over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

anyone ever try superslow lifting technique

jalsmiley

Registered
a guy in my town from back in the 90's always tried to push us to do it when we worked out in his gym...big dude...he actually has some titles as "biggest neck" ha!
i havent tried it since back then but i remember getting being more sore then i ever was after trying it out!
if you never heard anything about it here is info on it...its interesting but i could never get into it enough to give it a chance...
here is clipping about superslow...long read but in short terms...basically you lift very light weight counting the negative movement to 10 secs and then the positive up even to 10 secs....read more for the set part

High Intensity Slow Exercise i.e.:
SuperSlow Protocol

SuperSlow is not just a specific way of performing exercise movements...instead it is an entire philosophy of exercise. Key points as follows...

1) Lift, don’t throw the weight-reduce momentum and kinetic energy as much as possible.

2) Perform the PRECISE LEAST amount of exercise necessary to turn on the growth mechanism.

3) Never perform a workout until completely recovered from the last workout...regulating the volume, frequency, and intensity of workouts is crucial to producing optimal rates of progress. If your workouts are too long and or too frequent you will not only not make any progress but you will probably get weaker.

4) Weightlifting is a sport...building muscle and a strong lean body only requires that you produce very intense muscular contractions against heavy (relatively) resistance...whether they be positive (concentric), static (isometric), negative (eccentric) or any combination thereof. And research has shown that static and negative high intensity muscle contractions are far more effective for the purpose of building strength and lean muscle tissue than positive contractions. So, given the right equipment and exercise environment, you literally never have to “lift” another weight as long as you live...and you can still build all of the muscle that your genetics will allow.

5) All of the above can be condensed to the following few words...Exercise should be Very Intense...Very Brief...Very Infrequent...Very Slow!!!!!!!!!!!

As a practical matter...

Speed of movement

Normal Mode 10 sec pos/10 sec neg... Static 15 sec static/10 sec neg...Neg Mode 10 sec neg only

Breathing...................shallow and rapid, much like La Maz

Number of exercises...as few as 2 or 3...as many as 6 to 10 Sets Per Exercise...almost always 1 in healthy subjects...rehab sometimes requires multiple sets

Frequency of workouts...beginners usually exercise their entire body 3 x week. As they get stronger, they begin to gradually reduce their frequency. The progression goes something like this...3x week to every 3 days to 2x week to every 4 or 5 days to 1/2 body session every three days to 1/2 body session every 4 to 5 days to you get the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Style of performance...the trainee begins to produce muscular force very, very slowly-until that force just exceeds the resistance-at which point the resistance barely starts to move. Once moving, the trainee keeps the resistance moving with constant velocity until he approaches the endpoint of the range of motion (rom) where he decelerates to zero (here he holds and squeezes if the exercise is a rotary movement), changes direction very slowly, and commences with the negative part of the rep. As many reps as possible with the chosen resistance are performed, and when another rep cannot be performed according to prescribed form, the trainee attempts to lift the weight for an additional 10 seconds and then gradually surrenders to the weight and lowers it back down. Now the trainee quickly moves to the next exercise where he begins the above process all over again. All exercises are performed in this exact manner...the effect is a series of anaerobic events performed consecutively producing a profoundly aerobic effect. It actually goes way beyond aerobic fitness into a new area known as metabolic conditioning---the ability for the body to function at close to 100% for a fairly long period of time such as 20-30 minutes. No other type of exercise can produce metabolic ability!

Proper role of exercise in fat loss programs..........is to build muscle in order to raise the metabolism to make it easier to lose fat. 5 pounds of added muscle costs your body 250 to 500 calories per day--the rest is obvious.

Will aerobic exercise speed fat loss...no, no, no, no, no!!! Aerobic exercise really burns very few calories (marathon runners can run 50 miles on one pound of fat and aerobic exercise in almost any amount severely compromises your ability to build body-shaping muscle.

Why is this program so safe...since force (remember it is force that injures) equals mass times acceleration...and we never accelerate our weights so acceleration is almost zero, then it follows that the force of SuperSlow exercises is very, very low. By contrast, the forces involved in jogging, Tai Bo, Martial Arts of all kinds, spinning, and even walking are both much higher and highly repetitive. High force and high repetition is a prescription for disaster.........don’t you do it if you value your health.

So here you have it-everything you’ll ever need to know about exercise. Well not quite, but enough to at least get you on the road to understanding. At Belmar Fitness we don’t know everything there is to know about exercise, but we know a hell of a lot more than anybody else teaching exercise in New Jersey as of

5/1/99. We know what is safe, productive, and efficient and as soon as anything new and worthwhile comes along you can be sure that it will show up immediately in our programs......light-years ahead of the health clubs, hospital wellness centers, and gyms in the state. And that new discovery just might be the result of our ongoing in house research clinic.

Last edited:
btw....most strong guys don't give a fuck about safe...i take gear, drink beer, fuck your sister and lift your than you do.....so i'm not worried much about injuries in the gym

i'm sorry, i know it was rude...i couldn't help it. i'm sure superslow would be great for my dad.

ha..i guess im with you on that and that is why i could never get into it...but i tell ya what...this dude was a big mofo who did it and preached it..joel waldman..i read he won some biggest neck contest at well into mid 20inches on his neck..all muscle not fat at all...funny dude..he would walk his 2 200plus pound english mastiffs down the boardwalk and with him in the middle they took up the whole boardwalk

dude...my neck was 18 inches....lean, when i was 18 years old....it happens....some people are just big. i'm too tall for bodybuilding, but that neck isnt' too uncommon. common trait of irish and german folk. western european as a whole, but those 2 counties, not exclusive, have soem bruts

I don't train like that verbatim but I do move my weights much slower than those around me. I personally SWEAR by that. The negative should especially slow as that is the most important part. Get ready to get flamed as most would never lighten the weight in order to feel the muscle do the work. A very controversial topic for sure.

I don't train like that verbatim but I do move my weights much slower than those around me. I personally SWEAR by that. The negative should especially slow as that is the most important part. Get ready to get flamed as most would never lighten the weight in order to feel the muscle do the work. A very controversial topic for sure.

ha...i just asking if other had success..like i said, i could never get into it...just not my type of training or cup of tea you might say!!...but i believe the modern approach/importance of negatives is actually derived from this training...im 33 and back in grammar school this guy was training people with this method

it's bunk

unless you want to gain as slowly as possible. Lift as fast as you can with little momentum for fast gains.

unless you want to gain as slowly as possible. Lift as fast as you can with little momentum for fast gains.

See to me I think this is only half right. If you take a look at the force velocity curve, various studies, and real world examples. There is a benefit to both and can be used in an exercise. The slower the eccentric part of a lift (to an extent) the greater the force applied, while the faster the concentric the higher the velocity. Because during the eccentric phase muscles become more and more elongated, and in being so must apply a greater force on a given load to keep from tearing. While the concentric phase, at which point, I would recommend a higher velocity, the muscles should instantly react, and that fast eccentric reaction produces a greater load on the muscles (laws of gravity). Mechanisms can be manipulated outside the external load you have. This is why I think a slower eccentric (3-6 sec) and a fast eccentric (1-2) seconds will contribute to the greatest gains.

When you say that one should lift as fast they can with control, are they necessarily doing the most good. This is just something to ask yourself. If you can manipulate ofther factors outside of what you see why not do it? I think a concentric slow phase is not a great idea, and I will definitely tell you that you are right on that

controlled speed reps

have always been much more productive for me versus "going for the burn". Exhausting the muscle as fast as you can under semi-strict fashion is the only way I'll train. I've tried just about every style imaginable and this way works the best for me. My good bro used to do the slow-mo style and I told him to try my way. Now he's gaining much quicker than he had been. No other change in his regimen.

See to me I think this is only half right. If you take a look at the force velocity curve, various studies, and real world examples. There is a benefit to both and can be used in an exercise. The slower the eccentric part of a lift (to an extent) the greater the force applied, while the faster the concentric the higher the velocity. Because during the eccentric phase muscles become more and more elongated, and in being so must apply a greater force on a given load to keep from tearing. While the concentric phase, at which point, I would recommend a higher velocity, the muscles should instantly react, and that fast eccentric reaction produces a greater load on the muscles (laws of gravity). Mechanisms can be manipulated outside the external load you have. This is why I think a slower eccentric (3-6 sec) and a fast eccentric (1-2) seconds will contribute to the greatest gains.

When you say that one should lift as fast they can with control, are they necessarily doing the most good. This is just something to ask yourself. If you can manipulate ofther factors outside of what you see why not do it? I think a concentric slow phase is not a great idea, and I will definitely tell you that you are right on that

Yes, I do super slow lifting, primarily for my chest as I find it the best way to fully tax the pecs. I do my normal lifting and pyramid up then on my drop set I do one set at super slow motion.

positives must be as fast as posible, it´s on the negative when you want to be slower

This is a good write-up on the efficacy and application of super-slow training:
**broken link removed**

I see it differently

Look at Olympic sprinters, say 100 meter sprinters, and tell me how heavily muscled they are compared to ,say, a marathon runner. Do you think they would have accumulated as much mass as they have from running 100 meters...SLOWLY?

Compared to a marathon runner who runs much slower, albeit much farther, the runner exerting maximum effort as fast as possible will have more muscle, right?

I believe muscles are designed for speed. I think to get the best results you should be pushing as hard as you can under control.

I think the same applies to how long you spend training during a session. The shorter the better.

Just my experience.

Last edited:
I do slow negatives and explosive positives. I forget the terminology but like coneccentric and eccentric I think?

Look at Olympic sprinters, say 100 meter sprinters, and tell me how heavily muscled they are compared to ,say, a marathon runner. Do you think they would have accumulated as much mass as they have from running 100 meters...SLOWLY?

Compared to a marathon runner who runs much slower, albeit much farther, the runner exerting maximum effort as fast as possible will have more muscle, right?

I believe muscles are designed for speed. I think to get the best results you should be pushing as hard as you can under control.

I think the same applies to how long you spend training during a session. The shorter the better.

Just my experience.

I see a lot of sprinters who lift weights, and very few who dont. Marathon runners, well all they do is run it seems like lol. Sure the sprinter would have more muscle.

Yes, I believe most muscles were built for speed within their genetic limit. You'll see some people can just BLOW marathon runners out of the water because they were born with a freakish amount of slow twitch fibers and likewise you'll see the same on the other side spectrum.

But as I said earlier, why wouldn't you want to manipulate the load. Say if one were to do a negative and just sit in the very bottom of a lift. Lets use a curl for example; with the bicep curl sitting in the lowest position (not the bar hanging down but at a point were the bar is low and the bicep will still have to remain contracted) the stretched muscle fibers will immediately have to exert more force to keep from tearing. As you stay in that position longer the more and more force has to be created to hold this external load because of exhausted fibers. Then with a quick explosion up, you've created even more force on that muscle. I'm not sayin slow training is effective in every portion of the lift. But during the eccentric and isometric phases of a lift I feel slow training is very beneficial. It's a means to which we can increase the load without increasing the external load...

I've tried the 10 sec. positives and 5 sec. negatives using as heavy a weight as possible. It becomes very difficult when using heavy weights.

Just my experience.

That analogy is always used but is completely irrelevant since sprinters are into (heavy) weightlifting and marathon runners aren't. For example we have a Belgian female sprinter squatting over 400 pounds. I'm sure the top male dogs squat even more

That analogy is always used but is completely irrelevant since sprinters are into (heavy) weightlifting and marathon runners aren't. For example we have a Belgian female sprinter squatting over 400 pounds. I'm sure the top male dogs squat even more

I agree with you, but in his defense I think that a lot of sprinters would still have more muscle than marathon runners...

I think I remember hearing not too long ago that Usain Bolt just recently started lifting. I could be wrong, and it's something I heard on the radio, so who knows whether that is the truth.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear