advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone here have tried to create ur own supplement line?

I wonder if a large contribution to the Clinton Foundation would significantly cut down on the FDA scrutiny? :D

McCain is one of the few who wanted to make it even harder on supp brands not Clinton. I hate when when Mcain, etc they keep bringing that shit up a dry other year

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk 2

Chances are it has to do with protecting big profits of the drug companies. DC and others have already shared many natural supps that when taken along with a decent diet and bodyweight, keep us from needing to buy prescription drugs.

I think it's awesome trying it out even if things don't work out. Nothing like working hard for something you believe in rather just punching a clock and someone else gets richer:(

Chances are it has to do with protecting big profits of the drug companies. DC and others have already shared many natural supps that when taken along with a decent diet and bodyweight, keep us from needing to buy prescription drugs.

I was just watching an episode of Underworld Inc. Fake Pharma. I found it amusing when the Chief Global Security Officer of Pfizer said that Pfizer's main concern was the safety of the public! Lol, Lol, Lol!!!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkOWlso8S8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkOWlso8S8[/ame]

Last edited:

doug1 we need to submit your avatar to the NRA, it would scare the bejesus out of the libtards.....:) guns and manly muscle would have them girly men peeing their pants. :)

I was just watching an episode of Underworld Inc. Fake Pharma. I found it amusing when the Chief Global Security Officer of Pfizer said that Pfizer's main concern was the safety of the public! Lol, Lol, Lol!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkOWlso8S8

What's most saddest of all is the FDA doesn't get involved with medical marijuana, I think it should be decriminalized but shit they got cookies and muffins and shit with lord knows what the cooker estimated the THC levels at, no quality control anywhere near what is required for phamr and supps.

The pharm companies and gov't would lose trillions if they allowed MJ to be "legal" they couldn't keep their prisons full or the gov't fat and ripe with agents.
I say there is enough work to go around get down there to mexico and choke of the heroin fentanyl supply....killing hundreds of people a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkOWlso8S8

BTW. About halfway through, there's a guy cooking up some Tren. I like Underground Inc. Very Interesting! I'm done...I've hijacked this thread enough! Sorry Dude!:eek:

We better watch it, this thread is gonna get locked from too political. :D

It's fun, I think as long as we don't call each other names for a certain view, let it roll.

We better watch it, this thread is gonna get locked from too political. :D

It's fun, I think as long as we don't call each other names for a certain view, let it roll.

Well, back when Ron Paul was running Big A allowed that because he agreed with his policies, and I was a big supporter of Ron. I supported Rand too but he just couldn't get up the steam to overtake Trump. All of the hopes of conservatives like me now rest on the shoulders of Trump. I wish Rand could have gained more traction.

Rand would have been very kind to the supplement industry and medical marijuana.

Well, back when Ron Paul was running Big A allowed that because he agreed with his policies, and I was a big supporter of Ron. I supported Rand too but he just couldn't get up the steam to overtake Trump. All of the hopes of conservatives like me now rest on the shoulders of Trump. I wish Rand could have gained more traction.

Rand would have been very kind to the supplement industry and medical marijuana.

I agree, I think the problem I have with Rand is he seems like an isolationist, doesn't want to get involved in anything outside our borders. That can, and has bit us in the ass. JMHO

This threshold of sales you mention. Are you saying that the manufacturing facility will be visited more often, your products will be under greater scrutiny or both?

Because we all know that most supplement companies don't manufacture there own supplements and the facilities they do manufacture at more then likely are already beyond that threshold of sales if that manufacturer is also making other large supplement brands, along with other types of food products that they manufacture other then supplements.....and if you're manufacturing at a larger facility then more often then not this manufacturer is already under the eye of the FDA and has to make sure clean rooms are clean, compounds are correct etc etc...........What would be riskier is getting ones supplement manufactured at a smaller facility.

Just curious...wasn't sure what you meant exactly.

The manufacturers all get audited. If a company that contracts to contract manufacturers to make their products (like alot of the biggest of the big do) gets to a certain threshhold in sales.....they will come under scrutiny of the FDA (their products will)....and the FDA will follow the chain of manufacturing. 72% of custom manufacturers get 483 letters....Ive seen quite a few get shut down. Lets say "ABC supplements" hits the scene in this genre (bodybuilding) and they are killing it...selling millions and millions of dollars worth of supplements......they contract from "123 manufacturing" out of lets say culver city california.....Somewhere down the line an FDA agent is going to walk into ABC supplements and ask to see their SOP's and testing procedures and batch manufacturing records......ABC supplements is going to most likely say "umm we dont do that here, 123 manufacturing makes our products".....in which the FDA if they are nice that day will visit 123 manufacturing and scrutinize them like no tommorow.....if the FDA isnt nice that day they might demand that ABC supplements shows them their paperwork proving that all the supplements manufactured by 123 manufacturing are following GMP guidelines, and their own testing showing purity potency and identity.......more likely they are going to go into 123 manufacturing with a fine tooth comb.....and it can be 2 days, 5 days or 2 weeks of 8am to 4pm scrutiny of batch records/testing procedures/SOP's.......if that manufacturing facility gets shut down or doesnt appease the 483 process....that retail company is now in dire straits...with no incoming product coming being shipped anywhere soon and they will have to start from scratch again.

I dont want anyone to think im being Debbie Downer here and trying to get you to do something else....its just Ive seen so many people with huge dreams fall by the wayside.

I cannot even tell you how many people have come to me over the last 14 years with huge dreams of "IM GOING TO MAKE MY OWN SUPPLEMENT LINE" and we would say "ok what do you want to make?"

And they want to make protein powder, creatine, and amino acids.......and i just shake my head.

As Pittbull said, how are you going to compete with Optimum Nutrition who sets the market price and is owned by Glanbia (one of the larger milk producers in the world) with your little rinky dink protein line? If you dont have a massive following personally you are going to fail miserably. And i have seen so many startup entrepeneurs fail because they thought "oh man once i have my own products sales are going to be booming!!!"

Really? How?

IN the old days...all of you guys...I could make you your supplement line and if you said "dante i want 6 bottles"...I could do it no problem---Id have my clean room crews make you up 6 bottles of your product, apply your labels, shrink wrap that top, put it thru the heat tunnel, and ship it to wherever you guys want me to ship it.

Nowadays? Forget it! There is so much paperwork and testing costs built into the products....it borders on ridiculous. Most manufacturers their minimum for any kind of proteins are 5000 jugs. I try to help the small time guy by making my minimums 500 jugs.....that honestly sucks for me to turn my mixers on for a 500 jug order but i do it because i try to help out the small time entrepeneur. So if you wanted 2 and 5 lb jugs of choc van and strawberry you are looking at 3000 jugs being made. That would be the minimum. Lets use the arbitrary number of 10 bucks a pound....so you have 1500 two pounders and 1500 five pounders to start your supplement company right?
1500 x 2 x 10 = 30 thousand
1500 x 5 x 10 = 75 thousand
Do you have 105 thousand dollars to start your supplement company with choc straw and van protein.....and how the hell are you going to get people to buy your protein when Optimum is out there destroying everyone?

See the dilemna? And im the good guy who bends down to make someone 500 jug minimums....everyone else is 5000 jug minimums of one flavor and one size!

Whether you make 6 jugs of amino acids or 5000 jugs the price on the paperwork all the testing you need to do and the employees to do all that paperwork and testing for identity purity and potency is the same....so obviously if your testing costs are 1200 dollars......you obviously cannot lose the cost of that 1200 dollars in the manufacture of 6 jugs of amino acids. Could you imagine me telling you that your 6 jugs of aminos are done and the cost is 1200 for the testing and 96 dollars for the total manufacturing of those 6 bottles.......you would be like "What?!"

So its just a sucky situation for the start up entrepeneur....but ill tell you what i would do if i was starting a supplement company nowadays....continued

Last edited:
I see 3 ways companies are successful

1) Make borderline illegal products....sorry to say it but it freaking works. Look at all the people who have made grey market or even illegal supplements by skating around the legalities....and the millions they made. How was Gaspari the 70-90 million in sales company they once were? It sure wasnt from the regular stuff...it was the halodrol's and Novedex.....USP labs? Jack3d.....IForce.....these other pro hormone companies? Craze? It was all from doing their best to create massive sales before Uncle Sam caught up to them...and Uncle Sam did catch up to some of them and destroyed them...and others got out or transformed before or during the government catching up to them. Im not saying its right and you could very much wind up in the slammer FDA warns maker of controversial sports supplement Craze .....but there is no doubt it works and puts you on the map. I would never have the balls to do it...because it seems like a 50 50 chance of getting your life ruined to me by the US government but like I said the proof is in the pudding with some of these other companies who did have the balls to do it.

2) Have a massive following online....if you have a massive following online as a trainer or a celebrity or someone who is a social media star....or are a company with a massive advertising budget/campaign you can make a successful supplement business....sometimes with the egos this sport has people think 17 likes on a post they left on facebook means they are a social media star....LOL.....the problem with this area of supplement sales is your customers are not knowledgeable are are more followers..... and people who want to be told what to do......Jim Stoppani comes to mind, companies like Shakeology come to mind, although Rich Piana doesnt own the majority of that supplement company (i believe his ex-wife and her new husband does and he owns a small portion)...he comes to mind as a social media celebrity....and again...does anyone in here think that his customers are as knowledgeable as the readership of professionalmuscle? NOT a chance.....they are just guys/girls that want to be part of a gang mentality and want to be part of something...and kind of again "told what to do"

3) this one i respect the most.....study your ass off and come out with some far out there legitimate products that WORK and are new and innovative....you wont come out of the starting blocks like #2 with sales, and you wont come out with the sales of #1 (but man will you have so much less stress than #1 than worrying about when your going to jail)....I have respect for the entrepeneurs who came out with carditone, creatine monohydrate, citrulline, various herbal products.....that legitimately work....its a harder road but the legitimacy you will create in the industry....will be worth it.

Couple do's and donts: Capsules = dirt cheap to make, light to ship = huge huge profits.
Powders = heavy, not much margin, heavy to ship. You sure as hell dont hear about a new heavy powder company becoming millionaires much do you? Its always grey market capsule companies....or small psychedelic powder tubs.

Do not put a bad product out there!!! My absolutely 100% dont. Your reputation is made by the product you make and the day you make a shoddy product or skirt on the ingredients or dont have what you claim is in the product actually in there.....your name is mud. Unfortunately with all the amino spiking and shysters in the industry that never gets applied much does it? Put out a good product that is what is exactly advertised and on the label.

The supplement industry isnt like it was 12 years ago...its oversaturated....everyone tries to make their own supplement line and own supplement company now and hardly anyone makes it. You saw Phil Heath's line go belly up, youve seen huge companies like Gaspari, Ultimate Nutrition, Musclepharm and GNC etc etc hit either bankruptcy or hard hard times financially and on the brink of defunct....more power to you if you can hit the ground running.....its a tough road

Bodybuilder?s Supplement Company Sold Out of Bankruptcy - Bankruptcy Beat - WSJ

**broken link removed**

Nutrition 21 Files Bankruptcy With $122.8 Million in Debt - Bloomberg

**broken link removed**

GNC ousts chief executive as sales continue to fall | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome post. I don't know anywhere near as much as you do about this industry, but I know enough to know that you are dead-on with this one.

More great info from the man who seen this shit from all angles, thanks Dante. I may reach out to you with some questions/quotes/recommendations.

I know they are probably a couple of guys on here that have, how was your experience?
Was it a long process?
Was it too easy or difficult to legally open up the business?
Was finding and trustworthy suppliers to deal with hard?
What was the most difficult part for you?

So any update? Moving forward with it? I've learned so much this past month it's wild but my line is almost ready to go live. I feel bad for those that don't really have a serious line of steady income coming in and will depend on the new brand they develop to pay the bills.

Best way and what 90% of popular brands we all know are nothing more than private labeling but you are limited to the stock products the mnfctr has. But it's the best option.

I want to do a few custom items and we are talking $10,000-$20,000 for a SIMPLE ingredient 60 cap product.

The barriers to entry in this biz is very high. But if you have time... Money ...and a niche and/or following,you can do okay with private labeling.

Then when funds add up throw some custom products in the mix that only you have and your creation.

But it is fun paying only $4 for something that retails for $19.99..... :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity