advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone stop doing leg presses because of how annoying it is to load so many plates?

Literally why back in the day I started one leg leg press.

I do all pressing one leg at a time. I can't lift heavy due to bad knees so one leg at a time allows me to focus better on the movement and allows me to be safe using less weight.

Funny you started a thread on this I was thinking the same thing last night! Its such a hassle sometimes more often that not I just do the machine press and do more volume and if I want to go heavy I just squat instead.

Funny you started a thread on this I was thinking the same thing last night! Its such a hassle sometimes more often that not I just do the machine press and do more volume and if I want to go heavy I just squat instead.

Yep the machine press feels just as effective to me, it's just the max weight on the one at my gym isn't very heavy so I have to go super high reps

If your leg pressing with the entire sled filled with plates YOUR NOT LEG PRESSING CORRECTLY!!

I guarantee I could show anyone how to destroy the fuck out of your legs on a leg press with no more than 6plates on each side!

Leave your ego in the locker room and learn how to train correctly!

Funny if I saw any of YALL in my gym stacking the sled like that Id make fun of you an tell you you must be hitting arms today curlin them 45s onto that sled.

Im surprised to see so many guys in here who are those exact guys loading the sled SMH.

Good luck growing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your leg pressing with the entire sled filled with plates YOUR NOT LEG PRESSING CORRECTLY!!

I guarantee I could show anyone how to destroy the fuck out of your legs on a leg press with no more than 6plates on each side!

Funny if I saw any of YALL in my gym stacking the sled like that Id make fun of you an tell you you must be hitting arms today curlin them 45s onto that sled.

Im surprised to see so many guys in here who are those exact guys loading the sled SMH.

Good luck growing

Make a video and show us.....not being sarcastic, but teach how to do it right, not just critique how they're doing it wrong.

Make a video and show us.....not being sarcastic, but teach how to do it right, not just critique how they're doing it wrong.

Figure it out, im assuming yall are grown men. Figure it out, use the brain. Im not making a video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDZ6LbgyXg"]Doug Brignole VARIATIONS OF SQUATS - YouTube[/ame]

skip to 9:55. good exercise, i felt it in back a lot due to start from a row motion. wear straps if joints bother you, esp when going up in weight

Last edited:
Figure it out, im assuming yall are grown men. Figure it out, use the brain. Im not making a video

Haha, good response. So slow reps, continuous tension, high reps, stutter reps, 1 1/2 reps, Weider Mind/Muscle Connection Priciple, combination of all the above.

Lucky I'm a grown man.......with a brain.:rolleyes:

Just need a gym that has 100 lb plates. The 100 lb plates aren't too bad to load since it cuts down on the # of plates by 1/2.

One gym I lifted at, with one of John Parillo's guys, we used 200 lb plates. The guy had his father make them at work, guess he had access to that kind of thing. We needed the 200 lb plates so we could fit more weight on the belt squat harness. Impossible to fit enough weight on there using the 100s.

I do 30-35rep sets for this reason

I've tried similar in the past.
Numerous times I've come up with the plan where I'm using a weight that I hit failure with at around 15 reps or so and tell myself I'm sticking with that weight until I can get 50 reps with it. Without fail whenever I get to where I'm hitting failure around 30 reps I say to myself, "Fuck this!" :p

Must be the old powerlifter in me where anything over 3 reps used to be a marathon set....

Just need a gym that has 100 lb plates. The 100 lb plates aren't too bad to load since it cuts down on the # of plates by 1/2.

One gym I lifted at, with one of John Parillo's guys, we used 200 lb plates. The guy had his father make them at work, guess he had access to that kind of thing. We needed the 200 lb plates so we could fit more weight on the belt squat harness. Impossible to fit enough weight on there using the 100s.

Did you ever train at Todd Sweeneys' Parillo Gym in Glen Burnie?
We used to drive up to Glen Burnie on the weekends to train and eat, back when Levrone was at his peak 1992 and on and trained at the old Powerhouse and Todd's gym which was equipped with all the parillo equipment, some unique stuff especially the belt squat machine.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVpLjjokyLs"]Extreme Training Camp Belt Squat - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNMO_LBDa4M"]How to use the belt squat as a diagnostic tool. - YouTube[/ame]

Nope.

Only need 5-7 to have a killer workout if you take between 5-7 seconds to go from the bottom part of the rep to the top.

Granted my legs aren't huge, but squatting gives me hip issues.

So you're taking 5-7 seconds to go from knees at chest to lockout? Normally people do a faster ascent to lockout and then slowly do the negative or lower their knees back to their chest.

I don't see 1) how you can smoothly control the pace of the push, and 2) that seems riskier from an injury standpoint. The nice part of the slow negative is the weight is already being loaded directly on the muscles under load, moving to lockout your knees have to stay in proper line of motion. Maybe it's something new or advanced.

Good luck growing

Agree on this, when i load up the thing Im just moving the weight instead of stimulation the muscle.. I rather take half the weight maybe do 14-12-10-8 etc or 6 normal "speed" then 6 really slow, 6 normal etc that really kills me

Mind muscle connection / form > desired rep range whatever > amount of wt. I don't even count what wt. Just feeling the muscle and hitting it hard and knowing if I want to stop before failure or go beyond (always one or the two options) in all exercises . People get too much caught in leg press wt. Feet higher and wider u r using the whole glut ham quads pelvic girdle the whole lot. Huge huge wt disturba the neuro muscular coordination and the goal then become move it up and down somehow , point a to point b business. The feet lower at the platform quads and much closer is quads. Explosive concentric not locking the knee , hold peak contraction and slow eccentric ( think compression a coil/ piston pump). Amount of wt will drop significantly if this is followed and quad stimulation will occur to a greater extent.

Leg press is like shrugs for many many people lol just load up crazy wt and go up and down somehow not a wise idea. It's like u r standing against a brick wall and a car is pushing u to crush u against the wall and u r thinking and fighting with all your power and strength to push it back. Similar sort of thing in the mind on leg press if crazy heavy wt is used beyond what one can handle legitimately with good form and targeting the desired muscle.

Last edited:
Mind muscle connection / form > desired rep range whatever > amount of wt. I don't even count what wt. Just feeling the muscle and hitting it hard and knowing if I want to stop before failure or go beyond (always one or the two options) in all exercises . People get too much caught in leg press wt. Feet higher and wider u r using the whole glut ham quads pelvic girdle the whole lot. Huge huge wt disturba the neuro muscular coordination and the goal then become move it up and down somehow , point a to point b business. The feet lower at the platform quads and much closer is quads. Explosive concentric not locking the knee , hold peak contraction and slow eccentric ( think compression a coil/ piston pump). Amount of wt will drop significantly if this is followed and quad stimulation will occur to a greater extent.

Leg press is like shrugs for many many people lol just load up crazy wt and go up and down somehow not a wise idea. It's like u r standing against a brick wall and a car is pushing u to crush u against the wall and u r thinking and fighting with all your power and strength to push it back. Similar sort of thing in the mind on leg press if crazy heavy wt is used beyond what one can handle legitimately with good form and targeting the desired muscle.

I don't do shrugs either for pretty much the same reason actually. Luckily my traps got pretty good without them.

Do one leg at a time

I just watch how I load/unload all the plates and turn it into a little shoulder pumping routine

At the gym where I train, most of the time there is already 3 or 4 plates on each side. I usually only go to 7 plates anyway.
It only takes like 3 seconds to grab a plate and put it on machine anyway, so It doesn't matter to me if I have to load the press up. More calorie burn:D

i myself wouldn't go anywhere hitting 6 plates a side... that is my normal warmup and I'm not big or that strong... i did 7 a side last night for my final working set and those were 10 sec positives with 3-5 sec negs... that was after already hitting the hack and Vsquat and had already hit calves and hams too...

sucks loading and unloading but is what it is...

Most people get back problems on the press bc they go to far down and their spine/tailbone curls up off the pad instead... not only does it put your back in bad position w loaded weight, but also shifts much of the weight to the glutes hips and hams taking tension off quads

Is this a serious question?:D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner