over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are Free-Range eggs really Free-Range?

jimmyjones

Banned
Kilo Klub Member
Egg-splained: Free-range, cage-free and organic – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

"Free-range: The USDA does not specify the quality or size of the outside range nor the duration of time an animal must have access to the outside or the amount of space available to them, and there is no mandate that the chickens are fed organically or are hormone and antibiotic-free.

For a chicken - and their eggs - to be labeled "free-range" or "free-roaming" the USDA regulations state, "Producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the outside." According to the Egg Safety Board, outside the United States, free-range "denotes a method of farming husbandry where the animals are allowed to roam freely instead of being contained in any manner."

While some egg producers are truly free-range, and the chickens remain outdoors for a good deal of the time, there is nothing preventing a factory farm from labeling eggs as free range, merely because the structure in which the chickens live has a door to an outside yard."

I'm not sure that them living outside has as much to do with the quality of the eggs as does what they eat , even if they are roaming around freely if they are constantly fed drugs and grain then their eggs won't have the quality ftas that a chickne who roams around and has to look for his food as that chicken will be eating alot of grass.

I think that chickens who are fed a vegitarian diet even if kept indoors will have healthier eggs.

Chickens are opportunistic feeders , meening that they will eat what is eas;ly accessable , even if kept outside if they are constantly fed inside they will hang out their waiting to be fed again so the "dorr to the outside" realy doesnt matter. As does their feed , their not gonna goo looking for food when its served to them constantly

Chickens are nastly little fuckers that will eat ANYTHING

Dont confuse FREE RANGE with cage free or organic. Cage free and organic are a waste of money. Thats all verbage and trickery. True free range eggs are chickens that roam around freely and eat whatever they want. The best way is to find a local farmer. Also you can contact your local 4h club and find kids that raise chickens and eggs for their 4h competitions.

I'm not sure that them living outside has as much to do with the quality of the eggs as does what they eat , even if they are roaming around freely if they are constantly fed drugs and grain then their eggs won't have the quality ftas that a chickne who roams around and has to look for his food as that chicken will be eating alot of grass.

I think that chickens who are fed a vegitarian diet even if kept indoors will have healthier eggs.
Chickens are opportunistic feeders , meening that they will eat what is eas;ly accessable , even if kept outside if they are constantly fed inside they will hang out their waiting to be fed again so the "dorr to the outside" realy doesnt matter. As does their feed , their not gonna goo looking for food when its served to them constantly

Chickens are nastly little fuckers that will eat ANYTHING

Living outside means they are stress free and get plenty of sunshine.. That has a positive impact on the quality of the egg. A chicken who roams on grass is most likely eating bugs also and if its part of a herd rotation, they are probably eating steer/animal manure.. Both increase the fat nutritional content in a positive way. Chickens are also not vegetarian.. They are carniverous and that greatly increases an egg's nutritional content.

Dont confuse FREE RANGE with cage free or organic. Cage free and organic are a waste of money. Thats all verbage and trickery. True free range eggs are chickens that roam around freely and eat whatever they want. The best way is to find a local farmer. Also you can contact your local 4h club and find kids that raise chickens and eggs for their 4h competitions.

I would not label all of them a waste.. It all boils down to the farm.. You really have to know whats going on.. That is why local farms are the best.. You can really find out how the chicken is raised.. The true test of an egg can be done in your home.. I used to get eggs from a local convenient store.. When i cracked the egg open, the yolk was a light yellow, almost see thru.. If i cracked the egg into a pot of boiling water, the white would scatter everywhere.. Then i started getting my eggs from a local dealer at wholefoods.. Huge difference is yolk color and firmness of egg.. Now i get my eggs from a local farm.. They are almost an orange color and i know the chicken live an optimal life.. And the farmer does not spray the eggs with any harsh chemicals to wash them.. Remember that an eggs shell is like human skin.. Very permiable..

Living outside means they are stress free and get plenty of sunshine.. That has a positive impact on the quality of the egg. A chicken who roams on grass is most likely eating bugs also and if its part of a herd rotation, they are probably eating steer/animal manure.. Both increase the fat nutritional content in a positive way. Chickens are also not vegetarian.. They are carniverous and that greatly increases an egg's nutritional content.

unless your getting your eggs from a local smaller farm then the chances of the chickens just roaming around an open field are slim to none , trying to keep 5-50 thousand chickens out side and not lose alot of them to pedation and the elements would be very hard. I've seen some farms (smaller local)that keep their birds inside their whole life using UV lamps to simulate sunlight and provide heat , their birds are fed pellets that are made from both animal protein and vegitables trying to simulate natural grazing

Also , chickens are not carnivors nor are they herbivors (vegitarian) , their are omnivors , just like humans , they eat grass , seeds , bugs , dead animimals and just about anything else they come accross including each other if one is found week or sick , the rest will gang up on it and kill it and eat some.

Like "kscowboy" stated fin a local farmer or 4H club and buy from them , some agricultural science classes will raise animals for sale to fund porjects and as projects

Dont confuse FREE RANGE with cage free or organic. Cage free and organic are a waste of money.

I have read that they can let them out of the cage for a couple minutes a day and still call them "free range."

so "organic" eggs are no better? The article says no hormones, antibiotics, etc, i'm more concerned with that vs. the free roaming aspect since where i live i do not have access to local farms. I looked into having my own chickens but was unable to get the necessary permits, and even so couldn't have nearly enough birds(would need 16 at least)

my egg bills are nutz, even at costco.

Last edited:
Do you have kroger grocery stores? If so you can but Christophers eggs there. They are the closest thing to farm eggs you can find. They have 660 mg of omega 3's. Google Christophers eggs and see if they supply to stores around you.

Not unless you can see with your own eyes chickens running around someone's property doing what chickens do.

The USDA are the last people I would trust with food labeling.

Do you have kroger grocery stores? If so you can but Christophers eggs there. They are the closest thing to farm eggs you can find. They have 660 mg of omega 3's. Google Christophers eggs and see if they supply to stores around you.

Nothing here unfortunately, they do have fresh amazing eggs at the Japanese markets but it's way too pricey. Costco is around 2.50 a doz for the organics, and i go thru a doz every day

lol eggs?

as a old chicken farmer,yes u can taste th free ranges eggs they hv ther own taste.second ther fresh so get ur eggs and shake em should be very little shaking em.the older a egg is the more air that it has,i dont care wht egg tht u have if it has a lot of air throw it ,it to old
most egg u can keep em at room temp for two weeks and still b gd and fresh.if u want gd eggs try for th fresh ones.and u dont want eggs from stessed out hens been proven ther not gd for ya like th one tht hv no light so they can lay two eggs fer day not gd for th hen and th eggs turn out lacking dont eat em unhealthy hen unhealthy egg trust me on this i raised em for too long and hv been in th big hen house,s funny when th ower wont even eat ther own eggs,do i need to say more.check th air in ur eggs,less hen in th yard th better th eggs so small farm ect r ur best best.u cant alway check ther living envirment so stick with th air in th eggs.ther aklso allowed to recycle ther egg nonstop meaning tht u can get a egg tht over a yr old it happen more thn u think,u knw th game thn less money u put into it th more u get later,but who pay th prices?????? be smart be safe

Wow! That was fun to read. :yeahthat:

as a old chicken farmer,yes u can taste th free ranges eggs they hv ther own taste.second ther fresh so get ur eggs and shake em should be very little shaking em.the older a egg is the more air that it has,i dont care wht egg tht u have if it has a lot of air throw it ,it to old
most egg u can keep em at room temp for two weeks and still b gd and fresh.if u want gd eggs try for th fresh ones.and u dont want eggs from stessed out hens been proven ther not gd for ya like th one tht hv no light so they can lay two eggs fer day not gd for th hen and th eggs turn out lacking dont eat em unhealthy hen unhealthy egg trust me on this i raised em for too long and hv been in th big hen house,s funny when th ower wont even eat ther own eggs,do i need to say more.check th air in ur eggs,less hen in th yard th better th eggs so small farm ect r ur best best.u cant alway check ther living envirment so stick with th air in th eggs.ther aklso allowed to recycle ther egg nonstop meaning tht u can get a egg tht over a yr old it happen more thn u think,u knw th game thn less money u put into it th more u get later,but who pay th prices?????? be smart be safe
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???? I cant even understand a word of it.:confused:

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???? I cant even understand a word of it.:confused:

He is saying you can tell the freshness of an egg by shaking and telling the amount of air inside the egg.. First i ever heard.. The less air the fresher..

Yep, or you could use the water test. Put an egg in a large bowl of cool water and if it floats it's not fresh. I just cook them if they float, never had any problems.

I found one brand at Whole Foods that is truly free range, and one of them had them and the other I went to did not. Vital Farms.

Am still looking for a local farmer, but until then, the Vital Farms eggs will suffice.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear