over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Here OWN A GYM? I do- couple questions

strongrhino

Banned
Well I do and was wondering how your revenues have been over the last year or so compared to pre recession times? Most of my $ comes from personal training and while my personal income has not changed from training clients (being the owner) my other trainers are way down. Basically I count on them to pay my overhead (rent utilities etc) and my training money is mine. I train about 20 clients 6 days a week and that has not changed a bit but for some reason my other trainers are roughly 50% down or so revenue wise. How are you all doing?

it might be cuz some people prefer more chain type gyms, more reliable and bigger

it might be cuz some people prefer more chain type gyms, more reliable and bigger

how do you know the size of my gym and how is that response relevant regarding year over year income compaisons during current economic climate and being more reliable? What are you in 8th grade economics?

Last edited:
yep

Down here as well. The past 18 months has been rediculous. Every business in my area is getting hit hard and I don't see anything changing anytime soon. The tanning business helps carry us for the most part but, this past month in the worst we have ever had in that as well. Do you have enough room for aerobics classes ? We don't but, wish we did.

bloons

how do you know the size of my gym and how is that response relevant regarding year over year income compaisons during current economic climate and being more reliable? What are you in 8th grade economics?

man your all cocky for no reason bro, it was just a opionion, i dont know anything bout your gym, why dont you tell us all about it and post pics, it i believe it is a relavent statement, i use to go to a personal owned gym, they shut down due to money filled bankruptcy and i could not get my newly paided year membership money back, thats why i stick with larger branches now

My gym is down to 3 trainers including myself. The gym is currently booking about 25% of the training appointments it booked in the first half of 2008. It's been declining steadily since mid 2008.

I guess I am lucky in that we are doing as much business(predominately personal training) as ever. That said, the economy here in Australia hasn't suffered like the US.

Also I always follow the following rules

1. Always make key alliances - Dr.s, physio, etc

2. Take the time to have a solid email data base that allows you to keep in touch and have the occasional special offers for nothing.

3. Ask for referrals. If you get a good result for someone then why not ask that they tell people who trained them.

Hope these ideas help.

Apreciate the responses. Been training 25 years in same area and had my current location for little over 10 years. Down to 5 trainers other then self and usually keep about 8-10. I am taking all the new walk in clients- gotta pay them bills. I rely on those other trainers but we are slow. Gettin a little worried but maybe this economy is near or at bottom. Got kids to feed.

Sorry to hear that brother. This economy sucks. I am out of work due to an accident on the job, and the money i recieve from workers comp sucks. I hope my back gets better, because i am suffering. I want to get back to work, but unless i am 100% i cannot. What I have seen is that gyms are offering incentives to train at their facilities. My friend owns a world gym and he has had to cut membership fees to keep clients. Even doing that; he is still down members. These fucking planet shitness gyms etc are hurting others. Its just immpossible for a private owner to offer these ridiculous prices. He now also offers training sessions, for free, if they join for the year, and pay up front. Maybe incentives will bring some more people in. God bless you.

Interestingly enough, training has stayed the same but overall memberships are down.

thank God i got a new membership at a chain gym...

I pay like 19.99 a month plus 4.99 a month for tanning ...

My old gym closed down and screwed a bunch of people...
The owner at my old gym kept trying to get me to sign up for a two year deal...
Thank God i didn't cause a month later they closed...with NO refunds...

strongrhino its not just gyms that are affected I own a tattoo studio and I have watched over the last 3 years as things have slowly declined business wise. We have started to lower our prices (not much though). We get a lot of "tire kickers" that come in and waste our time because they are unaware that good tattoos arent cheap.:banghead:

When my training revs starting going down a little I started bootcamps, and that took off to the point where I purposely stopped training personal sessions. Now, I train about half the people I used to, my trainers run the boot camps, and I make about 40% more than I did.
Evolve and conquer.

thank God i got a new membership at a chain gym...

I pay like 19.99 a month plus 4.99 a month for tanning ...

My old gym closed down and screwed a bunch of people...
The owner at my old gym kept trying to get me to sign up for a two year deal...
Thank God i didn't cause a month later they closed...with NO refunds...

Haha!! I don't mean to sound like losing out on a membership that you've paid for with hard earned money isn't a screwed up situation. But as a gym owner I know a half a dozen gym owners who have had to close their doors. It's a sad lose-lose situation. The one the gets fucked the worst is the gym owner. After having invested $100,000.00 to a $150,000.00 you end up with nothing but a bunch of creditors wanting money that doesn't exist. And your life savings? Gone!!! And on top of that a few hundred members saying you ripped them off. It gets ugly.

Where would the money come from to refund anyone? You close because you can't even come up with the money to make payroll and the lease on the facilities. So for a few months prior you've already borrowed money from anyone that would loan it to you just to try and make the gym expenses while you do everything you can to revive the business. Sometimes it just doesn't work. And you're forced to close.

I can tell you that when this happens it's bankruptcy time. And they're sweating bullets just to pay their own personal car insurance and home expenses. Two previous local gym owners I know even lost their homes. How fucked up is that?

Last edited:
ojs- thats what I am scared of. I see same thing happening in my area. I have bought some equipment and plates very cheap but I feel badly for the owners who were prospering just a year or 2 ago,

Added Value selling....

Started noticing a dip in new members about 18 mo. ago...ppl were just holding the purse strings a lil tighter.
What I did to off set this was start a CrossFit bootcamp we have a 0530 class and a 0630 class. both classes have 18 - 24 ppl. its a 10 wk bootcamp cost 325. ever 10 wks I bring in a extra 12k-13.5k in rev. 2009 total sells in the program was just over 50k. saved my ass.
Also I have evryone really focused on getting Referrals....have a insentive for members to give there friends a free pass.....our closing % on referrals is 56% right now. hope this helps. best of luck bro.

great idea man- thanks may utilize some of these methods asap cause im starting to tread water here and this is my life- i have owned gyms and studios for 20 years and i got nothing else. Prayin economy takes a turn soon.

man this kills me to see this. my life dream is to own a hardcore warehouse type gym and it looks like its just not gonna be feasibe in this economy. this sucks... my heart goes out to all the struggling gym owners

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131