over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone ever do surgery for flat feet?

lookslikesausage

Registered
If yes, was it worth it? I have bunions and pain in my feet. lots of my sneakers no longer fit well because of the bunions. I have them most likely due to my flat feet. Podiatrist said that I could get a bunionectomy but there is the risk that they could come back b/c of my flat feet. She said reconstructing my feet would probably be the better option. She said first to start with inserts to see if it helps. She was not pushing surgery at all. She wouldn't even be the one doing it. I hate the idea of having to sit out for 6 months for recovery. That's a long time and at my age I feel like I need to treasure the time I have left to be active. Also have a young daughter I don't want to not be able to hold her and play with her.

I have the same exact issue! My feet are extremely flat and I’m already noticing severe foot issues . Idk, if I’d consider surgery. May just have to find the best shoes and soles for it.

I’d get shoes with rounder toe boxes and a 2E+ width (if the rest of your foot is wide that is) & custom orthotics first man. Worked in a shoe store- more often than not the surgeries people have had on their arches didn’t fix too much. A proper fitting shoe and insoles really can go a long way. Look into new balance specifically. If you do get surgery make sure it’s someone with great credentials

For OTC orthotics i find Superfeet Green works for me. Best arch support i have found in a commercial brand.

Have they always been flat, or did they collapse?

Are they so jacked up that you can't balance on one foot?

Sometimes the alignment issues are due to other muscle imbalances making things worse for people who already have flat feet. Physically altering the foot does not fix the muscle imbalances up the chain. I would get assessments on that stuff first. For me strengthening certain inner thigh muscles and releasing something on the outside of my lower hamstring let my feet line up better in regards to balance and bunions. Those things did not fix the flat feet, but then again I've always had flat feet. In fact when I do wear orthotics to correct them it messes with my hips and knees. The orthotics literally make me bowlegged.

PT should be looking at your degree of foot turnout while doing movements and running. Also looking at how your knee tracks and your pelvic tilt. It is too easy to get micro focused on the feet and miss the big picture.

I have as flat of a foot as is possible. The military still let me in. Shin splints, and everything that goes along with it, are brutal.

I didnt know corrective surgery was an option and honestly I think I would pass. If gotten this far by picking the right shoe. Ive never suffered from bunions either. I tried orthotics and they made walking and doing anything worse.

There is a lot you can do prior to considering surgery. I would do physical therapy and use inserts for a long while unless I was in 10/10 pain. I wonder if they lengthen the posterior tibial tendon? Stretching the calf generically should help to stretch the posterior tibial tendon and posterior chain that draws your arch toward the floor. Also doing open and closed chain ankle supination exercises should help. All that a good physical therapist should be able to help educate you on. Beyond that custom orthotics could help too. All the above should help surgery or no surgery.

Have they always been flat, or did they collapse?

Are they so jacked up that you can't balance on one foot?

Sometimes the alignment issues are due to other muscle imbalances making things worse for people who already have flat feet. Physically altering the foot does not fix the muscle imbalances up the chain. I would get assessments on that stuff first. For me strengthening certain inner thigh muscles and releasing something on the outside of my lower hamstring let my feet line up better in regards to balance and bunions. Those things did not fix the flat feet, but then again I've always had flat feet. In fact when I do wear orthotics to correct them it messes with my hips and knees. The orthotics literally make me bowlegged.

PT should be looking at your degree of foot turnout while doing movements and running. Also looking at how your knee tracks and your pelvic tilt. It is too easy to get micro focused on the feet and miss the big picture.
Have always been flat-footed. Have always been bow-legged. We're pretty sure one leg is longer than the other too. In fact, the longer leg has better quad development, most noticeably in the Vastus Medialis. However, I don't if that has to do with the length discrepancy or knee tracking, which is another issue.

Have always been flat-footed. Have always been bow-legged. We're pretty sure one leg is longer than the other too. In fact, the longer leg has better quad development, most noticeably in the Vastus Medialis. However, I don't if that has to do with the length discrepancy or knee tracking, which is another issue.

If you are already bow legged, adding an artificial arch will make that worse and cause dysfunction at the knee and hip. Again I would go to a good kinesiologist PT. There are most likely muscle imbalances (made worse by bodybuilding) that can be corrected and greatly improve your issues.

I think the main question to ask yourself is, how will the current condition of your feet serve you as you get older? Will you be able to walk correctly, will you be in pain, etc? What will quality of life be? Better to do a surgery when you're younger, when you have a better chance at recovery.

I have remarkably flat feet. Most likely a majority of this board has collapsed arches due to the weight they carry around all day.

For years I struggled with finding the right shoes and orthotics. Went as far as literally flying accross the country to meet with a podiatrist.

I am an endurance athlete running up to ultra marathons frequently and at work on my feet all day. My life was utterly miserable. Around a year ago I switched to barefeet/minimalistic shoes. 0mm drop shoes.

I have zero foot pain now. I can run again without having to pop 800mg ibuprofens before each LSD event (just 200 now haha). It has in all sincerity made a huge change in my quality of life. I highly recommend vivo barefeet shoes.

i have extremely flat feet. and they are big which imo doesnt help at all.
spent $1250 on orthopedic insoles and complete game changer! ankle and knee pain GONE.

oh and HELL NO i aint letting anyone surgically alter my foot!!!! that sounds insane.

As feet seem to flatten as we get older. And gaining weight even if it is muscle will put more strain on them and make them spread out more. I am always surprised on how as people gain weight and their feet hurt they do not consider that they need a bigger shoe.

You lose some padding (fat) on the bottom of your feet as a function of age.

Flat feet don’t necessarily equal bad or problem feet.

(My wife has both, flat feet and almost no padding and it did not stop her from walking the PCT.)

High arches, on the contrary, can be the culprit, contribute to the formation of bunions but is not a requirement. Flat feet could turn out to be not such a bad thing.

Was told this recently getting my new orthotics. They did not ‘cast’ this pair, rather you put your foot, in a standing position, not lying, into a box of this compression, crunchy type of foam and it gives you a perfect foot mold under pressure, far superior the my old pair process of years ago.

I have the start of bunions (thank you Da
D) and I am trying to slow down the inevitable.

Typically a reputable doctor won’t operate unless the bunions are giving you pain. (A long slow recovery not without a certain outcome.) They can and do look like hell but that does not always equal pain.

Also, massage your feet regularly with a good hand lotion. Really dig into the soles of your feet, spread and bend your toes and massage the top tendons of your feet. Having this added flexibility will help.

I wear Altras for my hiking shoes. Cowboy boots as an everyday wear, crocs inside the house. Altras are the best for me hiking. (Hokas are good to.) They have an extra large foot box and have a 0 degree drop which is desirable but rare in shoes.

Enough blabbering on, hope this helps.

youtube exercises for feet pro nation and purchase the highest arch orthopedics on amazon. both helped me

youtube exercises for feet pro nation and purchase the highest arch orthopedics on amazon. both helped me
Amazon. Orthotics? Never knew. Mine set me back 500$. Now I see a similar product / process at upstep.com. Can’t personally vouch for that one.

People take their feet for granted . . . until you have a problem with them, then you start taking care of them, treating them like every other body part.

below is the one i purchased, a while back. after realizing how flat footed I was , I switched to super slow controlled negatives and pauses on leg day. I focus on machines now, I lock myself into a plane of travel and focus on maintaining proper hip, knee, and feet alignment. It's made a drastic difference in my leg development and amount of chiro visits needed in the offseason. I'm really old school minded and I hate making training a "science approach" but it had to be done. I really feel free weight squats and deadlifts may not be for flat footed people. When you start grinding out hard reps with heavy weights, your body will resort to having your feet pronate at the top and cause joint problems and take the work load off of the muscles we are trying to use.​

PCSsole Orthotic High Arch Support Insoles, Comfort Gel Work Boot Insert for Flat Feet, Plantar Fasciitis, Feet Pain, Heel Spur Pain,Metatarsalgia,Over Pronation for Men and Women​

The podiatrist I saw recommended only two brands (Superfeet and Powerstep). If these don't help then recommended I give customs a shot as she didn't recommend spending a lot right off the bat. If those don't work and I still have pain, then she said to consider surgery. Flexible flat feet is what she said I have.

It can slow progression and alleviate pain to do deep tissue therapy and scraping on the calves, which insert in the arch and lateral side of the foot. When calves are overly tight, they can overstretch the plantar aponeurosis, which is the tendon covering the bottom of the foot. Relieving tension in the calf can help return some spring to the bottom of the foot, whole also relieving tension and pain

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws