over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Here Grow From Higher Reps?

The problem with higher reps is that on some exercises they are way more taxing and programming becomes an issue. Even at a much lower volume it can run you into the ground. The quad component of a leg workout might look like this:

Squats
Leg presses
Hack squats

Two work sets to failure; 6-8 and 10-12 for example. I think most people have probably done something similar at some point and that can be tough, but manageable. Now take the same workout and try to do it as 12-16 and 16-20. That will 100% destroy you if you take those sets to true failure. Much more than the lower rep ranges.

Injuries can occur in any rep range, but it's the training to failure that increases this risk. It's only in bodybuilding where programs revolve and are based around failure. In the other parts of the lifting community (powerlifting, strongman, olympic) it's either not used or used rarely. And while I know their goal isn't muscular development there are some thick people from those sports. The whole intensity (failure) above all else in training is largely a western mindset. Eastern Bloc countries like Russia, Iceland, Germany etc laugh at the way we train in North America.

I'd be curious to hear @Ben Pollack comment on this as he comes from powerlifting where low reps, volume, and not training to failure are part of the programming and how as people get older how they can keep training without necessarily doing only 15+ reps on everything.

On push day I have to go heavy because of shoulder injuries, using higher reps my joint gives before my muscles reach failure. Overall I prefer 5-10 reps on compound movements 8-15 on isolation and somtimes higher reps for legs.

The problem with higher reps is that on some exercises they are way more taxing and programming becomes an issue. Even at a much lower volume it can run you into the ground. The quad component of a leg workout might look like this:

Squats
Leg presses
Hack squats

Two work sets to failure; 6-8 and 10-12 for example. I think most people have probably done something similar at some point and that can be tough, but manageable. Now take the same workout and try to do it as 12-16 and 16-20. That will 100% destroy you if you take those sets to true failure. Much more than the lower rep ranges.

Injuries can occur in any rep range, but it's the training to failure that increases this risk. It's only in bodybuilding where programs revolve and are based around failure. In the other parts of the lifting community (powerlifting, strongman, olympic) it's either not used or used rarely. And while I know their goal isn't muscular development there are some thick people from those sports. The whole intensity (failure) above all else in training is largely a western mindset. Eastern Bloc countries like Russia, Iceland, Germany etc laugh at the way we train in North America.

I'd be curious to hear @Ben Pollack comment on this as he comes from powerlifting where low reps, volume, and not training to failure are part of the programming and how as people get older how they can keep training without necessarily doing only 15+ reps on everything.

Nothing personal.

My opinion (bolded) . . . wrong, wrong, wrong. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If contested, please read my earlier post here on the subject before if are interested in
a meaningful, subjective explanation on the subject.

I would not touch your other comments with a ten foot as I have neither the time nor
the inclination at this point in time.

So if I'm in the middle of an exercise and some jackass keeps on asking me how many more sets I have, I play a game where I stop, say "oh, just one" and then pick a moderate weight and do 50 reps using rest pause. This obviously takes several minutes, during which the person usually gets more and more irritated and then storms off cursing. Honestly these have been some of my best work sets, lol. With barbells you can also do the endless drop set.

On push day I have to go heavy because of shoulder injuries, using higher reps my joint gives before my muscles reach failure. Overall I prefer 5-10 reps on compound movements 8-15 on isolation and somtimes higher reps for legs.
This is super interesting and backs up my thinking, for some high reps are best, for others low reps are best but overall a combination of the two is best :)

An interesting study: https://ergo-log.com/building-muscles-with-low-loads-train-them-to-failure.html

"As for muscle mass, the picture was a bit more complex. When the men trained to failure with relatively heavy weights, they built up just as much muscle mass as when the men did not train to failure with relatively heavy weights. Exercising with relatively small weights was just as effective - if the thigh nuscles had been trained to failure. "

Different body parts different rep ranges.

I do a variety of rep ranges for all body parts with some parts getting more emphasis on high and some more on low reps.

Legs get higher reps. 15-20. But one thing i learned. I find i do better if i start my workouts off with a heavy low rep excercise.

For instance if i start leg day with heavy squats for sets of 5 or maybe even lower, then ill be able to use more weight on my remaining excercises that get 15-20 reps, than if i started off with 15-20 right from the get go.

The heavy sets with lower reps boot my CNS up and allow me to use more weight and intensity on the higher rep sets.

Reps are for the most part arbitrary.. if you perform 6 reps and it takes you 30 seconds.. or you perform 10 reps and it takes you 30 seconds is there really any difference worth noting? Take it to failure or even a rep short and you'll grow.. but people train with different cadences.. so one man's 10 reps is another man's 6 in regards to time under tension.. go to failure. Train intense.. the muscle will adapt..

Many start to train with high reps and train in a faster rep cadencd.. example:.. yesterday I did cable preacher curls ( one arm).. used 60lbs and did a cadence of 1 second up.. hold contraction 2 seconds.. then three seconds eccentric.. got 8 reps to failure.. my second set I did more explosive.. 1 second up no hold on contraction and one second down.. got 13 reps.. so the load was the same.. both sets to faikure.. reps are arbitrary and it depends on cadence etc.. just train intense with adequate loads..

For instance if i start leg day with heavy squats for sets of 5 or maybe even lower, then ill be able to use more weight on my remaining excercises that get 15-20 reps, than if i started off with 15-20 right from the get go.

The heavy sets with lower reps boot my CNS up and allow me to use more weight and intensity on the higher rep sets.

That's because there is less accumulated fatigue.

Usually I use 5-10 reps per set. But after making some calculations based upon the athletes online, it does appear that guys using higher reps do better in bodybuilding.

Right now my interest is in the idea of body weight exercises. Those who do them usually sport impressive muscle maturity. If they often progressively added resistance and ate more, they could look like bodybuilders.

So I'll be looking into upping my rep range.

Two things that I've found very beneficial. Keep intensity higher. Doesn't matter if you are doing higher reps or lower reps. The other thing is not to fixate on numbers if you are hitting them every time. For example if you're going to do a set of 15 and you hit 15 you prob needed to use a little more. I feel like it's easy to get complacent and only do the number of reps you have in your head when physically you could do much much more.

I dont count reps for sets for the most part. If i were to ballpark it id say most of my sets are between 8-25 reps. I used to do much lower rep ranges but it just silly to be honest unless you are a strength athlete.

I grow just fine off higher rep ranges. I push myself hard on many sets often a rep or two shy of failure and some sets to failure on machines or cables. Safe intensity grows muscles just fine. i use controlled reps, constant tension, no bouncing, i hold contractions, sometimes slow negatives and isometrics. I havent 1 rep maxed in maybe 8 years and i dont care what i can bench anymore. I look good and feel good.

If at the end of the workout my muscles are tired, i trained them hard and i didnt hurt myself then it was a damn good workout.

My whole life I've primarily trained in the 6-12 rep range excluding legs. Recently I have switched to 15-25 reps, slightly less rest between sets and slightly higher volume and am toying with the idea of hitting each muscle group 2x a week, while also tweaking volume again to less per workout. Needed a change. Anyone have good results doing anything similar?
I’ve discovered I grow much better from the 25-50 rep range...but here’s the thing..I only think it’s because of the 1-5 rep range I’ve done forever for powerlifting.

about 2 years ago I wanted to do more reps, and was reading about the “super squats” program. I decided to apply that bench and seated overheads as well as squats.

so, I did the 20 rep stuff every other day and my accessories(bodybuilding stuff)on the in between days..I took no days off. I never grew that much that fast without pinning every day.

essentially super squats turns your 5 rep Max into your 20 rep Max in I believe 6 weeks. It will kill you in the gym..I’m talking a set of squats taking 3 minutes to do, bar on your back the whole time, finger tips going numb type stuff.

I recommend anyone try it for at least a training cycle just to get your mind into pushing itself again.

I always used high reps

At my best ever i was hitting every muscle 3x week

Day 1 chest-back-delts-traps , day 2 quads-hams-calves -bis-tris repeat with sunday off

5 sets each excercise 12-30 reps

Respect

Squats
Leg presses
Hack squats

I recant this comment. I was wrong.

As topic is refreshed I will continue, High reps will give me something low reps will never do. That feeling in every fibre and amazing pump that skin want to burst, amazing feeling really great, in comparison lower reps kinda sucks, the only feeling I have is : OK done, no pump no great mind muscle connection. Does it build mass? Of course but higher reps is pure fun and I can do so much more with it - pause squeeze etc with heavy load not so much.

As topic is refreshed I will continue, High reps will give me something low reps will never do. That feeling in every fibre and amazing pump that skin want to burst, amazing feeling really great, in comparison lower reps kinda sucks, the only feeling I have is : OK done, no pump no great mind muscle connection. Does it build mass? Of course but higher reps is pure fun and I can do so much more with it - pause squeeze etc with heavy load not so much.
Time under tension/simply under weight is a thing that most don’t consider enough

I get the most outta 6-8 reps with 6 reps. More than 8 reps I'm to lite. Less than 6 to heavy. Now legs I switch between volume and weight month to month

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws