over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Here Grow From Higher Reps?

I do push/pull/legs and hit everything twice per week. One heavy day for power and one hypertrophy day for growth

This has generally been my bread and butter... what does your heavy and hypertrophy days look like in regards to volume?

Perfectly stated

I like to use high reps until I notice gains slowing down then switch to low reps until my joints start bitching then back to medium or high reps. Works like a Rolex
Did same with bar training. My joints had to adjust, got gains, then month 2, i added plate carrier with front / back sapi plates. Made more gains with same high rep range, then doubled up plates. Now i can barely get 12-15 reps pulls / chins, super sets. but again, making gains. Very tough sessions. Once per week i do no plates for super fkn high reps. Play with it. Im not a BBer per se, never was but im 200lbs ripped. diet tight, trt etc. 5'10 early 50s Satisfied... for now. lol Best shape of my life i was 19, 170lbs jacked run through walls, Im going back to that for health reasons and i see no future in huge mass, just pain. JMO

Also, for Dante’s rest-pause methods for older lifters where it’s recommended to have the first part at 12 reps so you end up with something like 12 + 5 + 3 = 20 RP; you’re hitting single-digit reps on the second and third loops. What makes them safer in this regard? Is it the increased blood flow from the initial 12 that helps protect the muscle, joints, and connective tissue?
I use the higher reps for the RP sets. But.......my first set is even higher now, around 15. With this I'm also usually able to keep the last part to about 4 or 5 reps also. As long as I do my part with form and rest my joints are fine other than the occasional strain you get from any rep range at any age.

Also, for Dante’s rest-pause methods for older lifters where it’s recommended to have the first part at 12 reps so you end up with something like 12 + 5 + 3 = 20 RP; you’re hitting single-digit reps on the second and third loops. What makes them safer in this regard? Is it the increased blood flow from the initial 12 that helps protect the muscle, joints, and connective tissue?
I also believe on DC training for older lifters is to get to a higher total amount of reps to, not just 20. I just started doing rest-pause, not necessarily DC, this week shooting for 35-40 total reps. 12-10-8-6 and sometimes another 5 or 6 reps.

Used to grind out 6-9's in my young buck days. Moved that up to about 9-13 until about age 34....then moved that up again after 34 years of age to about 9-20 past the age of 34....at about 42 I moved that up to about 12-25.....now in my 50's i train pretty much 12-30 (alot of stuff in the 16-30 range).......its always heavy and progressive...always.

There is a very simple mentality i have....you can take chances in your 20's and early 30's that you cannot take in your 40's and 50's via joint integrity. Jump off a 6 foot wall at 24 and your off and running...do that at 44 and you take a good chance of blowing out both your patella tendons....it is what it is.

For some reason people think 16-30 is "light"....I grind out things in that rep range that the young cats in my gym cant approach....I just keep in that range out of "potential risk" factor....Im not willing to risk a tricep tendon tear or patella tendon tear by grinding out 5-8's at this point in my life. Its not throwing in the towel at all....a 20 rep squat or a 30 rep leg press with a boatload of weight that you have never accomplished before builds muscle mass....a reverse grip bench press for 20 reps that you have never done before builds muscle mass....a 20 rep smith front shoulder press at a weight you have never accomplished before builds muscle mass. I do it just like I did when i used to grind out lower reps in my 20's...I wrap my elbows with my inzer knee wraps, slaughter my log books last weeks stats and just grind.....

I do think its very beneficial while your in your 20's to grind out some 5-9's while your joints are indestructible...it builds a power base that allows things to adjust very easily when its time to move the rep ranges up.

Try pulley rowing big weights for 16-20 reps or squatting big weights for 20 reps or shoulder pressing a machine press for 16-20 reps with the stack and some 45's chained to it.....not exactly easy or a walk in the park.

Do you gentleman in your 50s find you’re any more prone to injury With certain exercises in the high rep range (is sq, bench, DL)?
No. I find it’s easier on my joints, muscle will still grow, but my elbows and knees dont hurt. I had tennis elbow a few years ago. I had prp which helped immensely. Now i don’t want to do damage. But again, I’m almost 50 and want to be lean and fit, with some size, but dont want to be huge.

No. I find it’s easier on my joints, muscle will still grow, but my elbows and knees dont hurt. I had tennis elbow a few years ago. I had prp which helped immensely. Now i don’t want to do damage. But again, I’m almost 50 and want to be lean and fit, with some size, but dont want to be huge.

Thanks for sharing, sounds like advice to heed. I ask bc It’s counter intuitive to how I was taught for the major 3. That as you experience nervous system fatigue quality movement degrades Leading to higher likelihood of injury.

I like to think that with all the reps the muscles get hungrier for support through food so definitely possible...

Im thinking of trying a power lifting approach for 2-3 days heavy, then rest, then go 20 reps on isolation exercises and see what that does. From what Ive read Ive seen some people figure out thats what they were missing was a custom routine.

8-12 reps doesnt do it for me anymore.

It’s super interesting to read everyone’s different approach, different understanding.
The awesome thing is that we all find our own groove, one that fits our own specific requirements, be it high rep/low rep.
I think the key is training smart and being specific to goals.
The advantage of experience and knowing if you are doing enough, we know how to connect with the muscle, create tension and apply the intensity.
This can be done with an empty bar, bands, cables or 5 plates a side.
Same with diet, food and strategy.

I’m trying to go with my body now rather than push it to fit a particular box, in a particular style.

Hope that makes sense.

I put on the first 45 pounds of muscle with low reps in my younger days. Then when I got older and started TRT and using AS I went with higher reps and put on more muscle but not any way near as much.

Enough. Stop trying to get your post count up.
You should be contributing to the convos on here, not just putting 4 words replies and moving onto the next thread.

For me a high rep set is 5 reps.

I believe D
I also believe on DC training for older lifters is to get to a higher total amount of reps to, not just 20. I just started doing rest-pause, not necessarily DC, this week shooting for 35-40 total reps. 12-10-8-6 and sometimes another 5 or 6 reps.
DC is about high intensity using lower volume and it works tremendously however it gets to a point that it’s dangerous so you cycle exercises.
This in conjunction with high rep isolation work for example balances or spreads out the work.
Scott’s Fortitude Training is the perfect progression from Dante’s original method.
Dense tissue is built on high intensity low volume but then it needs to be used at higher volume as well, building stamina and resistance.

This is me trying to explain my understanding but is not gospel and as we know there are many ways to skin a cat.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member