over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

anybody bulk with low carbs?

rugal

Newbies
wanted to get some input on this thanx

I have been wondering about this too. Im trying it right now. I will let you know how it works out.

Here's my take on it - and yes I've done it

You don't tell us how much you weigh so I don't know what to suggest to "you."

Your focus needs to be to take in at least 400 grams protein (clean protein) ED. Then next focus is to minimize carbs - most of them to be taken post-workout - and green vegetables (any meal) are good.

You then need to add fats to get to a calorie amount that is not "too much" yet enough to gain. It really doesn't take A LOT of CALORIES above maintenance amount when you're eating like this, working out properly and supplementing to gain lean muscle.

xcel

well i weigh 235 right now,i dont know BF% but i have 3 rows of abs and some intercostal showing. i ususally take in about 5000 cals on a diet that is 40 pro, 40 carbs and 20 fat

There's a WORLD of DIFFERENCE between 235 at 5'6" amd 6'5"!! :D How old are you?

xcel

okay yeah didnt mention height, im 5'8 and 25 years old

I hope you don't mind me pestering you for more info. I don't metabolize carbs as well as when I was younger. I know many "young people" (that'd be under 40 :) ) that are able to metabolize carbs OK. Many can't OR do better by doing what I stated.

For your size, since your bulking, I'd start with at least 500g protein. If you feel you metabolize carbs OK then add in some good "complex carbs" with your meals like long grain brown rice, yams, whole-wheat pasta, etc. If you've tried that and haven't been happy with results, then try what I suggested. Make sure that you're eating at least 7 ot 8 times day.

Maybe instynct or magoo will chime in on this thread ;)

xcel

getting in the protein is not a problem. i had a stint a few months back with the anabolic diet by Maurio Di Pasqale, he recommneds a bulking phase but it seemed as though i just lost BF and didnt gain any mass.i guess what i am asking is if your on low carb diet do you need more calories than a moderate or high carb diet for mass gains

Any of y'all can jump in on this!

I believe that the body needs "X" amount of calories. The difference is the macro-nutrient breakdown. Example: you can be taking in 5000 calories and your body will react MUCH differently - instead of 600g protein, try substituting it with 600g of sugar - see what I mean.

I guess that I'm not "too far off-base" as nobody else is chiming in on this.

My suggestion is this: if all you do is lose BF and muscle stays the same (what a dillema :) ) then start adding more good fats to meals. Good Fats are important element for building muscle ( "i believe" moreso than carbs).

xcel

thanx for the help Xcel much appreciated

Magoo how do you set up your meals? are crabs only after training?

rugal said:
are crabs only after training?
Crabs are an excellent protein and can be eaten at any time :) - j/k (I probably make more typos than anyone else on this board)

xcel

yeah not a great typist

ha yep I love those crabs to. I bulk with low carbs to mainly because I hate feeling bloaty and overweight makes it easier to get in shape for show, but also have found recently that I seem to grow alot faster so suppose can't be wrong for my body

first thing i wud increase if i am not gaining weight is protein and good fat . but carbs have their own role too ....
anyway , it seems protein intake increases the body metabolism more than carb intake .

i see carbs as an enemy practically except postworkout. heres why:
1) either u r a sugar burner or a fat burner, u want to be a fat burner, if u r a sugar bruner that means ur body has adopted to use carbs as a fuel source and when its dieting or even bulking and low on them as u would be between feedings where will the carbs come from? well they come from ur precious glycogen stores in u rmuscles and liver since ur a sugar burner. now u have compromised glycogen levels

lets say ur a fat burner and uve conditioned ur body to use fat as an energy source, and u only take in carbs postworkout, all the carbs are stored efficiently bc of post workout muscle needs and the added fact that ur body senses its finally getting carbs and will hold them more efficiently bc uve deprived ur body of it already. by the next morning ur in a fat burning yet fully glycogen loaded state and will remain that way if u keep eating proteins and fats

my diet is proteins and fats all day with the exception of postworkout where i load the carbs and glucose disposal agents to get back into fatburning state via r-ala

mr magoo , what about the other metabolic processes mediated thro carbohydrates ? seems like ure quite a keto follower ... but i think thats an extreme approach .

Magoo thanks for the help, one last thing could you give some examples of your portein+fat meals? are they keto style or are they more along the lines of whey +flax

rugal said:
Magoo thanks for the help, one last thing could you give some examples of your portein+fat meals? are they keto style or are they more along the lines of whey +flax

well define keto style first off for me then i can answer more precisely r u reffering to a meal more like 60-70 percent fat and 30-40 percent keto or more of a bb mix like half the cals from each one?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear