over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anybody train their delts before chest?

bench form

Yes Base I ALWAYS roll and pinch my shoulders back and pop out my chest and try to focus on my chest as I press.. Ive tried different grip widths as well as positions for my elbows during the exercise. Consensus is that elbows should not be flared straight out but more like 45 degrees which is what Ive been doing. No idea what it is but declines DUMBELLS do feel the best so Im gonna start doing those although they are a pain in the ass to do as far as get dumbbells up initially lol.. And a lot of people also say that you can't target upper or lower chest and that it is one muscle that can only be built overall and that you can't bring up your upper chest with inclines that its all myth. If thats true then the best bet is to just go with the declines and build up the overall chest that way. I know some people still believe that inclines build upper and declines lower etc but I even saw a youtube video with dorian yates explaining this with more detail and maybe others can chime in and give an opinion.

TrinityD,

I do a similar workload/volume as you.

If I do more, I'm overtraining and don't grow.

If do low volume, I get good results.

Sometimes I find all the calves, forearms, abs, stretching takes more time than the actual lift does.

I like getting in and out quick, I don't burn out mentally.

My chest used to overpower my shoulders and triceps back in the day. Since I had a 6 year layoff, I decided to avoid that.

In this order I do rear delts x2, lateral delts x2, military press x 2, dips x1, overhead extensions x 1, incline press x 2, and I'm done.

Doing the parts that used to lag, first, I can tell it's helping. I'm fresh and I'm hitting them harder. My chest still gets sore, because as someone mentioned above, pause and stretch at the bottom and don't lock out at the top.

I don't press as much weight, but I'm still sore and I can see a difference, so I'm not worried. I'll keep in touch with long term results.

As a halfway house between a decline bench and a flat bench i have been putting a 20kg or 25kg olympic plate underneath the (feet) end of the flat bench.

So you still get a decline enough to take your delts out of it without having such a steep decline.

Could be worth mixing between the two.

I recently started doing pause reps. I like the way they feel, I big into giant sets at the end of my workouts as well.
For ex. Yesterday's I did chest.

Flat bench- 225lbs. 4 sets-Pause at the bottom about an inch or 2 for a 3 count. As many reps you can do.

- 4 super set- Flat DB Flys with a two count pause 12-15 reps
Incline BB 135lb- 185lb try to match the reps.

-4 sets-wide chest press machine superset with cable flys. 12-15 reps each.

Giant set to finish
- 3 sets
Incline machine- 20 reps
Dips to failure
Push up til failure into girl push ups to failure.

I don't do this every week, maybe every 3rd week. It's a good workout, change of pase. Just be prepared to go balls to the wall.

i tried db flyes and they never seem to work well for me because delts always give out first....cable was always best. my delts give out on db flyes too no matter what form i do(I know it's freaking ridiculous)

i def do incline db bench , but once again despite the form, my delts take over.

so far cable flyes or pec dec have been best(maybe HS decline too)....isolation seems best so far

i was wondering if doing delts before might help even further

thanks for input though buddy

I've learned over years to train weak parts as priority. My chest grows without hard work . In fact I've not performed a bench press since 1983. Dips , cables , flyes. Yes I do train shoulders first. My thighs same . I train calf first , hams second , then quads . Asthetic proportions have always been my goals , not ego how much I can max etc. While I respect those who do, to each his own. I've never accepted a training partner for same reason as I come to the gym for me. The gym is one place where being selfish is essential. After my workout I do train others but not on my time . Always assess yourself honestly . Weak parts take priority . You sometimes need to specialize training to bring them up. My chest workouts are to keep them ripped and hard . Peak contraction , super sets ect. After I blast my weaker shoulder area.

Love Jefe approach very similiar to mind

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Last edited:
If no one has suggested it yet....stop training shoulders since they over power the chest. If you have good shoulders already just focus on the chest. Your shoulders will catch up in no time

If no one has suggested it yet....stop training shoulders since they over power the chest. If you have good shoulders already just focus on the chest. Your shoulders will catch up in no time

actually this is what i have done but in reverse. my chest overpowers my shoulders. so i havent done chest in a long time. ive definitely made some progress this way.

actually this is what i have done but in reverse. my chest overpowers my shoulders. so i havent done chest in a long time. ive definitely made some progress this way.

The only shoulder training I do is for rear delts and side delts. For chest I do nothing but dumbells with half range to 3/4 range of motion and my front delts still eat a little but no where near as much with full range of motion. Another suggestion is to throw push-ups in the mix. They work great at filling up the chest. I have a friend that has stretch marks on the chest from push-ups only.

my shoulder training was 1set shoulder press+1 set side raises, thats why i previously figured it wasn't a big deal to keep doing them

you're right though, i will just drop the shoulder press as I said earlier and keep side raises in

thanks !

Was wondering if anybody hits delts before chest.
My shoulders are extremely strong and dominant, and my chest is my #1 lagging bodypart.

I was thinking maybe if I train my delts first, and then primarily focus on flyes and chest isolation, I might figure out a way to help my chest do most of the work.

Obviously I would have to "figure it out myself" and see if it works...

Just seeing if anybody else does this because I know IFBB bodybuilders that do.

lmk

Hey stranger, you look familiar! ;)
I'd suggest hitting the pec deck first, make damned sure you keep your head back and look up, you'll be stronger on the movement and you can't "shoulder" the reps.
Do two warmups of 15, they should HURT, period.
Then 3 sets of 12 - 15, but not to failure, just shy.
after each set, stretch the chest, grab the machine up high, like you're grabbing the door frame above you and LEAN forward into the stretch, hold each side for 10 seconds. Do that in between each set of pec deck flyes.
THEN...
Incline barbell presses. I like to do two warmups of 8-10 then 3 sets of 10.
I pause press the last three on each set. Rep 8 gets 1 second, press nowhere near lockout. Rep 9 gets 2 seconds at the chest, press again, nowhere near lockout, rep 10, 3 full seconds at the chest, full tension, then squeeze it up and rack it. Each set of 10 should be just like that.
After that, I suggest LIGHT but TENSE guillotine barbell bench presses WIDE grip as you can. That followed by 2 sets of light STRETCHED cable xovers are an amazing way to finish that chest priority. Hit each rep like you're showing your best most muscular for a 1 count.
I feel NOTHING has helped to bring up my chest like that has in density and pressing strength and 'continuity' of how the developement seems to 'flow' in the upper chest. Hope that makes sense.

I know, I know, you asked about training delts first, but I find that they're ALWAYS the damned weak link and hitting them too much results in too much wear and tear and since you want to bring up the chest, then I think 'let's find the best way to HIT THE DAMNED CHEST and avoid delt involvement'. cause my delts totally take over, just like you describe, so from one delt dominant guy to another...my .02.

Last edited:
Ha ha hello friend, you look might familiar too!!

Thanks for the awesome writeup. I'll tell you my problem though ;

I can't do ANY BARBELL BENCHING. no grip, no angle, no width, no formal, no tempo change relieves the pain I get from it.

I used to hit 365-375 max on flat 1RM and something happened where now I can not even do 135x1 without pain on Decline, Incline, close, Reverse, smith, etc.

Only movements that doesn't cause pain :
-Cable Flye and pec dec
-Incline and Decline DB
-HS Dips and sometimes Decline HS

Everything else definitely no go.

I'll try starting out with Flye movement first as you said, then doing my Press etc.

Great advice, thanks for wonderful writeup seriously

My chest/shoulder day goes like this... I always have a hard time with my delts taking over on chest (even though my chest is a strong point for me) if I started with heavy pressing first.

I'll do
Cable Fly - 3 x 20
Decline BB - 2-3 x 8-10
Lateral Raise - 2-3 x 15-20
DB shoulder press - 3 x 8
Destroyers - 1 x 60

I find this helps me keep a chest pump through my decline pressing and keeps my shoulders from taking over.

I can't do ANY BARBELL BENCHING. no grip, no angle, no width, no formal, no tempo change relieves the pain I get from it.

I used to hit 365-375 max on flat 1RM and something happened where now I can not even do 135x1 without pain on Decline, Incline, close, Reverse, smith, etc.

-Cable Flye and pec dec
-Incline and Decline DB

I'll try starting out with Flye movement first as you said, then doing my Press etc.

Ah shit brother, I feel badly in that I didn't know those details because maybe I should have. Let's see what we can do...
G.

-Cable Flye and pec dec
-Incline and Decline DB

In the same boat as you my friend. That being said, once fully switching to DB presses, I'd never go back. The free range of motion definitely is more natural for your body. You can use whatever angle feels the best and there are no more benefits to bar benching besides showing off your 1RM, which in all honesty, none of us as bodybuilders should REALLY give a shit about. Also now that I've moved up to the heaviest DBs in my gym for presses (150s) they are practically NEVER in use because not many people in my gym can even hit DB's that high, so it's very convenient for me to always be able to use them without a wait :)

Pushups

Do press movement supersetted with pushups.
Bench Press to the neck without rest to pushups.

My shoulders are extremely strong and dominant, and my chest is my #1 lagging bodypart.

I was thinking maybe if I train my delts first, and then primarily focus on flyes and chest isolation, I might figure out a way to help my chest do most of the work.

lmk

when i was training chest/shoulders twice a week one day would lead with chest and the next would lead with shoulder

lmk

I'm the exact same way bro. Shoulder dominate and chest is lagging. I hit chest twice a week. One day by itself and the other after shoulders. I also changed my form up a lot and it seemed to really help with the growth of my chest.

I dropped flat bench in 1983 and because I prioritize my delts I train them before chest . I think you need to train your body according to how you as an individual respond not because everone says so. I train calves and Hams before quads too. There have been times from all my fighting training injuries made my forearms hurt to do biceps . So I began to do more direct forearm work and now I'm pain free when the docs. Wanted to operate . Always trains weak points whether visual or functional

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner