advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone else who can’t do hammer curls without developing bicep tendinitis?

Anyone else who can’t do “hammer curls” without developing painful bicep tendonitis? It’s only my right arm and I’ve had 2 prior surgeries on that arm. One for a right bicep “distal tendon rupture” and a second surgery for a right “proximal bicep tendon” rupture.
When you do hammer curls, you pronate the hand and twist the biceps tendon around the bone. This is where your distal tendon rupture is anchored to the bone with a device, that is what is causing your problem, it's very common in older button-hook repairs. (actually it can be pretty common in even newer repairs)

I've been doing all of my pulling movements with a supinated grip. I have been dealing Tennis Elbow for what seems like 8 months now. It's better than it was but still have pain in my elbow. Even taking time off did not help much. Neither did a shot of cortisone. I'm going to try some Tyler Twists. But yeah, Hammers are no-go for me. So are Neutral Grip Pullups (fav back movement).

I've been doing all of my pulling movements with a supinated grip. I have been dealing Tennis Elbow for what seems like 8 months now. It's better than it was but still have pain in my elbow. Even taking time off did not help much. Neither did a shot of cortisone. I'm going to try some Tyler Twists. But yeah, Hammers are no-go for me. So are Neutral Grip Pullups (fav back movement).
Get you a Therabar. Works wonders. I use the green one

This truly shows that everyone's body is built just a liiiiitttle differently.

Hammer curls is the most natrual curling movement, at least to me. If I spend a couple weeks hitting straight bar barbell curls, my elbows will light up. But hammer curls for whatever feel great. I also am slightly strange in that my upper forearms are just as thick as my biceps. Its not like strange looking, but i look GREAT in those side angle forearm up shots (like everyone does at Expos LOL)...and i swear to god thats from me just not wanting elbow tendonitis and me just hammer curling for years.

I have that exact issue with my right arm. It sucks.

When you do hammer curls, you pronate the hand and twist the biceps tendon around the bone. This is where your distal tendon rupture is anchored to the bone with a device, that is what is causing your problem, it's very common in older button-hook repairs. (actually it can be pretty common in even newer repairs)
You pronate when doing hammer curls?

I thought you kept them in a neutral position, like the position your palms are in naturally when standing, hanging by your side.

Zero supination.

You pronate when doing hammer curls?

I thought you kept them in a neutral position, like the position your palms are in naturally when standing, hanging by your side.

Zero supination.
Pronation and supination is twisting of the wrist/forearm, it doesn't always mean "fully pronated" or "fully supinated."

With hammer curls you are halfway pronated or halfway supinated. The point is, when you are supinated, the biceps tendon is pulling directly up from its (distal) attachment from the bone. When you begin to pronate, the tendon starts to twist around the bone, when you have fully pronated the tendon is very twisted. At this point, the biceps should "shut down" and allow the brachialis and brachioradialis to do the work. BTW the brachialis is always doing MOST OF the work, on any elbow flexion regardless of wrist position.

Hammer curls are more pronated than regular curls, although not fully pronated.

If your biceps isn't "shutting down" on a hammer curl you may need to pronate more. It may also be an effect of the hardware used to reattach the tendon or damage/changes to the tendon itself.

Why? This puts the elbow in a weaker position and forces more stress onto the biceps and the brachialis because the brachioradialis is largely removed from the movement.

This truly shows that everyone's body is built just a liiiiitttle differently.

Hammer curls is the most natrual curling movement, at least to me. If I spend a couple weeks hitting straight bar barbell curls, my elbows will light up. But hammer curls for whatever feel great. I also am slightly strange in that my upper forearms are just as thick as my biceps. Its not like strange looking, but i look GREAT in those side angle forearm up shots (like everyone does at Expos LOL)...and i swear to god thats from me just not wanting elbow tendonitis and me just hammer curling for years.
It's all about the tendon repair in this case.

Why? This puts the elbow in a weaker position and forces more stress onto the biceps and the brachialis because the brachioradialis is largely removed from the movement.
The Brachioradialis is where the pain is. Pronated and neutral grip pulls seem to hurt more than supinated pulls. A PT whose work I read a bit also made this recommendation to pull supinated and to keep the elbows in very close to my torso if it's Tennis Elbow that I'm dealing with. The bottom of the Neutral Grip Pullup (from a dead hang) is absolutely the most uncomfortable position for my elbow. Only thing as bad might be a Preacher Hammer Curl in full extension (the very bottom). You're saying supinated is worse for Tennis Elbow?

The Brachioradialis is where the pain is. Pronated and neutral grip pulls seem to hurt more than supinated pulls. A PT whose work I read a bit also made this recommendation to pull supinated and to keep the elbows in very close to my torso if it's Tennis Elbow that I'm dealing with. The bottom of the Neutral Grip Pullup (from a dead hang) is absolutely the most uncomfortable position for my elbow. Only thing as bad might be a Preacher Hammer Curl in full extension (the very bottom). You're saying supinated is worse for Tennis Elbow?
Oh you are correct, I was thinking about Golfer's elbow, which is often aggravated by the supinated position, Tennis Elbow is essentially the opposite.

Let me clarify what I mean. If you go by joint by joint approach you mobility in the wrist and in the shoulder. If either of those are lacking the elbow will be the middle man taking the brunt of the load and this is how overuse and future tears happen.

Let me clarify what I mean. If you go by joint by joint approach you mobility in the wrist and in the shoulder. If either of those are lacking the elbow will be the middle man taking the brunt of the load and this is how overuse and future tears happen.
You posted a condescending reply and then changed your stance from "Elbow problems stem from the shoulder, not anywhere else," to elbow and wrist -- which is still an overly broad statement that doesn't apply to all circumstances contributing to elbow pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Elbow problems stem from the shoulder, not anywhere else," to elbow and wrist -- which is still an overly broad statement that doesn't apply to all circumstances contributing to elbow pain.
I for one appreciate your always accurate and correct information, and the knowledge that comes behind that.

By the way I consider your modified split (PPL/posterior chain with arms sessions) for the transformation to IFBB pro a unique and interesting contribution. I like to think I keep track of the different methods for training half OK, and I've kept your split as a reference for hypertrophy+strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bicep issues came from your shoulder dysfunction. Might want to look at that and then work on the elbow. Elbow problems stem from the shoulder, not anywhere else.
I’ve had two surgeries on my right shoulder. I’m certain that’s playing a role.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131