advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are carb depletion days recommended for offseason?

n3mo0101

Registered
The next competition I am competing in will be in April 2017. I want to add a little more muscle mass but I obviously want to keep the gains as lean as possible. Do you guys ever do carb depletion (low to no carb days) during the offseason to keep off the fat and keep the metabolism burning fast?

Whenever I have a low carb (40-50g carbs all day, only at breakfast), I can almost feel my metabolism tearing through everything I put into my body after 3PM. I am currently on a carb cycling diet based on adding lean muscle mass. Mentally, I know (at least I feel like) I am burning fat on my med-low carb days.

Do you guys recommend these low carb days when trying to put on lean mass?

They can be beneficial no doubt in the off season. But the correct answer is 'it depends'.

It depends on your metabolism, hormonal profile, training style, amount of off season cardio, bodyfat levels, etc.

If typically you get out of shape easy during the off season then Yes they can be useful for staying tighter and keeping insulin sensitivity higher. Higher insulin sensitivity then higher nutrient partitioning on your med and high days meaning building muscle more efficiently those days. You just want to make sure those low days are not depleting you too far where progress isn't being made.

If you're a hard gainer then I typically would keep carbs/calories consistent across all days.

They can be beneficial no doubt in the off season. But the correct answer is 'it depends'.

It depends on your metabolism, hormonal profile, training style, amount of off season cardio, bodyfat levels, etc.

If typically you get out of shape easy during the off season then Yes they can be useful for staying tighter and keeping insulin sensitivity higher. Higher insulin sensitivity then higher nutrient partitioning on your med and high days meaning building muscle more efficiently those days. You just want to make sure those low days are not depleting you too far where progress isn't being made.

If you're a hard gainer then I typically would keep carbs/calories consistent across all days.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not a hardgainer, however my metabolism has always been fast in the sense that its very difficult for me to put on fat. I'm at 215lbs and`8-10% body fat. If I add a couple pounds of lean muscle every 2-3 months, that's really good for me in my opinion. I started at about 170lbs 2 years ago, so I have had really great gains, but they are slowing down. I am trying to gear myself more towards classic physique than bodybuilding.

I keep calories and protein consistent, however I switch up fats and carbs depending on my workouts for that day.

then why IN THE HELL would a hardgainer carb deplete...????

you guys like to piss me off i swear...:D

:cool:

So if I am able to add 1-1.5 lbs of LEAN MUSCLE per month, that's considered good progress right?

So if I am able to add 1-1.5 lbs of LEAN MUSCLE per month, that's considered good progress right?

that would be considered ALIEN status.....

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not a hardgainer, however my metabolism has always been fast in the sense that its very difficult for me to put on fat. I'm at 215lbs and`8-10% body fat. If I add a couple pounds of lean muscle every 2-3 months, that's really good for me in my opinion. I started at about 170lbs 2 years ago, so I have had really great gains, but they are slowing down. I am trying to gear myself more towards classic physique than bodybuilding.

I keep calories and protein consistent, however I switch up fats and carbs depending on my workouts for that day.

If it's hard for you to put on fat I would skip the low/zero carb days and keep calories consistently up on all days.

I put on fat a little easier so I cut carbs in half on off days and do a little light cardio as well. Sounds like things are working very well for you already so don't mess with success!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I put on fat a little easier so I cut carbs in half on off days and do a little light cardio as well. Sounds like things are working very well for you already so don't mess with success!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very true!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner