over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone doing full body routines??

comedycentral

Registered
there have been several posts lately on the merits of full body and im just wondering if anyone on her runs them and if so what sort of routines and rep ranges your using.

there seems to be lots of evidence to support growth spurts using short 45-60 min full routines 3 day per week

Full body routines are excellent. They are often suggested to beginners for various reasons. But I feel anyone can benefit from them... as some of the recent threads have highlighted.

I started a full body routine yesterday. Gonna do mon/wed/fri routine. I usually create my own routines and this next one will be random exercises. I actually got the idea to start a full body routine again when reading one Dorian Yates recommended for beginners in a booklet I got awhile back.

I have been doing a dc style routine for the last 8 months or so. That was two workouts of chest, shoulders, tri-ceps, back width and back thickness then bi-ceps, forearms, calves, hams and quads. I would do them mon, wed, fri and have 3 exercises for each so it would be a 2 week cycle.

I progressively gone up in weight and reps each workout. The routine was great and very different to what I usually do. Over time I developed it where I would stick to the 6 workouts but sometimes I may have felt like blasting certain (weak) bodyparts so I would do that for one day and carry on with the existing routine the next time in the gym. Those blasting days would only happen once every 2 weeks or so. Basically just adding another dimension to my training. But on the whole I like to keep it simple.

I feel like a change. Gonna just do 3 full body routines. I will pick the exercises on the day I go to the gym. I will make a rough note of weights and reps for certain movements and try to progress over time. Gonna include many compound movements. Will likely try to seperate the heavy movements thoughout the week.

I do 1 working set for each and as many warm ups as I need. I will throw in forced reps, partials, negatives, supersets etc etc from time to time. Nothing is set in stone. But I will try to do every bodypart in my routine. If I don't feel like doing arms I will skip them. As a result I may do 2 back exercises or just shorten my workout.

If you understand your body and have a decent knowledge of training I think this type of routine can be great. Of course all I aim to do is train as intense as possible without overtraining. This is why I use flexibility in most of my routines so I go on how my body feels.

I usually never go past 1 hour in the gym. This time round I am likely to stick with that. I warm up slowly but tend to take little rest between most exercises (excluding leg press, squats, deadlifts etc). But some days I may take my time and stay awhile. Nothing is set in stone and I am simply gonna go on how I feel that day. My monday routine was (done 2 shoulder movements)...

Incline DB Press
DB Lateral Raises
DB Shoulder Press
DB Rows (Yates style)... first time using DB's for this... I liked it (DB deadlifts are great too)
Close Grip Bench Press
Preacher Curls
Leg Press

All movements were 1 working set to failure. 2 forced reps with the close grip bench press. As you can see I didn't do any hams, calves or abs. Therefore 2moro I am gonna start with some ab work then go onto stiff leg deadlifts and then calf raises on hack squat machine. Followed by whatever I feel like at the time.

I love this method of training because I recover fast between workouts but feel I don't gain as much when blasting bodyparts like many do (I am bulking now). So alittle but extremely intense workout 2/3 times weekly for each bodypart is my fav approach. Not to mention the nice full body pump you walk round with through the week :)

Last edited:
there have been several posts lately on the merits of full body and im just wondering if anyone on her runs them and if so what sort of routines and rep ranges your using.

there seems to be lots of evidence to support growth spurts using short 45-60 min full routines 3 day per week

Bulking Up — Strength & Health, November 1968.

By John McCallum

Years ago, a fool proof method of bulking up was discovered. And yet gaining weight is a major problem with bodybuilders today because the old method somehow got lost in the shuffle. It’s too bad, because gaining weight is really no problem. Bulking up is far and away the easiest part of bodybuilding.If you want to make use of some old gold and really apply yourself, you can gain lots of weight. If you want to quit scratching around for something new for a couple of months, you can get as bulky as you want.Let’s review the old method, and then we’ll outline a program for you. We can sum up the essentials very quickly. Squats and milk. That’s the gist of it. Heavy squats and lots of milk and never mind if the principle is years old.If you’re in doubt, let me tell you this. I get scores of letters from lifters around the country who’ve tried the squats and milk program. They all say the same thing. They gained more weight in a month on the squats and milk than they had in a year or more on other types of programs. Gains of twenty to thirty pounds in a month are not uncommon. If you don’t gain at least ten pounds a month you’re doing something wrong.Lets take it piece by piece. We’ll start with the milk bit.

The bodybuilders who don’t gain well on milk usually fail because they misunderstand the instructions to drink a lot of it. I’ve met a few men who thought a couple glasses was a lot. That’s not what I mean. When I say a lot of milk, I’m talking about a gallon or so a day. A gallon of milk a day may sound excessive, and perhaps it is, but it’s a sure guarantee of fast gains.You can even soup up the milk a bit by adding a few items to it; like a day’s supply of protein supplement, some ice cream or maybe some skim milk powder. Either way, just make sure you drink a gallon a day.The other essential to the program is the squat. This, like the milk, is often badly misunderstood. Let’s outline a bulking up routine for you, and discuss the squat in it’s proper place in the program. You should start your program with a brief warmup. Spend about five minutes bending and twisting, doing light repetition snatches or cleans, sit-ups, running in place, and so on.

Don’t wear yourself out on the warmup. Just get your blood moving and a good feeling about the whole thing.Your first exercise is the press behind the neck. Do three sets of twelve reps.Don’t be frightened by the relatively high reps, and don’t be stampeded into using low rep stuff. The value of low reps has been greatly exaggerated. Moderately high reps, properly used, provide umpteen times the growth stimulation, and are so much better for your health that comparisons become ridiculous. Do the presses in strict style with a medium width grip. Work hard on them and try to force the poundage way up. There’s no use kidding yourself on this or any other exercise.

If you use baby sized weights, then you can expect baby sized muscles. It’s as simple as that and there’s no way out of it.If you want respectable deltoid, trapezius, and triceps development, then you’ve got to work up to about three-quarters of your body weight for the twelve reps. That means around 105 pounds for a 140 pound man, 120 pounds for a 160 pound man, 150 pounds for a 200 pound man, and so on. Nothing less will do. If you think it will, forget it.

The biggest fallacy in weight training is the foisted notion that you can build big powerful muscles without hard work on heavy weights. You can’t do it, brothers, and you’re wasting your time trying. If you’re not gaining like you should, give your training poundages a long hard look. The fault may be entirely yours.Take a short rest after the presses. The next exercise is the big one, the key to the whole thing, the squat. You’ll do one set of twenty reps, in puff and pant style, with all the weight you an handle.Twenty rep squats are the solution to everybody’s weight gaining problems. They’ll stimulate growth beyond belief if you work hard enough on them.Warm up your knees with a few free squats and then start right in on the heavy stuff. Take three huge gulping breaths between each rep. Hold the last breath and squat. Blast the air out violently as you come erect. Hold your head up and keep your back as flat as possible. Don’t go below parallel position. You should use a weight so heavy that the last five reps are doubtful.

I continually get letters from trainees complaining about their slow gains in bodyweight. Eventually I find out they’re using weights in the squat that an old lady with arthritis could lift.You’ve gotta force the poundage. 150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum. That means 300 pounds for a 200 pound man. And remember, that’s a minimum figure. You should figure on going well above that.As soon as you finish the squats, do twenty pullovers with a light weight. Twenty pounds or so is plenty. All you want to do is give your rib box a good stretch.

The next exercise is the bench press. This exercise has been published enough so that you shouldn’t need any special instruction on it. Do three sets in a rather loose style.The next exercise is bent over rowing. Do three sets of fifteen in very strict style. Rest your forehead on a block or lean it against a post or something to make sure you don’t cheat. Use a medium width grip and pull the bar to your lower abdomen.The next exercise is the stiff legged deadlift. One set of fifteen reps. Do the deadlifts standing on a bench or a high block so that you can go all the way down without the plates hitting the floor. Concentrate on a full extension and contraction of your lower back.Don’t set the weight down when you finish the fifteen reps. Stand erect and do shoulder shrugs until you grip gives out. You should be able to get at least a dozen shrugs out of it. Do another set of light pullovers, twenty reps, after the deadlifts and shrugs.That completes the program, and it looks like this:

1. Press behind neck ———————–3 x 12
2. Squat ————————————– 1 x 20
3. Pullover ———————————– 1 x 20
4. Bench press —————————— 3 x 12
5. Rowing ———————————— 3 x 15
6. Stiff legged deadlift———————- 1 x 15
7. Pullover ———————————— 1 x 20

Work hard on all the exercises, and work to your limit on the squats. Drink milk as suggested earlier. Get lots of rest and sleep. Maintain a calm, tranquil mind and start saving your money. You’ll need it to buy bigger clothes.

In other articles, John McCallum stressed the importance of forcing the poundage on the squat. He said to add five pounds
every workout!

great workout i have used many times, minus the milk part lol:D

Sometimes I will do full body routine when my schedule is really busy or during travel.

i think i will give this a shot for a few weeks.

i may look at one day of the 3 using predominantly machine work as i find now im getting old/er 35yrs the old joints cant handle constant heavy compounds.

I have been performing 1 exercise for each bodypart 3-4 times a week......workouts are completed in 50 minutes......I like the whole body training system. Reps are anywhere from 8-12.

I love doing full body routines although I have stuck with DC style training lately, I think I will be taking a month rest from it to get a good basic routine in for my one month tester of boladrol in where I can see doing a couple full body workouts in again. Bring the pain:star-:ars

i do full body for about 3 weeks to change it up...forget the milk part in the article...i just have never experienced any benefit first hand...

I like to do it when i am feeling like i am getting bored with my two body parts per day deal.

not 100% full body but at least upper/lower doing pull day and push day split was great

im not huge or anything but just saying...hehe

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner