YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone try the one set per bodypart per day workout?

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Wondering if anyone gave this workout a shot. Do one set all out to failure for each bodypart, so each day is whole body. Workout each day until you feel like you need a break. Phil Hernon put this idea out there years ago and said it works great for him. I am going to try this soon and want some feedback.

Wondering if anyone gave this workout a shot. Do one set all out to failure for each bodypart, so each day is whole body. Workout each day until you feel like you need a break. Phil Hernon put this idea out there years ago and said it works great for him. I am going to try this soon and want some feedback.

So 3 days a week or would it be more because it’s not a traditional full body workout? Also would you just do main exercises each time as in squats, dead’s, bench and press?

The question dilemma would be freakin strong you are.

The bigger and strong you are, the more likely you are to need a good amount of warmups. I can't hop into a 6-7plate Hack squat for a single failure set without slowly progressing with reps...adding a plate...more reps....and so one. Basically needing feeder sets to get warmed up enough. In the end, it would just depend on how I'm classifying my working sets.

Right now now my PPL routine I'm doing 2 big compound leg movements for 2 sets each. That's only 4 sets total. Plus one would probably need multiple exercises to fully develop their physique. Like legs (during the 1 set per bp workout) might be 1 leg ext, 1 leg curl, 1 hack squat, 1 adductor, 1 abductor? Maybe. Just stuff to think about.

When you think about it as one 1 failure set each day per bp, it sounds simple. But it also sounds like many only a novice or intermediate lifter could progress through this. An advanced lifter would end up with a decent amount of volume just from warmups.

I hit the muscle with heavy weights and lots of sets once a week, but try to do some light pump/feel sets with good form for every muscle every day. Really helps with active recovery quite a bit.

The question dilemma would be freakin strong you are.

The bigger and strong you are, the more likely you are to need a good amount of warmups. I can't hop into a 6-7plate Hack squat for a single failure set without slowly progressing with reps...adding a plate...more reps....and so one. Basically needing feeder sets to get warmed up enough. In the end, it would just depend on how I'm classifying my working sets.

Right now now my PPL routine I'm doing 2 big compound leg movements for 2 sets each. That's only 4 sets total. Plus one would probably need multiple exercises to fully develop their physique. Like legs (during the 1 set per bp workout) might be 1 leg ext, 1 leg curl, 1 hack squat, 1 adductor, 1 abductor? Maybe. Just stuff to think about.

When you think about it as one 1 failure set each day per bp, it sounds simple. But it also sounds like many only a novice or intermediate lifter could progress through this. An advanced lifter would end up with a decent amount of volume just from warmups.

Yeah, the warmups had me concerned. For big comound lifts I would need to do at least 2 warmup sets but those wont tire me down any. The warmups though would make for a longer workout. Wouldn't need warmups for smaller bodyarts like shoulders and triceps because those exercises will follow doing bench press. Probably not any different than what I already do so the warmups shouldn't be an issue.

I have already been doing Phil's 3 day split workout where you just do 3 sets per bodypart, one exercise each. It works well for me. Before my heart attack I progressed to where I was squatting with 455x10 deep. That was my all time best. I was surprised how well I grew doing it. Prior to that I was doing endless exercises, 12 plus sets for chest etc. The low volume and high frequency works well for me. With the routine im doing I hit each bodypart 2x per week.

The once a day thing would have me hit each bodypart 7x per week, if I don't take a rest. I suspect that I will probably need at least one rest day per week, so id hit everything 6x a week. Ill give it a try for awhile and report back.

Im also trying to decide how much cardio to do and how to do it since it will be everyday. I am trying to get leaner so this will all help.

Phil here in a video showing showing his physique on 1 set per bodypart per day. Phil is a few years older than me too, so this hopefully works well for older guys like me. 50ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXl6mXsAqa4

Last edited:
Works GREAT, Maldorf.
Its one working set per body part. Warm up dynamically previous to that
by ALL means.
If you are training 3 days a week, train at 90% weight
If you are doing 6 workouts dont go past 75% of your weight...
If you do, you will not be recuperated before your next session.
The idea is to do as many EFFECTIVE workout is a period of time.

b-boy

Ask Brad Davis b-boy, he trained according to this plan.

https://musclementor.net/different-kind-workout/

Research support more frequency when training for performance. This is the split used during a study and the 5 x weekly group gained substantially more strength and weight. My joints are wrecked and I train 4-5 days weekly using one exercise per bodypart but vary the reps and weight depending on how I feel. I just like training.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_17f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_17f.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 521
I doubt it's going to do much. 1 set to failure. Maybe if you did 10 set then ya.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In reference to my post above, I train full body every time I lift. My joints hurt too bad for strength chasing but muscle is GTG.

Yes I have been doing this lately. I had the opportunity to train with Phil Hernon about a month ago. He promotes this type of training now. It was a great experience and has been a great change of pace for me.

I really don't think this method is optimal for size except maybe for a change of pace every once in a while

Research support more frequency when training for performance. This is the split used during a study and the 5 x weekly group gained substantially more strength and weight. My joints are wrecked and I train 4-5 days weekly using one exercise per bodypart but vary the reps and weight depending on how I feel. I just like training.

As the volume of training is still pretty much the same I can see where it could work well. As the muscles do not have to spend as much time recovering before they can start to grow past where they were.

I've sort of done it.... I say sort of because I split it into push/pull days, full-body, going all-out heavy, the warm-ups actually took longer than the actual workout.

So Pull Day would be something like Romanian Deads, Barbell Rows, Cable Pullovers, Rear Delt machine, Hammer Curls and I finish every day off with a bit of very high-rep neck and core training. Just basic stuff for the most part.

A huge proponent of this was the late Greg Plitt, he believed days off just happened on their own, at lease once a week or so something comes up.... a business meeting, a family gathering, car won't start etc., so his idea was workout daily and the days off naturally work themselves in due to life.

Works GREAT, Maldorf.
Its one working set per body part. Warm up dynamically previous to that
by ALL means.
If you are training 3 days a week, train at 90% weight
If you are doing 6 workouts dont go past 75% of your weight...
If you do, you will not be recuperated before your next session.
The idea is to do as many EFFECTIVE workout is a period of time.

I plan on doing maybe 6 days a week if I can handle it. What do you mean by 75% of your weight? Does that mean use 75% of your 1 RM, or 75% of what you normally use to workout?

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on just using the same weight I usually use on my 3 day split now. I do 5 to 6 training sessions a week right now. Figured using the same weight would be ok since im only doing 1/3 what I normally do. Usually do 3 sets and now will be doing only 1.

How are you planning on doing it as far as movements go

Pretty much just the core basic movements that I do now in my 3 day split. Squats, leg curls, bench press, shoulder side laterals, dips, rows, pullups, dumbbell curls, shrugs, standing calf, seated calf, abs.

Yes I have been doing this lately. I had the opportunity to train with Phil Hernon about a month ago. He promotes this type of training now. It was a great experience and has been a great change of pace for me.

Yeah, Im looking for something different too. Something that will shock my body some and provide more motivation as well. Hoping it might help me to lean down some too.

As the volume of training is still pretty much the same I can see where it could work well. As the muscles do not have to spend as much time recovering before they can start to grow past where they were.

RIght, and every set you do for a bodypart will be done when the muscle is pretty much rested and you should be able to use a lot more weight overall. When you do multiple sets for the same bodypart you end up having to lower the weight on later sets because of muscle fatigue.

I plan on doing maybe 6 days a week if I can handle it. What do you mean by 75% of your weight? Does that mean use 75% of your 1 RM, or 75% of what you normally use to workout?

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on just using the same weight I usually use on my 3 day split now. I do 5 to 6 training sessions a week right now. Figured using the same weight would be ok since im only doing 1/3 what I normally do. Usually do 3 sets and now will be doing only 1.

I'm gonna be little ambiguous on this, but will try to deliver the message.
I'm assuming you train at 100% right now doing the usual split...
So if your doing this kind of training, you will be able to push the first 2 days but then towards the second half of the week you will be sore, tired, unrecouperated... which will halt your progress.
PACE yourself... you are going to be repeating the same workout 6x and your objective is to maintain relatively the same intensity on the first and last workout of the week.
Side note, assuming you normally do 4 different exercises per bodybart to feel satisfied. Well now, you will still be doing the 4 exercises, but instead of doing then in one workout, you will be doing them individually day 1, 2, 3, 4 repeat your favorite day 5, or pic up 2 new movements you've wanted to do....
You will be doing more volume per body-part than you had been Maldorf only instead of higher volume per workout, you are vertically spreading the volume for each body part THROUGHOUT the week which means more frequently throughout the week, month... year.
Under most traditional training protocols you will train each body part hypothetically say 56x per year... well now you'll be doing 6x that which again theoretically is 336X each bodypart per year.We can talk about how you can gauge progress if you want

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws