advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone else use a Sous Vide for cooking meat?

superbigd

Registered
My brother has been using this Sous Vide to cook his meat lately and he's raving about this thing. Supposedly it slowly cooks the meat while its submerged in water in a perfect temperature that enables complete cooking all the way through the meat without any overcooking or undercooking.

I'm considering buying one to try out. Thing is the Sous Vide is around $90 on amazon, but has over 2500 reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...714156&sr=1-10&keywords=polyscience+sous+vide

A guy I work with got one and keeps talking about how great it is. I keep giving him shit saying it’s a hot water heater lol. I’m considering giving one a try since they aren’t expensive

I got one about a year and a half ago and I almost exclusively use it for all my proteins.

Seems like a strange concept until you use it and then you realize they have used them in restaurants for years.

Best $90 you can spend though because it's the easiest way to cook that result in the most consistently amazing meat you can cook. Works for cooking most anything but I usually just stick to proteins.

They're great if you suck or dont now how to cook. And if have a lot of time on your hands.

Air fryer would be even easier really.

They're great if you suck or dont now how to cook. And if have a lot of time on your hands.

Air fryer would be even easier really.

Air fryers are great too but wouldn't say easier really, though better in a time crunch for sure.

Thing I love about the sous vide is you can put a steak in at 128 degrees and let it sit the minimum cook time or all day long, take it out, reverse sear it and come out perfect.

Usually will do that with 5-8lbs of steak and put it in the fridge (still in the airtight bag), then pull out what I want and sear it with some salt and pepper right before a meal.

Do you use special bags rather than ziplock bags all day? I’ve heard using thin bags can impart a bad flavor on the meat

They look interesting but I can’t bring myself to cook something in a plastic bag.

no~

Do you use special bags rather than ziplock bags all day? I’ve heard using thin bags can impart a bad flavor on the meat

I use zip-lock freezer bags (the freezer bags are a ticker plastic than the normal sandwich bags) and just submerge in the water and letting all the air bubbles exit from the pressure from the water, then zip the bag closed.

They suggest using a vacuum sealer to get all the air out but I can't tell the difference between that and using freezer bags. Can't tell any difference in the taste since cooking steak (130ish) is quite a bit colder than something like a microwave, so bags melting isn't really a concern.

As someone who was a chef many years ago....just no! No, no, no, I need fire and searing and grilling, and dancing flames, blood rare to medium rare, char seared filets! Peppercorn crusted meats with reduction sauces I spend days making. No way I’m eating meat gently steamed in a plastic bag. Just sayin!

Best steak of my life came out of a sous vide. Better than some I've had at renowned restaurants

Of course you brown it in a pan after

I would be leary of the product since plastics leech estrogentic compounds especially as they are being heated up. Even BPA free plastics seem to leek themn as well.

Just ordred mine. Didn't know they were so reasonable. Always wanted to pasturize my own egg whites.

I just use my Insta Pot and grill :)

I have an Anova and I sous vide chicken and steak with it.

Buy a torch for it to sear. Works very well

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner