over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are we overthinking it ?

meterman5

Registered
Discussing with a buddy of mine yesterday about fitness/bodybuilding. He is 10 years younger than me so I was giving him the rundown of how and what I learned and what I think of it now. Back in the mid 90's when I started supplements were hot, it was so critical timing of PW shake, and workouts were planned to the last rep. Now it seems that even pros are not consuming "secret" shakes after their workout just whole food. Back in pumping iron those guys trained hard and ate "clean" for the most part but they did not have access to things we do and they looked IMO better than people today. Todays guys I give all the respect in the world becaue they are a lot bigger and more cut than ever. I like the old school look myself. I told my buddy. Work hard, eat clean, and live a healthy lifestyle as best you can and you will look better than 90% of the guys out there. I just feel that the same basic things that worked since the beginning are true today. There are so many fad fitness systems but it boils down to the basics. I am all for advancement but it seems that guys are looking for magic stacks to be on as well. I could be getting old I just feel people overthink things a bit and the basics still work.

I agree. KISS allways works. The difference from then though is also that they got everything straight from the doc or pharmacy. I doubt there was much fakes going around then at all. Nowadays we have underdosed, bunk, contaminated stuff everywhere in the world and that has definityely got something to do with it too. Food quality too is not the same as then.

I agree with you 100%. Im 45 back in the mid 80's dam near the whole gym was on gear. The juice doctor would come in every sunday with his duffle bag and within a half hour it was empty and he was out the door. Everything was right from the pharmacy and guys looked great. There were no fancy supplements,rtd's. Guys trained hard 6days awk,ate the best they could maybe took a animal pack.Today it seems to have turned into a science project.

I agree with you 100%. Im 45 back in the mid 80's dam near the whole gym was on gear. The juice doctor would come in every sunday with his duffle bag and within a half hour it was empty and he was out the door. Everything was right from the pharmacy and guys looked great. There were no fancy supplements,rtd's. Guys trained hard 6days awk,ate the best they could maybe took a animal pack.Today it seems to have turned into a science project.

And the guys today are bigger and leaner than those guys...because of the "science project"...B.B.ing is very much a science project of sorts.

And the guys today are bigger and leaner than those guys...because of the "science project"...B.B.ing is very much a science project of sorts.

Science will never replace hard work, consistency, and discipline over the long haul. I see too many internet scientists who post a lot of studies (often sponsored by someone who is selling something) Modern BB science is sort of like a supplement itself... it can help you, but if you don't work hard and keep at it, it's worthless. What you know will never take the place of what you do.

Discussing with a buddy of mine yesterday about fitness/bodybuilding. He is 10 years younger than me so I was giving him the rundown of how and what I learned and what I think of it now. Back in the mid 90's when I started supplements were hot, it was so critical timing of PW shake, and workouts were planned to the last rep. Now it seems that even pros are not consuming "secret" shakes after their workout just whole food. Back in pumping iron those guys trained hard and ate "clean" for the most part but they did not have access to things we do and they looked IMO better than people today. Todays guys I give all the respect in the world becaue they are a lot bigger and more cut than ever. I like the old school look myself. I told my buddy. Work hard, eat clean, and live a healthy lifestyle as best you can and you will look better than 90% of the guys out there. I just feel that the same basic things that worked since the beginning are true today. There are so many fad fitness systems but it boils down to the basics. I am all for advancement but it seems that guys are looking for magic stacks to be on as well. I could be getting old I just feel people overthink things a bit and the basics still work.

The best looking bodies were build on most simple things. eat clean, train hard and do hormones and muscle will come.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9GKTTDwnQ4&feature=player_embedded]1992 Olympia Behind the Scenes - YouTube[/ame]

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear