over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone do Wide Stance Squats?

Darb77

Registered
I have had some patallar tendon issues over the past couple years with a pretty bad tear in my left knee. I just got a PRP injection and things have healed up alot lately and I started squatting again.

I switched over from more olympic style ass to grass squats to a more wide stance powerlifting squat and I find it is alot easier on my knees and it feels much better on my body in general.

I was curious if anyone else squatted this way and what you guys think about it in terms of muscle building for the legs. I figure doing this with leg press, various ham curls, SLDS, Hammer Strength V Squat would be a good workout.

how wide are you talking? i squat fairly wide as compared to most guys i see at the gym. my feet are definitely wider than my shouldera and my toes pointed outwards, probably 75 degrees compared to each other. to further illustrate, i squat down ALL the way, if my arms were to hang in front of me, my triceps rest against my inner thighs.

i feel this stance causes no joint pain and i can really feel the muscles work through the full range of motion, even at lighter weights

Well I would say a quite a bit past shoulder width with my toes pointed outward a bit and pushing my knees outward when I squat and all the way down pretty much. I am really liking this but its new to me and alot different from my old high bar olympic style squats. Like you said it seems alot easier on my joints and body in general.

Well biomechanically wide stance squats incorperate more vastus medialus and gracillus muscles and are generally easier on the knees. Where as closer works vastus lateralus, glutes and rectus femorus more- according to EMG testing in the lab. I personally incorporate both. Surely can handle more weight wider. Your range of motion is damatically decreased.

Well biomechanically wide stance squats incorperate more vastus medialus and gracillus muscles and are generally easier on the knees. Where as closer works vastus lateralus, glutes and rectus femorus more- according to EMG testing in the lab. I personally incorporate both. Surely can handle more weight wider. Your range of motion is damatically decreased.

Strongrhino, did you or any of your friends back in the day do front squats and see carryover to your squat? Or, are quads not as important in a squat?

how wide are you talking? i squat fairly wide as compared to most guys i see at the gym. my feet are definitely wider than my shouldera and my toes pointed outwards, probably 75 degrees compared to each other. to further illustrate, i squat down ALL the way, if my arms were to hang in front of me, my triceps rest against my inner thighs.

i feel this stance causes no joint pain and i can really feel the muscles work through the full range of motion, even at lighter weights

This is how i squat as well.

Your range of motion is damatically decreased.

I have a wider range of motion with the wider stance.

Women tend to have much more flexible hips than men so that's not surprising at all. Most men will have issues going below parallel with a super wide stance.

This is how i squat as well.

How is that if your depth is same? Not possible. You may be going deeper than when wide. Think about the biomechanics. Same with bench. Wide grip less ROM.
Look at ALL top powerlifters. wide stance on squat wide grip on bench. less stroke. Measure- you will see as long as depth equal.

How is that if your depth is same? Not possible. You may be going deeper than when wide. Think about the biomechanics. Same with bench. Wide grip less ROM.
Look at ALL top powerlifters. wide stance on squat wide grip on bench. less stroke. Measure- you will see as long as depth equal.

Wouldn't they use a difference stance or grip if wearing a suit?

I can go ass to the ground with a wide stance. When I go shoulder width, I can't get to parallel, it is my structure and muscle inbalances that cause this.

I go wide stance not full on sumo stance but power style, football player squats. Sets of 2-3 increase the weight each week has never failed me yet.

i squat with my feet at shoulder width and switch to a pl style every other month

I can go ass to the ground with a wide stance. When I go shoulder width, I can't get to parallel, it is my structure and muscle inbalances that cause this.
Correct and not the issue Im referring to. If ya went ass to ground with a closer stance you are not only recruiting different fibers but increasing stroke/ increasing distance moved.

Wouldn't they use a difference stance or grip if wearing a suit?

Not necessaraly. Seen both but yes they go wide if wearing a suit generally when going for singles and doubles because they are going for depth below parallel for max weight thus decreasing their ROM and the suit protects the hip flexors - the psoas and iliopsoas (generally) weak link during the eccentric (going down) phase. There are always exceptions. But generally one is stronger with a wider stance due to less ROM. All ya gotta do is measure with a tape from saay your psis (posterior inferior illiac spine) to the floor both ways and I guarantee ya move longer distance (by inches) narrow stance. But for BB a narrower stance- say a hair wider than shoulder will factually recruit move of what WE are looking for. More quad ham and glute. Not volume of weight being moved with lots of low back as well and not for single, doubles or triples- which build strength but not muscle hypertrophy.

I do wide stance squats due to my left knee. When I try to bring in my feet to shoulder width it doesn't feel very good on my knee, with heavier weight. Then when I hit the leg press I can use a closer stance if I feel like it.

Bottom line: If you have knee issues and feel that you cannot do squats, at least try widening your stance before giving up on squats all together.

:)

Bottom line: If you have knee issues and feel that you cannot do squats, at least try widening your stance before giving up on squats all together.

:)[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that! I have synovitis in both knees, and whenever I squat heavy my knees swell up and it reduces the range of motion on my knees (just like having a cast)...

So I experimented, and the only movement that I could use (yes, the ONLY exercise) was wide stance squats with toes far out...

Since then, I don't have knee problems... It's also interesting that more weight / less reps aggrevates my knees less than the other way around...

I searched the net and found a guy on youtube doing the same thing and he calls them "barbell duck squats"...

Here's the link:

YouTube - Barbell Duck Squat

I squat according to my body type. Whatever feels comfortable. Pretty much where ever i feel I can drive the most weight up. If that's considered wide than so be it.....

IMO, and i'm not undermining the posts here, but unless you are training around an injury or training specifically for athletic or strength purposes....most people worry too much about their stance.

To tell you the truth, for a large majority of people, if they just found the width that felt more comfortable to them in the movement, they are going tobe fine. Wghether that be very wide, narrow, or whatever....I usually just recommend finding what is comfortable for you to perform the exercise.

That's me though:)

BMJ

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear