advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone try the one set per bodypart per day workout?

Please keep us posted, I'm curious as well.

Honestly I was surprised, I moved along at quite a pace and I had to start sitting down during the legs portion as I was on the verge of vomiting.

I had that too. I was more hungry and was actually losing weight at the same time.
I train like this OFTEN when my training demands from other sports allow it. I also get insanely hungry doing a full body workout 7x/week. I don't put on any fat though and usually put on a little size. Then I go right back down when I start working endurance aspects in training but its a fun 4-6 week cycle when I have time to fit that training in!

by the way, I love this Phil Hernon video:

lol

I am digging these workouts and actually believe I might make some gains. I am working in the 15-30 rep range, taking all sets to failure (or technical failure) and getting a very nice pump. No better feeling than having the delts, arms, quads pumped 5x per week.

I was doing it for awhile until I ended up admitted to the hospital back in December or so. You need to have a pretty good endurance and conditioning if youre going to do it. If you are just starting up after a layoff I do not recommend it.

Here are a couple examples of something close to the full body workout by some jacked dudes including Phil

And pro rassler Paul Ellering

Been doing the B-Boy all week and it's going great so far, obviously not enough time to see how much I retain or gain etc but not that hard to do (endurance is nothing for myself) and feels effective. Doing 12 reps on everything cept squats and calves I do 20... calves is just holding dbs and doing calf raise

Hypothetically speaking...imagine this total body workout. ONE WORKING SET per workout of each exercise on this list taken to "technical failure." Rep range is irrelevant as long as you are pushing that muscle tension/near failure effort on your working set. Your total daily volume would be only 10 working sets. You train 5x per week. Using that formula your weekly total would be 5 working sets of: squats, deads, bench, military, dips, pull ups, cleans (I do upright rows), curls, calf raise, bent rows. Conceptually I love it. But I honestly think it would become a mental grind doing the same 10 movements every workout. However, if you could overcome that mental obstacle, I think this could be a huge mass booster.

Here are a couple examples of something close to the full body workout by some jacked dudes including Phil

And pro rassler Paul Ellering
Never saw the laterals where you raise them over your head! at 9:15 in first video you posted. Old school thing???

Never saw the laterals where you raise them over your head! at 9:15 in first video you posted. Old school thing???

Man even in the 80's that was not a typical lateral raise at the gyms I trained at. They haven't changed much through the years. A few things from the 80's you don't see as much of anymore are: Narrow grip upright rows to the chin, arm blaster curls, dumbbell triceps kickbacks, dumbbell pullovers, behind the neck military press (HUGE in the 80s), and maybe bench dips with plates loaded on your lap. Sure they are still around, but most of those movements were a staple back in the day. You know what you didn't see that you do see now? Bodybuilders emphasizing deadlifts.

Scott Abel used to advise doing a shrug at the top of the lateral raise (to also hit the traps) which looks very similar to what Phil Hernon is doing there. Supposedly it impinges your shoulders so it's probably not advisable but I did find it hits the traps nicely in a way shrugs don't. Might be worth a try if you have weak traps and if it doesn't hurt for you personally.

Yeah, the warmups had me concerned. For big comound lifts I would need to do at least 2 warmup sets but those wont tire me down any. The warmups though would make for a longer workout. Wouldn't need warmups for smaller bodyarts like shoulders and triceps because those exercises will follow doing bench press. Probably not any different than what I already do so the warmups shouldn't be an issue.

I have already been doing Phil's 3 day split workout where you just do 3 sets per bodypart, one exercise each. It works well for me. Before my heart attack I progressed to where I was squatting with 455x10 deep. That was my all time best. I was surprised how well I grew doing it. Prior to that I was doing endless exercises, 12 plus sets for chest etc. The low volume and high frequency works well for me. With the routine im doing I hit each bodypart 2x per week.

The once a day thing would have me hit each bodypart 7x per week, if I don't take a rest. I suspect that I will probably need at least one rest day per week, so id hit everything 6x a week. Ill give it a try for awhile and report back.

Im also trying to decide how much cardio to do and how to do it since it will be everyday. I am trying to get leaner so this will all help.

Phil here in a video showing showing his physique on 1 set per bodypart per day. Phil is a few years older than me too, so this hopefully works well for older guys like me. 50ish

I got the biggest and strongest I've ever been on Phil's 3 set per body part program. It's still my default program when my schedule allows me to follow it accurately.
As soon as I do, I grow like a weed.

This is pretty interesting.
I'm going to have to try this. While I wait on my equipment, I have a golds dip/chin thing, a dip belt and a bucket full of rocks( curls and laterals) along with 6 oly plates. Using that should be a good primer for when my rack/bench and bar get here.

I got the biggest and strongest I've ever been on Phil's 3 set per body part program. It's still my default program when my schedule allows me to follow it accurately.
I alternate between this workout and DC. I love this workout. NOT every workout, every few months or so. Whenever I get bored with one of them. I get the same results from both.

I alternate between this workout and DC. I love this workout. NOT every workout, every few months or so. Whenever I get bored with one of them. I get the same results from both.
I did the exact same thing for years. I'd switch when I got bored. I feel like, and this could all be in my head, I was denser on DC but I did weight more on Phil's program.
I was definately stronger overall on DC.

I did the exact same thing for years. I'd switch when I got bored. I feel like, and this could all be in my head, I was denser on DC but I did weight more on Phil's program.
I was definately stronger overall on DC.
At this point, at 56 years old, I'm not going to get stronger. But I can get more reps with the weight I use. And yes, I know that means I'm stronger but it's a different stress. With less on the joints.

Is that this workout (as described in the linked thread)????

Is that this workout (as described in the linked thread)????
That's not the original program he had me on. There's the bones of it in there but the one he put me on I was doing 3 to 5 sets per body part to failure and training each muscle twice a week. Exercise selection was very important.
I'm sure its posted here somewhere but personally I wont give it out without his permission.

A lot of guys on here trained with him. They can also chime in. I never felt over trained and wat hitting the lift numbers Phil did in that thread you posted.

Wondering if anyone gave this workout a shot. Do one set all out to failure for each bodypart, so each day is whole body. Workout each day until you feel like you need a break. Phil Hernon put this idea out there years ago and said it works great for him. I am going to try this soon and want some feedback.
You know what bro look at the growth principles for beginners work out, I know your not a beginner, but I hear lots of guys go that route beginner or not ,3 days a week , 1 set to failure , but 1 warm-up and multiple exercises per bodyfat , but on the first exercise of the day multiple warm ups , now that work out gets lots of praise and seems like it would be more effective , plus your body needs some recovery , everyday doesn't sound like a good idea , but I have no experience with it , hell it may work wonders idk

Workout

Pushups
Dips
Side laterals
Bent rows
Pull ups
DB curls
DB stiff leg
Squats
Calves
Crunches
Abductors.

^^^ my workout^^^
Bodyweight stuff was as many reps to failure, everything else was heavy enough to fail in a 10-12 rep range except squats I failed in the 20 rep range.

well, with the current gym situation, this looks like a great time to try this. I've got a set of power block DB's, elite fts resistance bands, a chin-up bar, and a stability ball, so I think I can do all these with what I've got at home.

b-boy - hope you see this and don't mind answering: what is the rest period between exercises? Do you just go through non-stop with no rest? Take a prescribed time of rest? Or just rest until you feel "ready" for the next exercise?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rpsly
NapsGear