advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

anyone here use non-dairy protein powders like PEA or Rice?

superbigd

Registered
Hey guys curious if anyone here uses a non-diary protein powder source like pea or rice protein. which do you prefer? and what flavors are best? and are the results going to be different than if you/we were to use whey protein.

thanks boys

Are you vegan or just have issues with digesting dairy based proteins?

Have you tried humapro or true nutrition version?

Pea protein tastes pretty bad. I was using a blend for awhile using whey and rice protein. the rice is slightly chalky and a little bitter

I refuse to believe that inferior veggie protein is as good as whey. Whey makes my muscles pop! Just a way for companies to make a much larger profit. Ever see a big guy in cultures that primarily survive on rice?

Last edited:
These proteins are pretty crap. I have tried quite a few and most taste like crap too. I would recommend a good beef isolate if you want to stay away from dairy powders.

I've read that pea and rice protein have like 98% bio availability and high digestion rate same as whey iso and that it has an amino acid profile that rivals whey. So if this is true I don't see why either wouldn't be an acceptable replacement. So the main difference comes down to taste vs cost.
Sure whey tastes twice as good but pea/rice cost half as much.
I read that info in Musclemag,and online. Plus it practically says the same thing on True nutrition.

Right now I'm using a 50/50 blend of whey and pea protein. I have not been able to tell a difference. Next time I'm ordering 100% pea,cost is the determining factor for me. For me the taste isn't that bad,the first one was like wtf but now it's kinda grown on me.

I've read that pea and rice protein have like 98% bio availability and high digestion rate same as whey iso and that it has an amino acid profile that rivals whey. So if this is true I don't see why either wouldn't be an acceptable replacement. So the main difference comes down to taste vs cost.
Sure whey tastes twice as good but pea/rice cost half as much.
I read that info in Musclemag,and online. Plus it practically says the same thing on True nutrition.

Right now I'm using a 50/50 blend of whey and pea protein. I have not been able to tell a difference. Next time I'm ordering 100% pea,cost is the determining factor for me. For me the taste isn't that bad,the first one was like wtf but now it's kinda grown on me.

Spike it with some bcaa and it'll be almost as good as whey except for taste.

These proteins are pretty crap. I have tried quite a few and most taste like crap too. I would recommend a good beef isolate if you want to stay away from dairy powders.

Above in bold. I can't take anything away from the other kinds though, as I haven't used them enough to make a fair judgement.

Been using carnivore though intra workout for the past month and I love it. It's hydrolized beef iso

Pea Protein is great but the taste isn't for me. I will have anything but I consume quite a lot of powder so I simply couldn't take it. If it was 1 serving a day then maybe but even then I would rather pick something else. But sure pea isolate is a great replacement but just order a small tub/bag first time round incase it's not for you. I love carnivore too but I have to get chocolate cos the blue raspberry one was again a struggle to drink on a consistent basis. I am gonna get the carnivore mass soon and will rotate that with whey.

I refuse to believe that inferior veggie protein is as good as whey. Whey makes my muscles pop! Just a way for companies to make a much larger profit. Ever see a big guy in cultures that primarily survive on rice?

:eek::eek::eek::eek: please tell me you have a handler that takes you around and cleans up after you cause you sir are a fcking retard.....:welcome: and until you can go a round with Tyson your stupid "me eat meat, meat good" crap is 2000 and fcking late! haha

true nutritions Vegan Protein Optimizer or whatever is really good. Has some hemp in it too which is awesome. Easy on the stomach too....

Attachments

• Mike-Tyson-Vegan-Billboard.jpg
    Mike-Tyson-Vegan-Billboard.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
There's only one thing I hate more than lying ... veggie protein powders ... which are powdered meals that are lying about having protein.

I tried a Pea/Rice mix from TrueProtein.com when I was having issues with dairy a few years back.

Tasted all right, nothing too spectacular. As long as you pick a strong very artificial flavour (i.e. Fruit Punch, Lemon Lime, Blue Raspberry) then it covers the "unique" taste.

One thing I noticed was that it actually made my mouth feel very dry after I drank it.

Based on the Leucine/100g content, Gemma Pea and Rice Concentrate are actually much superior to beef isolates.

I liked it, but I'm back on the whey isolate now. This is out of convenience (I work for a manufacturer and they make whey, so I get a great deal)

Last edited:
The issue with vegan proteins are you can build an intolerance quickly. Ill stick to eating real meat and taking EAAs.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: please tell me you have a handler that takes you around and cleans up after you cause you sir are a fcking retard.....:welcome: and until you can go a round with Tyson your stupid "me eat meat, meat good" crap is 2000 and fcking late! haha

true nutritions Vegan Protein Optimizer or whatever is really good. Has some hemp in it too which is awesome. Easy on the stomach too....

I'm glade you have found a lifestyle that makes you feel good and have meaning.... There is no need to be disrespectful and name calling.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying ... veggie protein powders ... which are powdered meals that are lying about having protein.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Try checking the BCAA ratio and other EAA's from Pea Protein Isolate.

To the OP...

I have used Pea Protein Isolate for a little while now, fairly hard to flavour but doesn't upset my stomach like whey does.

I have been using them in blends with the grass fed whey. They keep the cost down and I like them they digest well for me. I use the rice and pea the most. Texture is not as good as whey but it is what it is. You get used to it and I personally like them. To each their own.

I'm glade you have found a lifestyle that makes you feel good and have meaning.... There is no need to be disrespectful and name calling.

Ive only done full vegan diets for a couple weeks at a time. Hell ill eat little human babies if they are on the menu. Just hate when idiots start spouting off about everything they "know" about this topic. :rolleyes:

Ive only done full vegan diets for a couple weeks at a time. Hell ill eat little human babies if they are on the menu. Just hate when idiots start spouting off about everything they "know" about this topic. :rolleyes:

JJB1 is the polar opposite of an idiot.

You can be a real :eek: at times. JJ has forgotten more things than you know when it comes to BB. You would eat human babies... some of the things you write or just plain offensive and/or silly.

As I mentioned earlier Pea Isolate is fantastic if you can handle the taste (plus it is super cheap too) but most others (brown rice etc) are inferior to whey (imo). If your gonna try out pea or beef get a small amount to begin with just incase. I think rotation of protein sources is key (food and powders) so these alternative protein powders are only a good thing.

When is the last time a vegan ever looked decent in bodybuilding? Plants are alive too. Post up a pic so we can see your incredible muscle mass, Vegan-boy.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner