advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone ever tried going back to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight?

massnup

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I recently switched back to a high carb diet to see if I would get different results but I find it hard to go back to 1 gram of protein per lb of bw after going with 2 grams per pound for a long time. Has anyone else ever had this problem or should someone just stick with 2 grams per lb all the time?

Whenever I do a high carb day I drop my protein down to about 1g per lb. of bw.

On other days it's about 1.5g per lb.

yep, and I can grow just fine off that much too. Sure you need alot of protien but its over rated IMO. Why is it that powerlifters who are only eating 60 or 100 grams of protien a day are still throwing up huge numbers?

I know EDGE250 did and he made great progress.

In my experience anytime i drop my protein down, even when making up the calories from extra carbs and good fats, my weight drops pretty quickly.

I'm on the anabolic diet right now and dropped Pro's down to one gram and upped the fats..Working good for me for the past month.

I think it is an individual thing.. I used to stuff my face with carbs and get around 1 gram per lb of bodyweight.. In the offseason... But then when i would start dieting and jack my protein upto 1.5 to 2 grams and lower my carbs... I would start packing on muscle while i was dieting.. Happens all the time.. So i have finally learned to keep protien high in offseason and add more healthy fats to get my calories up...

I know EDGE250 did and he made great progress.

In my experience anytime i drop my protein down, even when making up the calories from extra carbs and good fats, my weight drops pretty quickly.

X2.

X3

About 10 days ago I switched from about 2x protein and dropped down to 1x, adding in clean carbs and some fats... lost about 6lbs since then, and it ain't bodyfat. :(

So what you guys are saying is when you dropped the protein down from 2 grams per lb to 1 gram per lb you started losing bodyweight even though you increased carbs and fats to make up for it? Did your strenght also start going down?

X3

About 10 days ago I switched from about 2x protein and dropped down to 1x, adding in clean carbs and some fats... lost about 6lbs since then, and it ain't bodyfat. :(

is it even possible to loose 6lbs of muscle in 10 days. :rolleyes:

is it even possible to loose 6lbs of muscle in 10 days. :rolleyes:

lol, depends what sort of stomach flu you've got, but its definitely possible to over react and imagine you lost 6lbs of muscle in 10 days. Suffice to say I've dropped 6lbs and my abs aren't any tighter. :D

lol, depends what sort of stomach flu you've got, but its definitely possible to over react and imagine you lost 6lbs of muscle in 10 days. Suffice to say I've dropped 6lbs and my abs aren't any tighter. :D

lol. i thought you were stating that just by altering you diet you dropped almost 1/2lb of muscle per day.

Calories outweigh protien in my book. You could have 500 grams of protien/day, drop your carbs and calories too low and see how you look/feel. I think it's all about that ratio of protien+carbs +fats which works best for you. but I do not see you withering away by dropping the protien to 1 gram/lb of bodyweight, especially if the protien is from whole food sources and not shakes all day long.

So what you guys are saying is when you dropped the protein down from 2 grams per lb to 1 gram per lb you started losing bodyweight even though you increased carbs and fats to make up for it? Did your strenght also start going down?

Yes and my strength went down, witch would also coincide with loss of muscle. I need 2g/lb of BW to maintain muscle mass.

Yes and my strength went down, witch would also coincide with loss of muscle. I need 2g/lb of BW to maintain muscle mass.

Yes for me too. It took about 2 weeks before i noticed the strength loss.

Like Phil is always saying, you have to experiment on yourself though. What may/may not work for one person may not be true for the other.

I barely ever use anymore than 1 g /lb of bodyweight.

Just dropped to 1g of protein lowered my carbs to 2OOgm's per day and about 8Ogm fat and in 2 weeks i only lost 2oz of fat 14oz water & 1pound of muscle. I went back to 1.5 protein & 240gm carbs & I feel alot better

Calories outweigh protien in my book. You could have 500 grams of protien/day, drop your carbs and calories too low and see how you look/feel. I think it's all about that ratio of protien+carbs +fats which works best for you. but I do not see you withering away by dropping the protien to 1 gram/lb of bodyweight, especially if the protien is from whole food sources and not shakes all day long.

this is the 1st post you have made that i agree with. its all about ratio's.

off the top of my head at a bodyweight of 243 i am taking in approx. 150g of protein from food and approx 45g from lba's per day. so i am well below 1g per lb of bodyweight.

one interesting thing i have noticed recently though. i have added back in red meat in the form of lean sirloin 3-4 times per week for my last meal of the day and i am noticeably fuller.

i havent had red meat in about a year and 1/2, looks like for me i need to keep a certain amount in for optimal progress.

I have also tried 1gm per lb of bodyweight and I do not see the difference a whole alot. I see more of difference with my calorie consumption as a couple of you have stated. And yes I was pretty much a grilled chicken and tuna man, but added in lean ground beef and feel so much better and fuller!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131