over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Here Grow From Higher Reps?

The problem with higher reps is that on some exercises they are way more taxing and programming becomes an issue. Even at a much lower volume it can run you into the ground. The quad component of a leg workout might look like this:

Squats
Leg presses
Hack squats

Two work sets to failure; 6-8 and 10-12 for example. I think most people have probably done something similar at some point and that can be tough, but manageable. Now take the same workout and try to do it as 12-16 and 16-20. That will 100% destroy you if you take those sets to true failure. Much more than the lower rep ranges.

Injuries can occur in any rep range, but it's the training to failure that increases this risk. It's only in bodybuilding where programs revolve and are based around failure. In the other parts of the lifting community (powerlifting, strongman, olympic) it's either not used or used rarely. And while I know their goal isn't muscular development there are some thick people from those sports. The whole intensity (failure) above all else in training is largely a western mindset. Eastern Bloc countries like Russia, Iceland, Germany etc laugh at the way we train in North America.

I'd be curious to hear @Ben Pollack comment on this as he comes from powerlifting where low reps, volume, and not training to failure are part of the programming and how as people get older how they can keep training without necessarily doing only 15+ reps on everything.

In terms of hypertrophy, I dont think there is a significant difference between reps when muscular failure has been obtained. Although this would be a question for Dr. Scott Stevenson or Dante?

As you age, you dont have a choice anyway. Either increase the reps and continue to hit failure, or keep pushing 1-6 reps and get injured eventually.

Ya it works. But then again so has every training method Iv used if I put everything into it. After all the joint surgeries I lightened it up a ton on everything and upped the rep range to 20-30 reps. Funny thing was, after doing this for a few months my body really changed. And I better look. Totally recomped me. I seem to be Able to get grainy and veiny much easier training this way. I just look harder. And it is so much easier on my connective tissue. If someone would’ve told me when I was young you didn’t have to train heavy enough so that shit your pants all the time it was OK to train light with a lot of repetitions but nobody trained like that when I started doing that it was squat till you puke or get the fuck out. And all of us have tons of injuries from training like hulk apes lol I’m not as strong as I once was but it’s no longer a goal of mine. Just pretty much vanity sake at this point. Back in the gym for 2 weeks. After a year and a half off of drugs and no training at all. I’m natty for the time being. My body is changing fast so I see no need for aas until the gains stop. I’m going to try and gain 20llbs naturally before I turn on the switch.

I used to compete in powerlifting and squatted in the mid 800's and five reps were considered high. I had people ask me why I didn't train my legs as they were pretty skinny.
Now like I said earlier in the thread I shoot for at least 12 but really go for anywhere between 15-30 reps per set, three sets. A 600 lb squat would probably bury me but my legs are much larger.

I just want to point out that I’m not against high reps, but was presenting a different viewpoint for the sake of discussion. I quite enjoy higher reps and find more consistent progress utilizing them. On some exercises I can progress in the higher range, but not in a lower range.

I’m still wondering how some of you program though. I can see an entire workout utilizing higher reps in a full-body or upper/lower split as you are typically only doing one or two exercises per body part. But in a split routine utilizing multiple exercises, I don’t know how you could survive a back or leg day. @Dens228 , you said you do legs with three sets 15-30 reps. How so? I mean, if you can do three sets of 30 in the squat to true failure you are an android, model T-1000 :cool:

Also, for Dante’s rest-pause methods for older lifters where it’s recommended to have the first part at 12 reps so you end up with something like 12 + 5 + 3 = 20 RP; you’re hitting single-digit reps on the second and third loops. What makes them safer in this regard? Is it the increased blood flow from the initial 12 that helps protect the muscle, joints, and connective tissue?

I just want to point out that I’m not against high reps, but was presenting a different viewpoint for the sake of discussion. I quite enjoy higher reps and find more consistent progress utilizing them. On some exercises I can progress in the higher range, but not in a lower range.

I’m still wondering how some of you program though. I can see an entire workout utilizing higher reps in a full-body or upper/lower split as you are typically only doing one or two exercises per body part. But in a split routine utilizing multiple exercises, I don’t know how you could survive a back or leg day. @Dens228 , you said you do legs with three sets 15-30 reps. How so? I mean, if you can do three sets of 30 in the squat to true failure you are an android, model T-1000 :cool:

Also, for Dante’s rest-pause methods for older lifters where it’s recommended to have the first part at 12 reps so you end up with something like 12 + 5 + 3 = 20 RP; you’re hitting single-digit reps on the second and third loops. What makes them safer in this regard? Is it the increased blood flow from the initial 12 that helps protect the muscle, joints, and connective tissue?
I think that the big factor is that you are able to make squatting 495 lbs feel like 545 lbs or more buy doing the drop sets. Instant intensity. So the stimulus feels similar to a much heavier weight, less load on the body.

Its age related as well. I did both, im nobody but ive done both. Now, early 50s i watch out for injuries cant recover as fast. So, no problem. Higher reps, adjust diet, etc etc Look even better thats the sick part My body is fkn busted out serving in tier 1 units. now i just want to look decent. Be healthy High reps, diet, thrown in some trt level shit. bloods ok what else you want

The problem with higher reps is that on some exercises they are way more taxing and programming becomes an issue. Even at a much lower volume it can run you into the ground. The quad component of a leg workout might look like this:

Squats
Leg presses
Hack squats

Two work sets to failure; 6-8 and 10-12 for example. I think most people have probably done something similar at some point and that can be tough, but manageable. Now take the same workout and try to do it as 12-16 and 16-20. That will 100% destroy you if you take those sets to true failure. Much more than the lower rep ranges.

Injuries can occur in any rep range, but it's the training to failure that increases this risk. It's only in bodybuilding where programs revolve and are based around failure. In the other parts of the lifting community (powerlifting, strongman, olympic) it's either not used or used rarely. And while I know their goal isn't muscular development there are some thick people from those sports. The whole intensity (failure) above all else in training is largely a western mindset. Eastern Bloc countries like Russia, Iceland, Germany etc laugh at the way we train in North America.

I'd be curious to hear @Ben Pollack comment on this as he comes from powerlifting where low reps, volume, and not training to failure are part of the programming and how as people get older how they can keep training without necessarily doing only 15+ reps on everything.

Iceland and Germany are not eastern block countrys, fyi.

I think this is great training when your maintaining muscle using 70% of what you could use

Do you gentleman in your 50s find you’re any more prone to injury With certain exercises in the high rep range (is sq, bench, DL)?

The answer may be in the fact that I don't really do any of those three anymore anyway ;)

Sure you can grow on high reps. If anything change it up every so often as the body adapts to training over time.

I was just going to post a similar question / thread. I've had the most shoulder surgeries on here I bet. 6 total. I really need a reverse shoulder replacement but im considered too young at 47 and active. I have no rotator cuffs left and they are way too retracted to to anything with. I flew out of state for a somewhat experimental procedure known as an SCR and I also did the bicep tenodesis. No luck with that SCR and my shoulder is jacked..and that was in May. the bottom line is my heavy lifting days (especially pressing motions) are over. Ill try and ease back into the gym in August. I'll be forced to all high rep and lower weight. Im worried I wont put on the muscle mass I have in the past with my heavy weight and 6-10 rep range. Glad some ya'll are saying you can get some good gains from higher rep movements.

Very true! The rep when form begins to move from strict to sloppy is the rep the set should end. Period! Anything beyond this point is a recipe for disaster. Common knowledge for the most part, excluding complete newbs

Sure you can grow on high reps. If anything change it up every so often as the body adapts to training over time.
Perfectly stated

I like to use high reps until I notice gains slowing down then switch to low reps until my joints start bitching then back to medium or high reps. Works like a Rolex

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws