmed back but not repaired. bone spurs removed.

just got out of sling and holy crap it feels good to ditch that thing. I am able to tie my shoes, but nothing else that requires any range of motion. I just sort of try to keep my elbow by my side, sort of like I am still in sling.

start PT this week.

like stated above likely won't touch a weight for at least 3 months.

was given some advice by PT to stay active but NOT run. (jarring motion creates tension on repair, even on treadmill). so have been hitting a spin bike, it has become addictive as my shoulder always feels better after from sweating and getting blood flowing.

I am older, and with crappy tissue quality, not overly optimistic about ever pushing any serious weights around again, but at this point, I would be happy to be able to do a push up again, as it has been a year since I have been able to do that.

Had a tear in 2007 and did surgery. Shoulder was never the same. I agree that rehab is the key to getting the most out of it. I was fighting scar tissue for over a year. Every once in a while I would move my shoulder a certain way and would get a major popping sensation. It would hurt a while, but would have increased range of motion. Avoid surgery if you can. Problem is sometimes you can't avoid it.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws