YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are metric plates heavier? Question to the well traveled guys.

ALLEX

Banned
So, my nephew just spent one year in the US studying and blah blah blah... He lifts...

So, there's this thing I always found a little weird and have never really asked anyone because maybe it's just in my mind.

After asking about the weather, girls and all the usual BS, I asked him if he found American 45 plates to be lighter than our 20kg plates. He said "yeah, that's weird isn't it?"

Every 20 I've ever touched felt a bit heavier than your average American 45.

So, what gives?

Hands on only. If you've not lifted in both Imperial and Metric gyms, no calling me nuts, please.

Thanks.

Of course they are no different.

45s actually should be just a tad heavier than 20s.

Perhaps Brazilian plates aren't that accurate.

In which country have you trained metric?

1kg = 2.2lbs. 20x2.2=44

Yeah, I know.

I think the German kg plates are always off a bit. German ironworkers like to drink a lot of beer....

Yeah the Germans are notorious for their lack of precision

Lazy people in such a sloppy country... wonder what it would be like US sales wise if Porsche, Audi, Mercedes Benz and BMW paid a little more attention to their quality standards... :(

Back on topic, I have to agree with your nephew, ALLEX... each time I went to the US, I felt much stronger than home... 45lbs instead of my usual 20kg's, but more reps... go figure... maybe training in another atmosphere made me more motivated... I don't know... :confused:

So, my nephew just spent one year in the US studying and blah blah blah... He lifts...
After asking about the weather, girls and all the usual BS

:D

Disillusioned anyone? :p;)

Back on topic, I have to agree with your nephew, ALLEX... each time I went to the US, I felt much stronger than home... 45lbs instead of my usual 20kg's, but more reps... go figure... maybe training in another atmosphere made me more motivated... I don't know... :confused:

I don't exactly remember doing more reps. What's in my memory is easily manipulating the plates around or carrying two at a time was fairly easy, while here carrying a couple of 20s feels like a farmer's walk.

25s are very common here as well.

They were definitely heavier in the 80s

I thought weights were lighter in the 80's. But then again I used to smoke crack for my pre-workout pick me up.....

Allex,

I borrowed our calibrated scale from work and tested all of my home plates. I was very surprised to see how great the fluctuations were. Most were underweight but some were over weight.

I've heard that higher quality York type plates are accurate, but if your gym just has a collection of lower quality plates, you can see how you might feel "very strong" today or very weak today depending on which 45's AND WHICH BAR you use. I have an "oly" bar that literally weighs 40 lbs!!! I always use a couple of 2.5's on the inside to account for it.

Due to some OCD tendencies;) I kept only the true or heavier plates and then used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to make all of my plates read true.

45s actually should be just a tad heavier than 20s.

Perhaps Brazilian plates aren't that accurate.

In which country have you trained metric?

Yes, I know. 44.4lb plates vs 45lb plates.

I've used metric in a number of different countries.

Sometimes, the 45lb plates can be slightly thicker than the metric, probably giving the impression that the weights are different, but they in fact are the same.

I find cheap plates don't weigh what they say. Quality control is not as good. And cheaper steel can be used etc.

Different parts of the world have different gravity fields so 45lbs in USA will weigh less that 45lbs in Europe even thought their mass is the same :rolleyes:

I have trained in Asia, Europe, and the U.S and haven't noticed a difference in the weights feel lighter or heavy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity