over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Applying a Tourniquet Before Lifting

omoplata

Registered
Guys,

Check out this blog entry; it is a very interesting idea.
I am not promoting the method, nor am I pimping this specific blog. But the approach is very unusual. Essentially you apply a tourniquet to your arms for 5 minutes and do this 3 times. Then you go ahead and lift (now in this study they did a negative-accentuated sort of training and just about nobody on this forum trains exactly like that; but that should not be a reason to completely throw out this study)

95% Reduced CK (Marker of Muscle Damage) + Pain After Eccentric Curls W/ Ischemic Pre-Conditioning (3x5min BFR) - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

What they found as a result was that muscle damage was reduced significantly by doing this -or so they think. Can this method have any use at all in high level bodybuilding?

Thanks to all

My friend is a WBFF pro and does something like this when he trains legs. His legs aren't huge but he doesn't squat either because of knee problems. He tights knee wraps tightly around his upper thigh and then works out. Says it helps stretch the fascia because of a bigger pump, but I don't know if there is actually any scientific data to back that up

my opinion , no

Complete and udder bullshit.

Here’s a paintbrush . . . would you, anybody, paint us a pretty picture?

If you do this, them well, I am glad you have found something you can believe in.

Its called occlusion training or something like this. Hyde Yamigishi or whatever is the only pro I heard of trying this. But its well studied. You are pretty much trying to create an anaerobic environment in your muscles to stimulate anaerobic muscle fiber to grow; lack of oxygen for fuel by pinching off your supply of O2.

Bottom line is don't pass out with a cock ring on or the party is over.

Last edited:
Occlusion training has so many scientific benefits. The reason nobody really does it because they 1) aren't aware of that fact, or 2) it's weird and complicated to wrap something tight around your arm to work out. It apparently works extremely well though. I'd like to try it if someone showed me exactly how to do it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who does this regularly though. Seems like an excellent strategy.

Last edited:
Complete and udder bullshit.

Here’s a paintbrush . . . would you, anybody, paint us a pretty picture?

If you do this, them well, I am glad you have found something you can believe in.

You may want to read the data before dismissing it. There is overwhelming evidence that it works.

I have read it works but really who is going to do this consistently. I feel it's one of those things that is not practical. It's like injecting peptides 10x/day. Results sound worth it when in reality it's too much chore for the result.

It works

Blood-flow restriction training (BFR), occlusion training, Katsuu.
There are a couple of hundred scientific articles out there, so yes it works!
I would say it´s a great tool in the hypertrophy tool box, but you got to know how to use it.
And I prefer the tourniquet where you can actually what pressure you apply.

But nothing for the cool dude in the gym, you look like a freak walking around with tourniquets around your arms or legs (even if it just takes <10min)

Like someone said, its a great thing for rehabilitation (muscle damage, letting you joints rest and post surgery) or if you are old like me :star-:ars

Ok, I did not properly explain my points.

Occlusion training is usually performed whilst restricting blood flow to the muscles during the set. And, as ChinaBoy said "You are pretty much trying to create an anaerobic environment in your muscles to stimulate anaerobic muscle fiber to grow; lack of oxygen for fuel by pinching off your supply of O2."

Yes that is true, but this is not what is done here. In this study, they restricted blood flow to the muscles before the set and saw tremendous decline in muscle damage the next day -as in tremendous....

As far as training with the tourniquet on, there are tons and tons of articles on it and it works. However the article I lined talks of doing this before the set. That is way more practical and easy. If you have long-ish rest period between sets, you can apply a tourniquet between sets and just sit there. Performing a set with the elastic band or wrap on the muscle is tough, it hurts, your concentration suffers, the band comes of during the set and so on.... this is so much easier.

There was also a method of applying it after the workout:
Blood Flow Restriction in Athletes: Did We Get it All Wrong? Must BFR-Cuffs be Worn After, not During Each Set? - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

The after-workout method is even easier. Just sit there for 10 minutes while sipping an post workout shake and wait with the tourniquet on. No need to worry about "will I not be able to lift the same weight as I usually do, because I restricted blood flow before the set".

Sorry you are correct, I did not read the link you provided. :banghead:

I think that KAATSU Cycle is closest to this,
They apply pressure with tourniquet without exercise, triggering a small metabolic stress and releasing some growth factors.

KAATSU Cycle

I was planning to try it out sitting in front of the TV and hopefully speed up recovery.

Also known as Blood flow restriction training.. and it's amazing for training injured bodyparts... and before anyone wants to bash it... take your knee wraps and wrap them super tight high around your thighs... then do 4 sets of leg presses with light weight and little rest. Don't take the wraps off.

The pain/burn/uncomfortableness/fullness/pump is something you can't describe until you've tried it yourself.

Pretty common in my gym, although i've never givin it a go...

You may want to read the data before dismissing it. There is overwhelming evidence that it works.

Nothuman,

I did read it but my reply could not have been more obtuse. Sorry.

I was referring to it, ‘occlusion training’, being used and addressing OP’s
closing question . . . “Can this method have any use at all in high level
bodybuilding?” And my answer is still No. Self-evident truth tells me that
if had any lasting value in bodybuilding, then literally every bodybuilder
would be utilizing it, and they aren’t.

When I said ‘Here’s a paintbrush . . . would you, anybody, paint us a pretty
picture?’ I was referring to application. Nothuman, you are a bright guy,
figure it out, try it out, and report back to us with, if any, lasting results.

Cinder comes the closest to what I was implying but did not say. And his
comment about cock rings reminds me of a passage from a book I just read
and one of Leonardo da Vinci’s observations.

So . . . let me tell you a little story. It won’t take long, and by the time you
wake up it will be over ;)

During the Renaissance and before, the conventional explanation had always
been that the erect penis was inflated with air, like a beach ball or one of those
New Year's Eve noisemakers that uncurl to full length when you puff into it.
(This belief was so widespread that, as late as 1671, one well-regarded sex and
childbirth manual noted that "windy" foods—"beans and Pease and the like"—
"will make the Yard stand.")

Leonardo contentiously rejected such notions. "If an adversary says that such
a large quantity of flesh has grown through wind causing the enlargement and
hardness, as in a ball with which one plays, such wind gives neither weight nor
density but makes flesh light and rarified." But the penis was heavy and clunky,
not light and airy. Certainly this odd appendage did not drift aloft like a flimsy
and insubstantial balloon.

Years later he recorded another observation, perhaps from his observation of
an execution by hanging . . . the dead man had an erection. "Many die thus,
especially those hanged," Leonardo wrote. Why were the hanged hung?
Leonardo sorted that out. Postmortem dissections of newly executed criminals
resolved the mystery. "I have seen the anatomy (of these penises)," Leonardo
wrote in his notebook, "all of them having great density and hardness, and
being quite filled by a large quantity of blood." Blood, not air. Case closed.

- The Seeds of Life by Edward Dolnick

i had seen somewhere yrs ago dwight howard used this method. this was back when he wad good... guess he must have stopped

Use on the last exercise.

If you begin workout using them you won't be able to do much after two exercises.
Sunderland great but not for me.

I have 21.5 inch arms from barely any weight by using bands.
the problem is my forearms didn't grow. Now I wanna resort to synthol for forearms lol.

I'll be using these for calves and legs now.

Also known as Blood flow restriction training.. and it's amazing for training injured bodyparts... and before anyone wants to bash it... take your knee wraps and wrap them super tight high around your thighs... then do 4 sets of leg presses with light weight and little rest. Don't take the wraps off.

The pain/burn/uncomfortableness/fullness/pump is something you can't describe until you've tried it yourself.

I've tried it and I find it almost impossible to do 3-4 sets without taking them off, just too painful :D

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear