over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are bodybuilders "Athletes"?

An "ATHLETE" is someone who competes, plain and simple. When you tain or discipline yourself to be better then the average person in your sport or whatever then your "competing". And when you compete, you are a "athlete".

Different sports require different amounts of competition. But none the less and I dare not say it again, they "compete".

BOOMSHAKER said:
An "ATHLETE" is someone who competes, plain and simple. When you tain or discipline yourself to be better then the average person in your sport or whatever then your "competing". And when you compete, you are a "athlete".

Different sports require different amounts of competition. But none the less and I dare not say it again, they "compete".
Poker players , chess players, pro pool players compete as well, but neighter one of them are athletes.Golf Players - questionable(officially they are, but practically - no.
Bodybuilders are great athletes with great physical abilities who don't compete in any kind of sport, but do modeling!

stanio115 said:
Bodybuilders are great athletes with great physical abilities who don't compete in any kind of sport, but do modeling!

then what is your defenition of a sport? :confused: last time i checked it was a athletic competition to be the best or to beat out the other opponent correct? ANd if your answer is yes, then Bodybuilding is a "sport" were "athletes" compete against one another. And in order to beat anyone out in bodybuilding you must compete. Bodybuilders are NOT naturally great athletes, you must work hard at it. AND if you want to beat out the rest in your "sport" then you must be better then them wich again makes you a athlete competing for something!

Last edited:
if rythmic gymnastics is considered an olympic sport you bet your butt bodybuilders are athletes!!!

for all those who dont know, this is rythmic gymnastics --While mainstream or artistic gymnastics is performed on an apparatus like the vault, uneven bars, balance beam, and floor, rhythmic gymnastics, a strictly female event, is performed with an apparatus. The five disciplines in rhythmic gymnastics, once called modern gymnastics, are rope, hoop, ball, ribbon, and clubs. The competitors use graceful balletic moves and manipulate the various apparatus in conjunction with their bodies and music on a 13-meter square floor area.

I love when those little 4'-3" german chicks strap volkswagons to their backs and do backflips on the floor matt! thats real talent brother! :D

BOOMSHAKER said:
then what is your defenition of a sport? :confused: last time i checked it was a athletic competition to be the best or to beat out the other opponent correct? ANd if your answer is yes, then Bodybuilding is a "sport" were "athletes" compete against one another. And in order to beat anyone out in bodybuilding you must compete. Bodybuilders are NOT naturally great athletes, you must work hard at it. AND if you want to beat out the rest in your "sport" then you must be better then them wich again makes you a athlete competing for something!

Sport is a competition in which athletes are being rated according to their athletic abilities.It Might be the abilitiy to run fast,run long, lift heavy, wrestle...etc.In team sports evry player has a different position which requires certain kind of physical abilities.Like I said - bodybuilders are great athletes but if bodybuilding shows were sport events then the one who can lift the most or lift a certain weight for most reps would be tha champ, because that's what bodybuilders do - they lift heavy weights for reps.

SZona said:
Ever watch a Non-Athletic Person Lift weights?! That will answer your question!

SZ

Have you been watching me? ::port-smi

I would have to say YES.

definition:
ath‧lete  /ˈæθlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ath-leet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

Alin said:
IMO bodybuilders are the most dedicated true athletes of any sport.
Bump my man A-Dog to say the least...

hmmmm

littlemack said:
I'm not sure how you can be involved with bodybuilding and not be thinking of it as a sport. BB'ers train just as hard as other athletes. They have just as much discipline as other athletes. Yes, bodybuilding is based on looks, but what got you that look? Do you think the judges are all female and looking for the best looking male on stage? No. Of course not. They are looking for size, symetry, conditioning, etc... Which lifting, dieting, and supplementation helped them achieve.

Bodybuilding has become a PROFESSIONAL SPORT with money prizes. Its that simple. Not a lot of money, I know, but it is still a PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

I dont believe BBing is a sport, its a beauty pageant and a cattle show mix. Does dieting take a special sport talent? The act of training can be considered athletic, but how do u differentiate one to be more athletic then another through a resistant movement.... by flexibility, strength? I also dont know how much athletic ability it takes to put on pro tan and not drink fluids during a day of competition?
gooey

gooey said:
I dont believe BBing is a sport, its a beauty pageant and a cattle show mix. Does dieting take a special sport talent? The act of training can be considered athletic, but how do u differentiate one to be more athletic then another through a resistant movement.... by flexibility, strength? I also dont know how much athletic ability it takes to put on pro tan and not drink fluids during a day of competition?
gooey
Yea but it is still a sport...go a head and lift heavy ass weights for no purpose and you will be better than the other dusche bag and stronger...what do you think happens withe other sports...

Tyrone said:
Yea but it is still a sport...go a head and lift heavy ass weights for no purpose and you will be better than the other dusche bag and stronger...what do you think happens withe other sports...
:D You changed your post bro:D Your in rare form today Ty, that Tren kickin' in?!!!:p ;)

kawasaki1 said:
:D You changed your post bro:D Your in rare form today Ty, that Tren kickin' in?!!!:p ;)
OOPS! Tren is good....:eek: :D

no.

for the most part bodybuilders are not atheletes, but i do believe some atheletes are bodybuilders.

a true athelete has a god- given abililty to perform in competition at a level higher than the average person due to genetic predispositions towards athletisism.

an athelete generally picks up any sport easily and adapts to new stimulus with as great an ease when it comes to developing the necessary reflex and motorskills involved in such an undertaking.

i know many good bodybuilders, but would call few of them true atheletes.

i would venture to say the sport that attracts the most true atheltes would be the game of football- i sincerely doubt that the average competitive bodybuilder can run a 4.5- 4.6 40, have a vertical of 40+ inches at a weight of 270+ pounds. add on top of that flexibilty, reflex/ reaction time, balance/ co-ordination and hand/ eye speed.

those who think they are an athelete just because they take in 300+ grams of protein a day and train 5-6 times a week need to go and stand beside guys like reggie bush or ladainian tomlinson and then come back here and post about how much they resemble the prototypical athelete.

all poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles.

just my 0.02

BFU

Last edited:
I think the drug-use is too much of a necessity to really call yourself an 'athlete' but thats just me

Likewise I would personally be ashamed if I was on a lot of steroids and dared to call myself an 'athlete'

Now please dont flame, this is just my opinion :)

Moen said:
I think the drug-use is too much of a necessity to really call yourself an 'athlete' but thats just me

Likewise I would personally be ashamed if I was on a lot of steroids and dared to call myself an 'athlete'

Now please dont flame, this is just my opinion :)

(no flamming, just making a point)

A football player wether he is on steroids or not is being paid millions of dollars to play football, he gets injured on the field. You feel bad for him, they carry him off. Later on he comes back on the field and you cheer like crazy for him. You say "damn that guys a hell of an athlete". But what you refuse to agree to or listen to is that he went back to the dressing room, got injected with anti-inflammatory roids and was sent back into the game!

Later on he retires from football and gets into the hall of fame! Did he really deserve to be in the hall of fame? Or should they put on the pedestal where his head (bust) should be a sculpture of the needle and roids he took for years everytime he got injured and need a little extra help!? See my point?

First....
Boom! Your new avatar is causing dynamite to go off in my pants. :eek:

Second....
If bodybuilders are not athletes then I will just hang out at the bowling alley and drink beer. :)

In order for any sport to be called that title, there has to be some form or sort of competition. Standing in the bathroom wacking your putter is not a sport, cause there is no competition. :D But if 2 or more guys get on stage and "compete" for something, then it becomes a sport. The U.S. olympics has a "sport" called "curling". Those folks in the sport are called "athletes". They do not run, jump, eat a special diet, train in the gym, nor run on a treadmill to stay in shape for this so called "sport". However they are stilled called athletes. WHY?

p.s. littlemack stay away from my avatar perv boy! :D :D

question

Do you guys consider male models or underwear models athletes?

If they had a contest To determine who was the run way model of the year, would they be considered athletes?

Are the Girls who Compete for Miss America Athletes?

All of the a above also pay attention to their diet to look a certain way, exercise, tan, groom the hair and beard to look a certain way. Even though most guys that do this look like skinny weirdos it is still similar to bodbuilding in alot of ways.

Bodybuilding resembles the above competions far more than any traditional sport or athletic competition.

I guess my answer to the question: Is bodybuilding a sport and are BBs athletes? would be...Yes but not really.

Last edited:
Conan21 said:
Do you guys consider male models or underwear models athletes?

If they had a contest To determine who was the run way model of the year, would they be considered athletes?

Are the Girls who Compete for Miss America Athletes?

All of the a above also pay attention to their diet to look a certain way, exercise, tan, groom the hair and beard to look a certain way. Even though most guys that do this look like skinny weirdos it is still similar to bodbuilding in alot of ways.

Bodybuilding resembles the above competions far more than any traditional sport or athletic competition.

I guess my answer to the question: Is bodybuilding a sport and are BBs athletes? would be...Yes but not really.

True, BUT, male models and underwear models do not "compete" for anything.

That is unless you are one of those Calvin klein teens on the commercials who are very emaciated and you are competing for the last slim jim in someones pocket!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131