over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are excess calorie requirements a myth?

I'm still a relatively newbie at competing...only 3 years under my belt. But I've noticed that after cutting for a comp, my best "growth" came afterwards when I was able to add calories. Like my body was ready to soak up extra calories to grow.

Well, to a certain degree, yes. I mean I'm about 5'7, I started around 13 years ago and was about 150, skinny fat, no abs. Now I'm about 185-190 with abs year round.... BUT I've never really gone past 200 or so and I hit that 190lbs within my first year to two. The only real difference over the past decade has been that i've really, really slowly gotten leaner at that same weight.... first time i bulked to 190 my waist was like 36, now it's about 31.

I just don't buy the idea that I could force feed my way up to 230lbs, and when I cut back down I would suddenly have 19 inch arms instead of 18....I've had 18 inch arms for about 7 years, I think that's genetically as far as I can go (natty) and being far for a year wouldn't change that. Hell, maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me.

You're talking about two different things. Yes, you may very well have hit (or come very close) to your ceiling as a natty. Future gains, if any, may be very small and bulking up to 230 is probably pointless.

However, 95% of your gains within your first year of training is not supported by your training history. If after your first year or two, you were at 190 and 36" waist and now you're at 190 with a 31" waist, that means in the intervening time, you've probably put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and dropped an equal amount of fat, give or take a few pounds depending on your individual morphology. It's hard to tell how much you gained those first two years, but the 15-20 pounds of muscle you put on afterward is certainly much greater than 5% of what you put on those first two years.

The body is ALWAYS either building up or breaking down, there is no in between. Positive nitrogen balance is the key. This means that there is an excess of protein that is NOT being broken down into energy. When you enter an negative nitrogen balance protein is being metabolized into energy and the body is in a catabolic state, cortisol is probably being released in larger amounts also.

We go into a negative nitrogen balance between most meals, and it's probably a good thing, but you don't want to spend too much time in this state, and maybe none at all depend on what your goals are.

You don't NEED to eat an excess, but ask yourself this: how are you going to eat EXACTLY the right amount? You can't, and if you try, you risk eating too little, so the only solution is to eat a SLIGHT excess.

This is only relevant if you are after absolute maximum muscular gains in the shortest period of time, for most non bodybuilders it probably doesn't apply.

Literally all little slice's posts that made him a Kilo club member are one liner zinger posts...

If he had a different avatar I would probably be over it and bored...but it's just too perfect

Well, to a certain degree, yes. I mean I'm about 5'7, I started around 13 years ago and was about 150, skinny fat, no abs. Now I'm about 185-190 with abs year round.... BUT I've never really gone past 200 or so and I hit that 190lbs within my first year to two. The only real difference over the past decade has been that i've really, really slowly gotten leaner at that same weight.... first time i bulked to 190 my waist was like 36, now it's about 31.

I just don't buy the idea that I could force feed my way up to 230lbs, and when I cut back down I would suddenly have 19 inch arms instead of 18....I've had 18 inch arms for about 7 years, I think that's genetically as far as I can go (natty) and being far for a year wouldn't change that. Hell, maybe I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me.

Well take it from someone who went from 140 lbs to 160 lbs in the first year, and progressed to 250 lbs over 6 years, and now resides comfortably at 230-240 lbs 10 years later...it doesn't happen without putting on some fat and force feeding.

Eat like a 190 lber and that's what you'll be. Simple.

There is a huge problem with your training or diet if you gain 95 percent of the size youll ever gain, in one year. Whether you started training on massive drugs and food, or not. (starting like that is another horrible idea. No foundation)

As the previous poster said. If you are eating as a 190 pounder thats all youll ever be. If progress has stopped then its that limited mindset thats limiting your growth. Starting with excuses that you cannot get any larger without drugs, or that you dont need to force down more food, are the biggest mistakes I see from most lifters. The fear of being fat. Extremely consumed with the temporary appearance and no vision for long term results. Because I dont give a fuck about that, its allowed me to reach 242. I started around 105-115 I estimate at the same height.

Its been 20 years now , of training and force feeding, and Im still growing. Everyones growth rate is different but one year is rediculously short to max out at.

Also as another poster said. There is no way to determine the optimum amount of food daily. Activity levels change daily and the body always changes. One way to fuck up your overall progress is to be on a consistant down trend with your eating. Getting less than you need. That will slow down and hurt gains ultimately. Eating more than you need will never be an issue for muscle growth. Much better to make that error than eating too little. Once my metabolism slowed down after 30, I needed MUCH less calories and protein to grow. So there are things like that to take into account. Especially when Im regaining old muscle memory after a break. I can gain on very little now. Once you know your body you can work with that and alter it as needed, but if you are not progressing something needs to change. When I was younger it seemed I needed 4000 plus calories just to maintain my weight. Or id lose 5 lbs over night. Growing was rediculously difficult and slow during those years. That didnt change until after 30. (late twenties it began). I also didnt fuck with anabolics for about the first 10 years.

Losing fat takes much less time than gaining new muscle. If thats your goal then its best not to give a fuck about getting fat and just make sure your adding muscle with it as well.

I wont even get into the other mistakes I see, such as training too little volume and too low intensity. I believe in high volume, high intensity. Most think this is some mythological thing but it simply comes down to pushing your body's limits. The body will be forced to adapt and grow. Thats another issue though.

KILL THAT SHIT

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner