over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are carbs REALLY needed on REST days?

Gotta be one of the best layman's termed breakdowns i've seen in awhile!

I think sometimes…some people…just make this shit way more complicated than it really has to be….

You wanna add “size” and have the BEST possible environment for muscle growth? HIGH CARB !

You wanna peel fat off as EFFICIENTLY as possible? ZERO CARB !

Its extremely simple.

Eat lots of carbohydrate meals spread throughout….That means constant glucose in the blood, keeps insulin elevated for basically the entire day….

Carbohydrate + Protein + Training = Protein synthesis AKA muscle

Now…on the other end of the spectrum…..

Eat NO carbohydrates….strictly protein and fat….and you keep much lowered levels of glucose in the blood, Insulin shuts the fuck up and what happens when you add cardio? Fat loss.

Yes, of course its possible to lose fat on high carb….but it is NOT the most efficient way…..

Yes, of COURSE you can grow lots of muscle on high protein and high fat….but on most bodies….its NOT the most efficient way…

Science proves that the largest protein synthesis spike comes from a protein containing minimum 5 grams of leucine combo'd with carbohydrate…

Science proves that by having very low levels of glucose in the blood, the body will utilize any stored energy it has….and that is body fat….

Diet macro’s are unique to every one of us. Some people NEED 800grams of carbs or MORE to grow…. Some only need 300….
Some people need 400 grams of protein to grow….Some people only need 200…. Everyone of us are 100% absolutely different….

Just because the fucker next to you can metabolize and churn his way through 3 pounds of pasta, doesn’t fucking mean YOU can….

The key is KNOWING your current level of energy within your body. You know damn fucking well what you ate 3 hours ago and what you ate 8 hours ago….
If you ate 2 wnole pies of pizza 3 hours ago, what makes u fucking think it’s a good idea to eat another 2 pies? No….wait your fat ass and allow your body to metabolize through 2 pies for the next 10-12 hours and then feed yourself again.

The body is like a gas tank. Theres an Empty….and theres a Full…

If you stop eating carbs for 5 days or more….fully depleteing…..youre gonna be running on fumes….those fumes we can consider as body fat. The longer and longer and longer you run on fumes…the more and more body fat you will lose….
If you pump tons and tons of “Gas” into your tank….talking 750 grams + per day for 5 days or more…youre gonna be FULL….Keep pumping “Gas” and the shit will start SPILLING OUT! At the end of the day…your genetics determine wether that SPILL OUT is all out body fat gain, all out muscle gain, or all out waste coming out of your ass.

Just bumping this back up...good thread

Sent from my PMP5580C using Tapatalk 4

My body goes into a starvation state about 3-4 hours after a large meal. It all depends on my metabolism (also reflected in thyroid levels). When I have my metabolism really cranked up (naturally) I can go into a starvation state in 2 hours after a large meal.. Could explain how you know and determine this? 2hrs after a large meal your stomach won't even be 1/2 emptied and the food will barely be part way through your small intestines.

Also catabolism isn't inherently bad or at least I thought. If you never catabolize anything you can never use fat in your body since catabolism is the process that also breaks down fat for energy

If you have dieted for a show, you can definitely tell when energy from a previous meal is gone. The idea that there is still carbohydrate digesting after 2 hours does not apply here, it simply isn't true, maybe for some people, but not for bodybuilders with high metabolisms who are dieting. Your body will burn fat for energy even with not in catabolism.

No control? Over what? I'm sorry but you do not know who I am or what my "goals" are. I know you you are a veteran on this board and think you know everything, but you do not.

I'm not preaching anything. I'm stating facts.

I'm not even going to touch your statements about 'starvation' and nitrogen balance. All I can do is shake my head. People will lap up everything you say because you have a great physique, and that's fine.

Wow, pretty defensive. I'd also like to point out that I often admit that I don't know things. "Control" is a term used in scientific studies. When you do an experiment with only yourself, you have nothing to compare it to, thus you have no control. Starvation state is the beginning of a hormone cascade that is very tangible to anyone who has dieted hard. The fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about shows how little experience you have with hard dieting.

About your "goals," all I said is that your goals are relative to YOU. That is just a fact, it has nothing to do with what those goals might be.

Calm down.

If you have dieted for a show, you can definitely tell when energy from a previous meal is gone. The idea that there is still carbohydrate digesting after 2 hours does not apply here, it simply isn't true, maybe for some people, but not for bodybuilders with high metabolisms who are dieting. Your body will burn fat for energy even with not in catabolism.

While I've never dieted for s show I have cut with shelby and when in that full on cut mode your body destroys that food in no time as a you say you can feel it. Even the cheat meals seem to dispear down a black hole. With all the carb restriction, heavy lifting and cardio your body is like a sponge and that food don't hang about the stomach long. You can see the rapid drop off in blood glucose which doesn't even rise much to start with. I was very surprised how differently the body handles food and especially carbs in this environment. I can only imagine what is like when nearing show condition.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
While I've never dieted for s show I have cut with shelby and when in that full on cut mode your body destroys that food in no time as a you say you can feel it. Even the cheat meals seem to dispear down a black hole. With all the carb restriction, heavy lifting and cardio your body is like a sponge and that food don't hang about the stomach long. You can see the rapid drop off in blood glucose which doesn't even rise much to start with. I was very surprised how differently the body handles food and especially carbs in this environment. I can only imagine what is like when nearing show condition.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Also my experience exactly, "black hole" is a great analogy lol. I have never been to the bodyfat levels someone like Shelby reaches, I can't even imagine what that is like hunger/diet wise.

If your not worried about your carb intake then I say load the F up and give your body the fuel it needs.

If you want to burn fat eat less calories which normally means less carbs.

If you want to build muscle eat more calories which normally means more carbs.

Figure out your body and what works optimal for you. It takes time, trial and error and you will always still be learning and at times think you have it all figured out and then at times realize you still have a shit load to learn.

Don't be so OCD about everything. Don't over think shit and follow KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Like Nike says "Just Do It"

Sometimes I wonder if some people involved in this sport can even wipe their own ass without researching the best way to wipe or which toilet paper gives the best butt wiping.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Urs
NapsGear