advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone try the one set per bodypart per day workout?

I'm gonna be little ambiguous on this, but will try to deliver the message.
I'm assuming you train at 100% right now doing the usual split...
So if your doing this kind of training, you will be able to push the first 2 days but then towards the second half of the week you will be sore, tired, unrecouperated... which will halt your progress.
PACE yourself... you are going to be repeating the same workout 6x and your objective is to maintain relatively the same intensity on the first and last workout of the week.
Side note, assuming you normally do 4 different exercises per bodybart to feel satisfied. Well now, you will still be doing the 4 exercises, but instead of doing then in one workout, you will be doing them individually day 1, 2, 3, 4 repeat your favorite day 5, or pic up 2 new movements you've wanted to do....
You will be doing more volume per body-part than you had been Maldorf only instead of higher volume per workout, you are vertically spreading the volume for each body part THROUGHOUT the week which means more frequently throughout the week, month... year.
Under most traditional training protocols you will train each body part hypothetically say 56x per year... well now you'll be doing 6x that which again theoretically is 336X each bodypart per year.We can talk about how you can gauge progress if you want

I figured the fatigue would kick in at some point. I guess I will play it by how I feel and use instinct. Maybe take 1 day off after 3 days straight etc or later in the week lighten the load some to maintain reps or just let the reps fall a bit by not going to failure. Should be interesting to see how it goes. ive never done this before.

As I mentioned earlier, I hit just about every bodypart now 2x per week, and now that's going to be probably 6x. Going from the 3 day split to whole body. Right now Im doing the split Hernon had be do years ago, so I do it 2x each week. Using your logic then I hit every bodypart 104 times a year now, and with this new routine it will be 312 times.

Do you find yourself being able to consistently lift heavier on your sets while not getting extremely sore like you do on a traditional routine? Someone else mentioned how its easier on your joints. That sounds good to me, being 50 years old!

The question dilemma would be freakin strong you are.

The bigger and strong you are, the more likely you are to need a good amount of warmups. I can't hop into a 6-7plate Hack squat for a single failure set without slowly progressing with reps...adding a plate...more reps....and so one. Basically needing feeder sets to get warmed up enough. In the end, it would just depend on how I'm classifying my working sets.

Right now now my PPL routine I'm doing 2 big compound leg movements for 2 sets each. That's only 4 sets total. Plus one would probably need multiple exercises to fully develop their physique. Like legs (during the 1 set per bp workout) might be 1 leg ext, 1 leg curl, 1 hack squat, 1 adductor, 1 abductor? Maybe. Just stuff to think about.

When you think about it as one 1 failure set each day per bp, it sounds simple. But it also sounds like many only a novice or intermediate lifter could progress through this. An advanced lifter would end up with a decent amount of volume just from warmups.

Works GREAT, Maldorf.
Its one working set per body part. Warm up dynamically previous to that
by ALL means.
If you are training 3 days a week, train at 90% weight
If you are doing 6 workouts dont go past 75% of your weight...
If you do, you will not be recuperated before your next session.
The idea is to do as many EFFECTIVE workout is a period of time.

Exactly.

There are so many variables to this. So many read these routines and think it literally means walking in the gym and doing 1 working set of chest press then moving over to barbell rows and doing 1 working set there. Even if I was weak I could never go in the gym and do 1 working set straightaway. I would feel wrong not warming up as the potential for injury increases the stronger you are. On bench I don't even like going up 1 pps and prefer 1/2 plate (10kg) as I move up. I usually press 3-4 pps so it's a lot of warm ups. Although these workouts are can still be done with relative speed as you warm up quickly and as you get heavier you only do a max of 5 reps (muscles and cns ready for the weight). Then before your working set take approx 1-2 minutes and go for it. Once delts are warmed up you can go through chest quicker and the same for tri-ceps and so on.

Then comes the rep ranges and frequency. As Roque posted you can't carry on doing 100% at any rep ranges everyday of the week so rest days and/or changes in weights are needed. Although many may be surprised just how frequent they can train like this if they put thought into all areas (programming, diet, supplementation).

I generally prefer listening to my body so I don't do set days. I may have set workouts listed out (5 for example) and I simply follow the order but take breaks when I need them. Although with this type of training and with the thought process of putting 100% intensity each day I would personally like something like Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri but again I am not a fan of written days. Although that would mean 4 different workouts per week and 4 times you train each bodypart so 208 sessions over the year. The key is just picking the right movements for you and in a sensible order.

Last edited:
Yeah, the warmups had me concerned. For big comound lifts I would need to do at least 2 warmup sets but those wont tire me down any. The warmups though would make for a longer workout. Wouldn't need warmups for smaller bodyarts like shoulders and triceps because those exercises will follow doing bench press. Probably not any different than what I already do so the warmups shouldn't be an issue.

I have already been doing Phil's 3 day split workout where you just do 3 sets per bodypart, one exercise each. It works well for me. Before my heart attack I progressed to where I was squatting with 455x10 deep. That was my all time best. I was surprised how well I grew doing it. Prior to that I was doing endless exercises, 12 plus sets for chest etc. The low volume and high frequency works well for me. With the routine im doing I hit each bodypart 2x per week.

The once a day thing would have me hit each bodypart 7x per week, if I don't take a rest. I suspect that I will probably need at least one rest day per week, so id hit everything 6x a week. Ill give it a try for awhile and report back.

Im also trying to decide how much cardio to do and how to do it since it will be everyday. I am trying to get leaner so this will all help.

Phil here in a video showing showing his physique on 1 set per bodypart per day. Phil is a few years older than me too, so this hopefully works well for older guys like me. 50ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXl6mXsAqa4

I thought though the whole basis was also to do high reps... 15 to 20 to failure.. so numerous warmups would not be needed.. if you did that system heavy for lower rep ranges it would destroy joints.. Phil's was based on high reps from what I've seen...this allows for every dayvtraoni g and not trying the CNS

So progress is gauged at how efficiently you will perform your work out.
At first, as you get in the groove you will notice that you are finishing the training session in a shorter time doing all your reps and sets to satisfaction.
Shortly after, once you catch your pace you will notice that you have maintained your strength and energy towards the end of the work out ...
Next progress stepping stone will be when workout 1 and 6 are performed with the same pace and intensity....
Up until this point of conditioning you had been doing 8-12 reps , as Lats said you will start adding reps cross your work out...10 to 14. Once at this stage, you can play around with reps and/or slight weight increases.
You will get conditioned rapidly thats for sure, there is an adaptation period but you will walk around pumped like you never have before.
Phil, who is also a VERY GOOD friend of mine going back over 30 years will have you on a variation of this training system if he trains you today.
The body, a living organism will become efficient at what you ask it to do, by STRESSING your entire nervous system just enough via each individual muscle group simultaneously, and frequently you are asking your body to become STRONG. Im many different ways and not just muscle size.

There is a Asian competitor that does very well internationally who does a variation of this. Each bodypart is trained about 4 days a week..he does 12sets total a week for big groups and 8 or so small groups.

So he does a upper body lower body split. He keeps alternating until he feels he needs a rest.. the first workouts of the week are 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps.. usually one exercise a group.. arms 2 sets . He picks 4 exercises per muscle and alternates them per session

The second is 15 to 20 reps ( same cadence as first workout).. the third is cluster sets or muscle rounds two exercises per group except arms where 1 is all he does..

The last workouts are all isolation exercises.. chest is pec deck.. lats are pull overs .. laterals etc. Then the rotation will start again..

Similar to Phil's old workouts and Scott Stevenson's fortitude.. just hit it.. give it some time and hit it again.. it hasnt hurt david henry..

I thought though the whole basis was also to do high reps... 15 to 20 to failure.. so numerous warmups would not be needed.. if you did that system heavy for lower rep ranges it would destroy joints.. Phil's was based on high reps from what I've seen...this allows for every dayvtraoni g and not trying the CNS

im not going to do low reps, but rather moderate to high and go by how I feel. Today I did sets of 10 to 12 reps and felt good. I am experienced enough to know if my CNS needs a break, so I will listen to my body. I don't see any reason why someone cant do sets for as low as 8 to 10 reps, just as long as you don't do that every day.

So progress is gauged at how efficiently you will perform your work out.
At first, as you get in the groove you will notice that you are finishing the training session in a shorter time doing all your reps and sets to satisfaction.
Shortly after, once you catch your pace you will notice that you have maintained your strength and energy towards the end of the work out ...
Next progress stepping stone will be when workout 1 and 6 are performed with the same pace and intensity....
Up until this point of conditioning you had been doing 8-12 reps , as Lats said you will start adding reps cross your work out...10 to 14. Once at this stage, you can play around with reps and/or slight weight increases.
You will get conditioned rapidly thats for sure, there is an adaptation period but you will walk around pumped like you never have before.
Phil, who is also a VERY GOOD friend of mine going back over 30 years will have you on a variation of this training system if he trains you today.
The body, a living organism will become efficient at what you ask it to do, by STRESSING your entire nervous system just enough via each individual muscle group simultaneously, and frequently you are asking your body to become STRONG. Im many different ways and not just muscle size.

Wow, thanks for all of that. I can tell you spent some good time there going into detail. That is the way I plan on doing it.

So you recommend at first just adding in reps and not jumping up weight when your strength increases at first? That sounds like a good plan, and what I usually do anyhow. Perhaps let reps get up to the 14 before I up the weight.

Phil is a really smart guy and has a way of making training and diet seem like it is just common sense even though most guys don't do things his way. Once you trust in it then you will understand! I have respect for him in this. I had him train me for awhile over the phone/online and I went from a 5 day split hitting everything not much more than once a week to his 3 day split hitting everything 2x per week and doing about half the volume I had been. I thought it was a beginners workout and I would lose size and strength doing it. I trusted in him and it paid off big time! I grew larger and put on strength, felt better at the same time. Cut way back on the steroids too. Only 3 sets per bodypart, now going to try just 1 set each session.

I hope going from the 3 day split to this will be just as great a transition. I think the 3 day split he had me doing was his go to training regime back when I was with him, around 2007 to 2008. Had my heart attack in 2008.

Last edited:
There is a Asian competitor that does very well internationally who does a variation of this. Each bodypart is trained about 4 days a week..he does 12sets total a week for big groups and 8 or so small groups.

So he does a upper body lower body split. He keeps alternating until he feels he needs a rest.. the first workouts of the week are 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps.. usually one exercise a group.. arms 2 sets . He picks 4 exercises per muscle and alternates them per session

The second is 15 to 20 reps ( same cadence as first workout).. the third is cluster sets or muscle rounds two exercises per group except arms where 1 is all he does..

The last workouts are all isolation exercises.. chest is pec deck.. lats are pull overs .. laterals etc. Then the rotation will start again..

Similar to Phil's old workouts and Scott Stevenson's fortitude.. just hit it.. give it some time and hit it again.. it hasnt hurt david henry..

I was thinking about doing something similar to that. Good ideas. I was going to go more by how my body feels, but it can be hard to do. I think planning the rep ranges out like that is probably a better idea. I have a way of getting overtrained. Rotating exercises is a must I think.

I think this cuts to the bone here, this is the whole idea in a nutshell. I will have to be careful I don't push too hard and have to end up resting 2 days in a row to recover. Better to pace myself then.

If doing more than one set a exercise there is something to be said for doing RIR.. reps in reserve.. if you truly know what concentric failure is then being able to judge keeping a rep in reserve.. many studies show stopping a rep or two short of true concentric failure is just as effective as going to failure.. but allows less CNS fatigue and the ability to train more often.. just throwing it out there

If doing more than one set a exercise there is something to be said for doing RIR.. reps in reserve.. if you truly know what concentric failure is then being able to judge keeping a rep in reserve.. many studies show stopping a rep or two short of true concentric failure is just as effective as going to failure.. but allows less CNS fatigue and the ability to train more often.. just throwing it out there

That's pretty much what I do most of the time because of my heart condition. If I push it too hard I risk going into ventricular tachycardia and then V fibrillation. On things really hard on me like squats I will stop more like 3 or 4 reps early. It is a bit scary how much separates me sometimes from being ok and ending up with my defibrillator going off or going to the ER. So far I haven't had any trouble now since about May. Things are going well now and I am able to push harder than I was.

It is my nature though to try and push as close to failure as I safely can, heart or otherwise. It is hard for me to hold back.

Are these workouts generally done going from 1 exercise to the next without taking rest periods? In one of Phil's videos, he stated he does chest/shoulders/ triceps then takes a break before doing back and biceps followed by another break and then finishing with the lower body.

Pace yourself, you gonna have to gt through the workout with relatively consistent energy. Phil used to break the workout into groups, and rest as much as he needed to tackle the next set of muscles ...
I take my between each body part, while moving onto the next.
After your first few work outs, you will find your pace.

Well 7 workouts a week which all effectively create 1 gram of new muscle tissue may be good, but if one workout a week creates 14 grams of new muacle tissue, then it's not really about doing as many workouts as possible, but about doing workouts that result in the most growth over time...

There are a few ways to manage fatigue with this style of training.

1) Do opposing muscle groups. This also provides mobility work as it works one muscle while stretching the other.

2) Randomize the muscle groups, ie, hit biceps, then hamstrings, then chest, etc. This helps blood move lactic acid throughout the body without it localizing. For me, the localized lactic acid build up creates muscle soreness.

3) I work from smallest to biggest, starting with core work and finishing with legs. The allows me to warm up as I progress through training without affecting the larger muscle group sets. Curls warm-up my shoulders without fatiguing my chest, back, or legs. I also arranged it this way due to weaknesses. When feeling good I'll use two exercises per large muscle group.

Moving core work for both sides
Curls
Delts
Chest
Back
Triceps, very strong for me and gives me a breather before legs
Legs
Static core work
Stretch

At the end of the day I just want to train and love it.

Pace yourself, you gonna have to gt through the workout with relatively consistent energy. Phil used to break the workout into groups, and rest as much as he needed to tackle the next set of muscles ...
I take my between each body part, while moving onto the next.
After your first few work outs, you will find your pace.

Im just resting a bit between each set, like I normally would. So far it has been pretty good. Tougher than I thought it would be! I only made it 3 days straight before needing to take off a day rest.

I used to only lift 2 on 1 off, 1 on 1 off. So 5 days a week. Right now I am set to hit 6 days in a week, so that is a minor improvement. 3 days in a row is more than ive done in quite awhile.

I could feel minor soreness on day 2, and day 3 was a bit more sore and some stiffness. My lower back was feeling a bit beat up, and my knees/shoulders.

Reps I did were 10 to 12 the first day. I was sore so I lightened up to about 14 reps. The third day I stuck with the 14 reps or so. Felt real good to be honest.

The weight I used for the 14 reps I was able to get more reps with than usual. So I picked what I had been doing for 14 reps on the old 3 day split and used that. I figured I would only get 14 reps like usual. I ended up getting 15 or 16 reps easily with it now with this workout. I think the muscles are already more refreshed, even though they were somewhat sore still. I was surprised.

Last edited:
Weight loss!

Well, I have already lost 4 lbs this week and haven't really changed my eating much at all. It must be the different training. I feel hungry a lot more now. Ive been slowly trimming down since Christmas last year and have lost now about 24 lbs. Four of those lbs just in the past 4 days though. Waist is down about 1/4 inch or more.

The training seems to be working for me. So early yet to tell how it will work out long-term. So far I am happy with things.

I like the idea of only having to do 1 set for the core muscles!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity