over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Here Grow From Higher Reps?

Slyder190

Registered
My whole life I've primarily trained in the 6-12 rep range excluding legs. Recently I have switched to 15-25 reps, slightly less rest between sets and slightly higher volume and am toying with the idea of hitting each muscle group 2x a week, while also tweaking volume again to less per workout. Needed a change. Anyone have good results doing anything similar?

Max effort! The weight matters less.

I used to think 8 was high reps, now I think 10 is low reps. I try to hit at least 10-12 reps per set for everything but legs, those are 15-30.

Diff body parts respond to different rep ranges....highly individual for just about everyone.
But if you're making these changes, its because you've noticed something about your own physique...so that's great.

I don't go below 10 reps now under legs. They respond better to 10-25 reps and anything under 10 is an injury for me.
Biceps and side delts also respond better to high reps for me.

As your training age goes up, you start finding out what works for YOU. There is no cookie cutter OPTIMAL range for everyone.
But there is one for YOU.

I train like a pussy now and fortunately thats good enough to maintain.
Back competing, high reps were a mainstay for legs. For some odd reason I never followed with attempting that range on upper body. Probably should have, at least for long enough to rule it out. My lower body was far ahead of my upper. Long time passed.

I train like a pussy now and fortunately thats good enough to maintain.
Back competing, high reps were a mainstay for legs. For some odd reason I never followed with attempting that range on upper body. Probably should have, at least for long enough to rule it out. My lower body was far ahead of my upper. Long time passed.

I have to laugh sometimes at the weight I use on things like single legged leg curls.

I mean... I'd probably laugh if I was walking by...

You try doing 405 x 25 on squats or 315 x 25 bench or 315 x 25 rows.. You'll be a big old freak if you can do...

. . . it in the same work out.

I’m a big proponent of lighter weights. I’m almost 50 and my joints cant take the heavy strain. Lighter weights and more reps works for me. I’m kind of past growing and just want to maintain muscle though.

Yes for me I have had better growth when reps are generally in the low-mid teens. Some things like quads, rear delts, side delts, calves respond better to 20+. But, only if I take them until I can't do another complete rep...then I throw in some partials to fully cook them.

When i was mil, 17-27 i mostly did high reps. 25 plus but my body had to preform certain tasks that required that. After, did 8-10, got bigger, less athletic lol. even with BJJ Now, early 50s, since gyms closed forced park / bar workouts. Super high reps, no rest, etc. I went back to my origins. So i can understand. Much happier, better growth, that ripped, dry look. Feel better carry less mass. but im early 50s I guess its your personal perspective. My son is 20, plays D1 hockey. all this fkn kid talks about is getting bigger.. lol Its where you are at currently. Higher reps. clean diet, lean cat is the mean cat works for me.

When I was younger I almost always training in a 6-12 rep pyramid.
Now that I am 50 I am trying to do no less than 10, often 15 on all exercises.

I am of the opinion that a mix and match works best for me overall.
Heavy training = dry mass; higher reps equal fullness. One style and its results compliment the other.

Do you gentleman in your 50s find you’re any more prone to injury With certain exercises in the high rep range (is sq, bench, DL)?

Do you gentleman in your 50s find you’re any more prone to injury With certain exercises in the high rep range (is sq, bench, DL)?

Higher reps definitely have a place but not in all exercises especially squats, calf raises,
wrist curls, dips, push-ups, pull-ups come to mind.

I think that many of the horrible injuries that I am reading about occur in lower rep
ranges. Correct? Which in my opinion have no place in bodybuilding. Higher reps,
especially squats for example, seem to elicit the nausea but not the injuries.

It is my opinion, that most injuries are likely occur during first few repetitions simply
because you are strongest at that point but . . . as long good form is maintained, you
become less likely to hurt yourself as you continue with the set, the second rep is less
dangerous than the first rep, the third rep is less dangerous than the second rep, and
so on. You become weaker, and as you near failure or at complete failure, you are not
able to produce the force necessary for injury to occur with good form. Of course it
is possible to hurt yourself in any rep; but in practice, most injuries occur during first
reps , and these injuries that occur during later reps, again, usually caused by using
poor form.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420