YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone ever work as a subcontracted trainer?

epoxy

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Might have an opportunity at a franchised Gold's Gym to work as their Director of PT. Thing is, I would not be working for Gold's directly, as they hire a 3rd party contractor for their trainers. Basically it seems like I would be in charge of the hiring of trainers, and responsible for the gym sales quota for training session packages.

I am curious to hear if anyone has experience with working for a 3rd party contractor in a gym. My biggest concerns lie with the fact that it's highly doubtful I would be offered healthcare, and usually as a contractor you have to file taxes quarterly and usually pay a lot more than your average person. Any input would be appreciated. The job has a relatively low base (probably 30k max) with bonus potential averaging 2-3k a month and you also work out some of the clients and have the ability to make a couple hundred extra a week doing that. I was told it would likely be 50-60 hours a week, as well.

I held the position of a trainer with your position as my boss. Very shitty job. I felt like i was stealing and cheating people. This was for LA fitness though.

I am concerned about this. It is most definitely a sales goal driven opportunity. I am hoping the contracted company in question has some compassion and is inclined to want to actually help individuals, but I won't hold my breath.

The company wants money. I morally had to quit that job. It was numbers driven and did not care about anyone. I was taught how to swindle people into buying training packages with random people as there trainers. If it pays the hills go for it. And if you love sales jobs go for it. But if you have a conscious it will be a challenge for you.

Might have an opportunity at a franchised Gold's Gym to work as their Director of PT. Thing is, I would not be working for Gold's directly, as they hire a 3rd party contractor for their trainers. Basically it seems like I would be in charge of the hiring of trainers, and responsible for the gym sales quota for training session packages.

I am curious to hear if anyone has experience with working for a 3rd party contractor in a gym. My biggest concerns lie with the fact that it's highly doubtful I would be offered healthcare, and usually as a contractor you have to file taxes quarterly and usually pay a lot more than your average person. Any input would be appreciated. The job has a relatively low base (probably 30k max) with bonus potential averaging 2-3k a month and you also work out some of the clients and have the ability to make a couple hundred extra a week doing that. I was told it would likely be 50-60 hours a week, as well.

"as they hire a 3rd party contractor for their trainers"

if I am understanding you correctly, Golds is paying another company for your services. I know that we have hired attorney's to work on large document review projects and although their legal relationship to our firm was that of an independent contractor, they were employees of the company that 'contracted' them out to us.
If Gold's is paying you directly and not taking taxes out, and plans on providing you with a 1099 then you are an independent contractor and you wont have healthcare and will have to pay your own taxes.
Quarterlies are based on the year before, they are prepayments to the IRS
you wont know how much you will have to pay so try to keep roughly 33% aside for taxes. I am not sure of that figure maybe some business owners can provide better advice regarding the taxes

if I am understanding you correctly, Golds is paying another company for your services. I know that we have hired attorney's to work on large document review projects and although their legal relationship to our firm was that of an independent contractor, they were employees of the company that 'contracted' them out to us.
If Gold's is paying you directly and not taking taxes out, and plans on providing you with a 1099 then you are an independent contractor and you wont have healthcare and will have to pay your own taxes.
you wont know how much you will have to pay so try to keep roughly 33% aside for taxes. I am not sure of that figure maybe some business owners can provide better advice regarding the taxes

Yeah it seems like these franchised Gold's hire a 3rd party to hire their trainers and PT manager rather than doing it all themselves. This likely cuts on cost by not having to pay these employees benefits and have an HR department to do interviews/screenings/etc. I was moreso curious to see if anyone had worked in a position like this to see what the pay was like. I was already told the salary would be low and the commission would be higher and based on the revenue generated by adding new clients. A bonus would be paid out monthly for this, as well as extra weekly pay based on the clients you work out. I was always under the impression that Managers didn't actually work people out, but were moreso responsible for the sales quota of the gym. Seems like with this they do a little bit of everything.

Sounds about right for a single guy or middle class. That is why when you make a certain amount of money, you need a corp. In his case, sounds like he is really working for someone as a commission sales man. They can take out taxes out at that time through your pay check on a regular bases, or they can just pay you the full amount and 1099 you the end of the year. I 1099 my sub contractors.

Now even though he will get 1099, they are still required to pay minimum wage for hours work, weather he made money or not. He is still an employee of that company and they have to abide by laws for labor. The only exception is if he is a salary paid person. I would put aside the taxes you suggested, he will get taxed at the end of year, if they don't take taxes out.

He needs to get a agreement or contract before work begins. In there, he will get all terms and conditions. I would highly suggest this. Make sure that this sub contractor has liability Insurance to cover you. If they do not, you will have to pay for that too.

Sounds about right for a single guy or middle class. That is why when you make a certain amount of money, you need a corp. In his case, sounds like he is really working for someone as a commission sales man. They can take out taxes out at that time through your pay check on a regular bases, or they can just pay you the full amount and 1099 you the end of the year. I 1099 my sub contractors.

Now even though he will get 1099, they are still required to pay minimum wage for hours work, weather he made money or not. He is still an employee of that company and they have to abide by laws for labor. The only exception is if he is a salary paid person. I would put aside the taxes you suggested, he will get taxed at the end of year, if they don't take taxes out.

He needs to get a agreement or contract before work begins. In there, he will get all terms and conditions. I would highly suggest this. Make sure that this sub contractor has liability Insurance to cover you. If they do not, you will have to pay for that too.

So I called back to verify and it turns out I would actually be an employee of the contractor and not an independent contractor myself. That being said, they still do not currently offer health insurance benefits to their employees despite them being salaried and working over 40 hours a week. I thought this was no longer acceptable though?

So I called back to verify and it turns out I would actually be an employee of the contractor and not an independent contractor myself. That being said, they still do not currently offer health insurance benefits to their employees despite them being salaried and working over 40 hours a week. I thought this was no longer acceptable though?

the Obama administration announced that it will delay for one year the “employer mandate,” which is the penalty on businesses with 50 or more employees who don’t provide insurance to their workforce- July 2, 2013

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear