over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anybody train their delts before chest?

TrinityD

Banned
Kilo Klub Member
Was wondering if anybody hits delts before chest.
My shoulders are extremely strong and dominant, and my chest is my #1 lagging bodypart.

I was thinking maybe if I train my delts first, and then primarily focus on flyes and chest isolation, I might figure out a way to help my chest do most of the work.

Obviously I would have to "figure it out myself" and see if it works...

Just seeing if anybody else does this because I know IFBB bodybuilders that do.

lmk

Doing free weight dumbbell flys was a staple lift to helping my chest develop. Peck deck as well as incline bench

i tried db flyes and they never seem to work well for me because delts always give out first....cable was always best. my delts give out on db flyes too no matter what form i do(I know it's freaking ridiculous)

i def do incline db bench , but once again despite the form, my delts take over.
so far cable flyes or pec dec have been best(maybe HS decline too)....isolation seems best so far

i was wondering if doing delts before might help even further

thanks for input though buddy

Try lowering the weight on the dumbbell flys and focus on the deep stretch and up at the top of the contraction squeeze and twist the wrists in towards each other without letting the dumbbells touch. Keep them about an inch apart at the top of the contraction

I have the same issue except it's my triceps overpowering.

I find pausing at the bottom of benching moves and stopping short of locking out helps me keep tension on the pecs and really trash them hard

I have the same issue except it's my triceps overpowering.

I find pausing at the bottom of benching moves and stopping short of locking out helps me keep tension on the pecs and really trash them hard

Move your grip out further on the bench

I think the whole pre-exhausting the delts to put more focus and isolation on the chest does work, however I wouldn't make this a staple in my routine. Yes guys like Evan Centopani have done things like this (and many others) but, in my opinion; and what I see in videos and what not, they do it here and there. It's not something they would do weekly.

In my opinion, if your chest is a body part that is behind, I would set a full day for that, maybe even train it twice a week. And, since your delts are more advanced, toss in a few movements of delts at the end of your chest workout to hit them a little bit, and don't set a full day for them. That way your chest can catch up, and your delts will remain the same (or grow very slightly).

This is my input but take what you want from it.

Not precisely an answer to your question, but I've been training delts and chest in superset in the same workout for years, and none of them seems to have been adversely affected by such method.

Now, IMO, if focusing on your chest is your priority, training delts just before will be counterproductive... frying front delts will only make for weaker/lighter lifts on chest pressing exercises, and that in the end can't really end up in muscle growth.

Just my .02 though. :)

OP you sound like me. my delts wanna overpower my chest on some presses. so definitely stay away from incline press or flat press. decline is your best friend and dips. takes delts totally out of the move and you can lift more poundages and activate more response. best thing I ever did to bring up my chest to same level as delts was NOT doing any moves but declines and dips for chest.
-JS

These responses are all wonderful, thanks This is why pm is the best.

I currently train Chest Delt Tri on same day, routine usually looks like this..

Incline DB Press 2x10
Cable Flye 2x15 + drop sets since lagging
Shoulder Press 1x10
Side Lateral 1x15.
TRI Dips 2x15
Overhead Ext 1x15

I guess what I'll do is switch to decline DB bench and perhaps eliminate shoulder Press for now

Last edited:
I recall Justin Compton doing a chest/shoulders day, then a shoulders/chest day later in the week

Incline DB Press 2x10

Shoulder Press 1x10

Side Lateral 1x15.

TRI Dips 2x15

Overhead Ext 1x15

I guess what I'll do is switch to decline DB bench and perhaps eliminate shoulder Press for now

Are you training chest more than once EW?

I am just wondering why such low volume? Even if you were to train twice a week with that protocol, the volume is very low. How can you stimulate new growth?

-Baseline

Try pushing your shoulder blades together when you lie on the bench. This will help you engage your chest better.

Incline DB Press 2x10
Shoulder Press 1x10
Side Lateral 1x15.i
TRI Dips 2x15
Overhead Ext 1x15

Trinity...you must be in and out of the gym in less than half an hour. Do you hit all 3 once or twice a week? It just doesn't seem like enough volume to me. I'm not saying there are low volume routines out there that aren't effective (HIT, DC, etc) for example. Do you use different techniniques such as rest-pause, super/tri sets, partials, pyramid, etc?

Last edited:

Incline DB Press 2x10
Shoulder Press 1x10
Side Lateral 1x15.
TRI Dips 2x15
Overhead Ext 1x15

PERFECT solution imo. near exactly what I did and chest came up and delts stayed the same or grew at equal rate now as chest. prob fixed.
-JS

agreed

My chest is also lagging IMMENSELY and Im not a small dude. Its just that my upper chest looks very weak especially from the side and when Im dieting.. With that said Ive found that the best exercises for me were the decline press with dumbbells and HEAVY bench press. Now I know everyone says not to do heavy bench press but all I know is that anytime I switched to a JS 5x5 workout and did heavy bench press- my chest grew. And Im like you Trinity in that I have dominant shoulders. For some reason- any kind of incline press no matter how hard I try to concentrate and switch up angles- I just can't feel it hitting my chest. Decline press with dumbbells for some reason I DEFINITELY feel hitting my chest especiallywhen I come down and stretch. Now the barbell bench press I do not feel as much but I know it worked but only when I went heavy and would go in the lower rep range. The light fly work on the flat bench like arnold would do with a deep stretch also hits it. And then I would do incline flys with heavy weight and the arms not as straight but more bent than the arnold flat fly..But since you're like me with shoulders dominating I imagine you chose the decline dumbbell press because you just feel them hit your chest. I think a lot of this is genetics as well unfortunately

^^Slick,
Have you tried to keep your Chest up/out shoulders back and elbows in a bit with a slightly closer grip? A lot of people make the mistake of keeping their elbows out to muc which your delts start taking over the excercise that way.

-Baseline

Last edited:
Yeah guys, I always only used low volume. If I go any higher, I literally get smaller and weaker. Must just be in the DNA. I train it 2x week though. Yeah gym sessions are 1hour or so because I also add Biceps, Calves, abs that day. Idk what's to say, I went from 127-220lbs on low volume, I tried high volume or medium and always went backwards. Everybody different

Last edited:
Time to hit decline DB hard and drop the shoulder prrss
Thanks a lot guys

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws