over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are You a HEALTHY Bodybuilder?

10) B6: 300mg in the AM- lowers homocysteine levels which higher levels have been significantly correlated with heart disease (note- there is some disagreement if lowering homocysteine levels via B6 supplementation decreases heart disease... but it's very cheap, so why not? :))

I like your post, bar this part.

High levels of Vit B6 have been linked to CNS damage.

It will also reduce AR gene transcription, making your cycle (if your on cycle) less effective.

Thats why when I supplement Vit B6, or have clients on it, I stay around 50-100mg/ED (100mg/ED max). It good for controlling prolactin and progesterone too.

Well

It will also reduce AR gene transcription, making your cycle (if your on cycle) less effective.

Thats why when I supplement Vit B6, or have clients on it, I stay around 50-100mg/ED (100mg/ED max). It good for controlling prolactin and progesterone too.

Significantly?

Significantly?

I dont know how significant.. I do know however that certain aas ie. tren for example effect your CNS ina way that very few BB see.. However many powerlifters/stronmen see it.. It makes your muscles fire less effectively this is were nuetropics come into play!! The use of nuetropics cqan and will cause your muscles not only to fire in new ways but teach them to learn the lift or event more effective.. Sort of like having super muscle memory... Not much as far as a performance enhancer for strength but when you miss a groove on a lift or lose an event by a tenth of a second your CNS may have been to blame..

So much to learn...........so much to teach........thats why my training takes over 1 year to grasp it all.........the poster was correct, try adding KIM -CHI to your daily diet..........brocco sprouts alsol........

Yes.. Kimchi, sauerkraut, and fermented pickles are my favorite.. NOTE: these items are properly fermented with grass fed whey and/or sea salt..

Very great information here. This is why I continue to come to this board...always alot of very useful information from alot of educated people. My health has been something that was ALWAYS TOP of the list. If you are willing to take certain risks-----you should be willing to minimize the risks as much as possible by staying on top of your bloodwork. Thanks for the information Myosin. Mental1

Does Kim - Chi have a lot of sodium in it?

havent read the whole thread, but will and my answer is:
i dont think there is such thing as a "healthy bodybuilder"
just my 2 cents.
-JS

A little higher maybe....

Hey Swifto- you could be right, but from my research B6 has those issues more so around 500-600mg.
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004h.html

Last edited:
Understood...

havent read the whole thread, but will and my answer is:
i dont think there is such thing as a "healthy bodybuilder"
just my 2 cents.
-JS

haha, I get the "jist" of what ur trying to say JS. What we do and the amount of mass we do carry or try to carry certainly is not "normal" per se. That's KIND-OF why I shared these things as well... what are the things that can keep us healthy.

I think it also depends on how far you want to carry this philosophy- you could almost say no one is really "healthy"... we're all dying in some degree or another. But again, I get ur "jist" :)

haha, I get the "jist" of what ur trying to say JS. What we do and the amount of mass we do carry or try to carry certainly is not "normal" per se. That's KIND-OF why I shared these things as well... what are the things that can keep us healthy.

I think it also depends on how far you want to carry this philosophy- you could almost say no one is really "healthy"... we're all dying in some degree or another. But again, I get ur "jist" :)

Sometimes its more a question of how unhealthy do we allow ourselves to become. What degree of unhealthiness.

I do know however that certain aas ie. tren for example effect your CNS ina way that very few BB see.. However many powerlifters/stronmen see it.. It makes your muscles fire less effectively this is were nuetropics come into play!!

Are you saying trenbolone affects your nervous system negatively as far as lifting max poundages is concerned? I don't know man, I think it's the opposite.

while nothing new still good and sound addition for the board

One "source"....

while nothing new still good and sound addition for the board

That's another reason I kind of wanted to do this thread NM... ur right, lots of the info can be found sporadically through the website, but I wanted to have one succinct/dedicated thread to just those things and how they all pull together in one big picture.

True, true...

Sometimes its more a question of how unhealthy do we allow ourselves to become. What degree of unhealthiness.

Yes, I get ur point too, Mal, thanks. Very true.

Are you saying trenbolone affects your nervous system negatively as far as lifting max poundages is concerned? I don't know man, I think it's the opposite.

No not at all!! In fact makes most people a lot stronger.. It does though make your muscles fire differently... Not always as effective.. But it does effect it to a degree... I have read many things about it and know people who it has effected.. Ill have to find the articles i have read..

The past few weeks there has been a lot of discussion on various health related issues like heart-attacks, health in general, etc. It got me to start wondering how "healthy" some of us here are. I know I pretty much fooled myself that I was a fairly healthy bodybuilder when I would only drink protein drinks, take a multi-vitamin and EVOO, but in reality, I was missing out on a lot of supplements and foods and micro-nutrients for a healthier "inside".

Here's the thing about health.... when it finally goes, it's b/c of months to years of abuse/neglect. Plaque deposits don't happen overnight... arthritis doesn't "just happen"... these and other health problems are usually the resultant accumulation of poor diet, nutrients, and supplementation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything about training hard or using "super supplements"... I'm all for going hardcore in the weights and REASONABLE (somewhat relative term I know) and INTELLIGENT use of any other ancillaries. But with those- a healthy diet and proper supplementation will take you a long way into a healthier older life. What you do in your 20's can/will affect your 30's... your 30's into your 40's, etc. All of us are going to die, plain and simple... BUT- I want to die "healthy" and not stuck in a wheelchair, etc.

B/c of all that mentioned above is why I wanted to share some of the things I take and do now that aren't just "bodybuilding" related/specific (creatine, etc.) but also geared toward, well, health. I suppose that's the "mother-hen" Nurse side of me :).

As mentioned several times in past threads, I TRY to always go for "the most bang for my buck". There are plenty of "good" foods and supplements one can take, BUT, I try to ask what supplements (and foods) are really going to deliver the MOST benefits (and have science behind them). I also try to frame this question against the two key factors/culprits/common denominators in disease and aging that I've pointed out before... free radicals and inflammation.

This list is pretty much only for longevity/health and does not include compounds/supp's for BB (although some do "cross-over")...

1) Grean tea: 2 packs, one to two times a day- for free radicals

2) Trader Joe's "Green" powdered drink: once a day (keeps body alkaline)

3) ALA: 900-1200 mg, per day- EXCELLENT anti-oxidant that is BOTH lipid and water soluble (most AO's are "specific" in that they are either water OR lipid soluble- this crosses both). Also great for blood sugar regulation.

4) DHEA- 25mg, BID to maintain the "back-pathway" (ala John Crisler) of hormone synthesis, particularly if on super supplements.

5) Vitamin D3: 8000iu- raise HDL levels and healthy colon

6) NOW multivitamin

7) Fish oil: 10 grams/day- mostly for inflammation

8) Niacin: 1 gram, REGULAR niacin- raise HDL levels (note- non-flush DOES NOT raise HDL levels and is hepatotoxic)

9) Synthergine- 1.5 mL's BID. 'nuff said.

10) B6: 300mg in the AM- lowers homocysteine levels which higher levels have been significantly correlated with heart disease (note- there is some disagreement if lowering homocysteine levels via B6 supplementation decreases heart disease... but it's very cheap, so why not? :))

11) Baby aspirin: to thin the blood by decreasing platelet aggregation.

12) Ubiquinol: 100-200mg/day... support cardiac function (highly suggested for those over 40 and/or those on super supp's). I'm not entirely convinced that ubiquinol is all that superior to "regular" CoQ10. C10 becomes much more bio-available when taken with fat. But, for a few dollars more, I'll go with the ubiquinol for awhile.

What I COULD take, but don't: supp's for prostrate health... only b/c I take aromasin and so many other anti-inflammatories. The thought now for prostrate hypertrophy/plasia/cancer is that it's the estrogen and inflammation that is the cause of it's problems. I may eventually throw in some kind of prostrate "formula" later (SPB, pumpkin seed, etc.).

Foods-
1) I pretty much use only coconut oil for all my cooking or to fulfill my macro needs with my LBA's. Look this stuff up... it's AMAZING. In short- a saturated fat that will lower cholesterol. I'm not doing it justice here.

2) Mentioned in a previous post- the only carbs I get now are from fruits, and from those, pretty much only pineapple (great for inflammation) and blueberries and prunes (two of the highest in anti-oxidants).

3) 1 TBSP cocoa powder (dark or regular, no sugar) to my LBA's or coffee one to two times a day... vasodilator (increases NO), POTENT anti-oxidants (better than green tea actually), helps lower LDL levels

4) 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon powder to my LBA's or coffee one to two times a day- regulates blood sugar, raises HDL levels.

Lifestyle-
1) Here is what may seem like a funny one at first... Brush and floss twice a day- sounds silly right?... here's the thing- I bet most here only brush their teeth in the morning and rarely twice a day (particularly the guys- unless going out to some event/date/etc). It's like this though- diseased/unhealthy gums are significantly correlated with heart disease... it's the inflammation relationship.

2) Sleep... I wish I could say I get 7-8 hours sleep a night... but I SO suck at this one. Besides our usual concern about sleep and muscle recuperation, proper sleep really is one of the best things you can do for mental and physiologic health.

I mentioned before I really "kicked up" my dedication and seriousness about getting lean since January, but also for my health. I have to say, besides looking and feeling better... I even look several years younger!

You say you use coconut oil but Ive always been taught that is very bad for cooking. Please check this out.

Which cooking oil is the best?

Hey Wolf - how have you been brother. Hey please don't take this the wrong way, but that link has some of the worst information and advice I have EVER seen. Horrible. It advises to cook with flax seed oil..are you kidding me - whoever write that should be shot..that is horrible advice. Polys are extremely unstable under any heat...corn oil....wow....unbelievably bad ...

Butter and coconut bad..HAHAA..JOKE...they are the most stable under heat and have tremendous health benefits..

Wolf, this was not directed at you my friend...it just pisses me off to see HORRIBLE advice posted by whoever wrote that...

Guys, not all studies are good...

JM

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member