advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone have experience doing Goodmornings?

so how far should you bend forward on standing good mornings and how far should you stop from standing straight up?

There's really no right depth. There's tons of different variations, even with standing GMs. Refer to the link posted by JeffD. Many may feel they go to parallel with the ground but when you really do that it feels like the bar will roll over your head. :D

Do not round your back while doing goodmornings and make sure you take a deep breath while bending. You can have SLIGHTLY bent legs while performing the movement as well.

Do you think it's always dangerous to round the back on any variation of GMs? It's my understanding that if you maintain an arch the erectors are worked statically/isometrically as opposed to dynamically (lengthening/shortening). Like with hyperextensions, how you position yourself on the bench (where you bend, the hip or the low back) decides which muscles are worked and how.

If I do GMs straddled on a bench and bend over until my face touches the bench the back will round some. :D

Does this look dangerous? It sure does. :D

YouTube - EliteFTS.com - Seated Goodmorning *a classic

Last edited:
Do you think it's always dangerous to round the back on any variation of GMs? It's my understanding that if you maintain an arch the erectors are worked statically/isometrically as opposed to dynamically (lengthening/shortening). Like with hyperextensions, how you position yourself on the bench (where you bend, the hip or the low back) decides which muscles are worked and how.

If I do GMs straddled on a bench and bend over until my face touches the bench the back will round some. :D

Bro, I was waiting for that guy's back to snap like a twig. It looks like an exercise where a weight belt would really help out. Do seated GMs hit the Hams like standing GMs do?

Bro, I was waiting for that guy's back to snap like a twig. It looks like an exercise where a weight belt would really help out. Do seated GMs hit the Hams like standing GMs do?

I know my inner thighs and glutes get really sore. Not so much hams.

I don't think you could do that exercise in that manner with a belt. Gets in the way, even if not going nearly as deep. Hell, just my gut gets in the way. :D

No, its not always dangerous. From a really good blog: **broken link removed**

There’s a difference in cat-backing and in pulling/bending round-backed intentionally and knowingly when you’ve developed the strength to handle it. Strength is not only an adaptation of the muscles and nervous system, remember. Connective tissues have to adapt as well. Just as an experienced powerlifter can handle 1RM squat weights without injury, it’s just as possible that experienced strength athletes will adapt both anatomically and technically to a round-backed style of pulling/bending.

If youre a newbie at these lifts, rounding is def not a good idea because you need to strengthen the connective tissues to handle the load before attempting to round. Most people will be stronger in the musculature than in the connective tissue during a rounded lift so the injury potential is higher. When you see advanced lifters round in the DL or GM consistently, theyve adapted to it. By developing the isometric strength of the trunk muscles, postural stability of the lumbar spine can be maintained even in flexion. The hips and other related muscles are actually handling the loads, while the spine itself remains stable. As long as the spine power is low, then the risk of injury is low.

I hurt my lower back 20 plus years ago and after the recovery I started doing them to strenthen up my weak back.
It did wonders for it.
I would suggest starting light and working your way up.
It is very easy to injure your back and it will stop you dead in your track if you do so.

bar positioning

i've learned to place the bar over my rear delts rather than neck area to stay balanced, everybody else do this?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws