over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are carbs REALLY needed on REST days?

JLizzle

Banned
As above...

Rest days are carbs needed?

I know for those with an active job they will be important..but for me and others who sit at a desk from 8 till 5pm...then dont do any other activity really on off days will carbs serve a function?

Reason i ask is im recomping but was gonna increase fats on off days and keep protein moderate as i know fats are important too...

Training days carbs will still be in around the pre, during, post and post post meals/training window.

Basically on rest days id be green veg with meat and good fats with some blueberries or similar so carbs would be under 40-50g which i think will be fine as im not active on off days..

Cheers

Just keep in mind your body will need feel to recover from intense workouts.

Yeah understand..

But ill be taking like 50g pre, 75g during with peptopro, 50-60g post and then another 50-60g in my post post workout meal

I've done low carb and no carb on off days while dieting/recomping many times and have had excellent results.

Depends on body type. For me carbs everyday are essential.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on body type. For me carbs everyday are essential.

Yes for me carbs are essientail as well as well so I am biased. Like stated above many do very well on low carb off days. Have you ever tried just cutting your carbs in half for every meal on the low days?

It is a big misconception that carbs are needed for energy(within reason). As long as your glycogen stores are refilled after your workout, with carbs obviously, you will actually have more energy the next day without carbs. Carbs put you to sleep. The hormones that are produced in the absence of carbs will keep you awake and alert until glycogen becomes depleted.

It is a big misconception that carbs are needed for energy(within reason). As long as your glycogen stores are refilled after your workout, with carbs obviously, you will actually have more energy the next day without carbs. Carbs put you to sleep. The hormones that are produced in the absence of carbs will keep you awake and alert until glycogen becomes depleted.

This is true. I always train carbless and am much stronger this way. I like plenty of carbs day before though. That said now I've got real lean carbs don't Make me tired anymore. Can't even knock my self out with the pre bed cheat meal like I used too. Main reason I need carbs every day is on a very low carb day I can't sleep for Shit. Is like my cns is over simulated and I only get about 2 hours tops. Give me 300 carbs that day and I get a good 8 hours

Last edited:
Not if you are an ectomorph son !

Its worth mentioning im not naturally lean.

Carbs are good fuel for anaerobic stuff like lifting weights..so makes sense to have them on off days..

Im not naturally lean. I dont do much carbs on off days. Id eat the blueberries or a little fruit at night to bring down cortisone so you sleep better. All most all my carbs are pre/intra/post workout. Works well for me.

I don't need them on off days.

Why don't ectomorphs eat more fats?

Things I don't understand.

1) Why people with fast metabolisms don't utilize more fats. Why all the rice, oats, etc if you could be eating avocados, grassfed beef, etc?

2) Why people with fast metabolisms think cheat meals are okay all the time if they can stay lean.

I really don't understand this. If anybody is willing to answer this, please do without broscience.

Lower carb sure, not very low carb since it takes time for the body to adapt to primarily fat metabolism versus glucose metabolism hence why when going Keto, you feel shitty for several days and then adapt.

1) Why people with fast metabolisms don't utilize more fats. Why all the rice, oats, etc if you could be eating avocados, grassfed beef, etc?

2) Why people with fast metabolisms think cheat meals are okay all the time if they can stay lean.

I really don't understand this. If anybody is willing to answer this, please do without broscience.

1. Higher fat lower carb diets Leave me very lethargic and miserable regardless of calories. Interferes with my work rate at work and just makes me an ass hole in general. I always stay leaner on higher carb diets at same calories for some reason too. No science or Bro science just the way my body responds from trial and error.

2. Totally agree. One cheat a week a nice mental break and sometimes needed for social reasons but fuck filling up on Mcds just to hit calories. Been there done it results shit. I'm a Brown rice, fruit and veg guy for carbs. Foods I love and they do my body and just as importantly my mind good. I'm very jolly and upbeat when on getting my carbs. I can stay pretty lean eating shit but leaner still sticking to the good stuff.

Last edited:
1. Higher fat lower carb diets Leave me very lethargic and miserable regardless of calories. Interferes with my work rate at work and just makes me an ass hole in general. I always stay leaner on higher carb diets at same calories for some reason too. No science or Bro science just the way my body responds from trial and error.

2. Totally agree. One cheat a week a nice mental break and sometimes needed for social reasons but fuck filling up on Mcds just to hit calories. Been there done it results shit. I'm a Brown rice, fruit and veg guy for carbs. Foods I love and they do my body and just as importantly my mind good. I'm very jolly and upbeat when on getting my carbs. I can stay pretty lean eating shit but leaner still sticking to the good stuff.

And you're still getting plenty of fats in your diet, over 100g daily.

And you're still getting plenty of fats in your diet, over 100g daily.

With fish oil and incidentals like chicken breast, tuna etc I reakon about 115. 95 that I count from almonds walnuts and olive oil mainly

I tend to psych myself into thinking I am eating too many carbs because I'm naturally a chubby fella, but whenever I bring carbs back into my diet I look and feel 10 times better. It was a big hurdle for me to eat carbs on my off days as I have been doing ZERO on every day off from the gym for over a year, and I have someone doing my diet now and they insisted I eat like normal on off days and if anything I feel like it's helping, at very least not holding me back.

It's kind of funny, cause on paper (and in my head, I thought) I should be the kind of guy who would benefit most from low low carbs and higher fats, and did that for years and just spun my wheels and never got below 10%. But if I flip that around and do low low fat (a few high days but 5 days out of the week zero direct fat sources), and moderate carbs, my body changes rapidly and fat melts off.

I only would use this approach when dieting for comp or something similar though, as I know fats are integral for health. Off-season I get plenty.

things that make you go hmm....

All week long i eat fish veggies egg whites coconut oil all natural peanut butter, 98% lean ground beef....

then friday nights meal is Mickey D's, then saturday back to diet, saturday nights meal mickey D's, sunday back to diet, sunday nights meal mickey D's....

side note: after having the mickey D's meals my veins pop out of my skin so much my girl hates it, especially the ones that bulge out of my forehead...lol

i hang around 230-225lbs bf 5%, no cardio... i got my body figured out and i'm loving it!!!

muscles constantly look full and veiny....this is my body it took me alot of trial and error with nutrition and training to get this far i'm not telling anybody they should use this outline it works for me...

Also, my pre work out is a john meadows special 1/2 cup cream of rice, table spoon of all natural peanut butter, and tbspn of sugar free chocolate syrup. half scoop of protien powder...

i use no thermogenics of any kind

Last edited:
All week long i eat fish veggies egg whites coconut oil all natural peanut butter, 98% lean ground beef....

then friday nights meal is Mickey D's, then saturday back to diet, saturday nights meal mickey D's, sunday back to diet, sunday nights meal mickey D's....

i hang around 230-225lbs bf 5%, no cardio... i got my body figured out and i'm loving it!!!

muscles constantly look full and veiny....this is my body it took me alot of trial and error with nutrition and training to get this far i'm not telling anybody they should use this outline it works for me...

Also, my pre work out is a john meadows special 1/2 cup cream of rice, table spoon of all natural peanut butter, and tbspn or sugar free chocolate syrup. half scoop of protien powder...

i use no thermogenics of any kind and cardio once or maybe twice a week for 30 minutes....

Mmmm McDonalds

#2 you answered yourself, why wouldn't it be okay if I can stay lean, eat cheat meals ?? Are you worried about my health ? Then tell me to drop the steroids not one or two more extra cheat meals per week than the endos

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member