over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are you getting enough fiber?

inoverdrive

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
We always talk about protein and carbs but you never hear about fiber. It is always been something that helped me thin out and help me feel better. Here is some good info to read.

How Important is Fiber for Bodybuilding?

by David Crisafi

Bodybuilders are constantly talking about the amount of protein they should be consuming or what new supplement is on the market. It seems fiber is becoming non-existent though, especially with the low carb craze happening in America right now. However, it is extremely dangerous to neglect fiber, especially for bodybuilders Colon cancer, heart disease, constipation, and carrying parasites are just a few of the dangers of neglecting fiber.

There are 2 types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fibers offer the real heart disease benefit. This type of fiber has been shown to reduce blood cholesterol levels. Soluble fiber food sources include oats, barley, beans, lentils, peas, nuts, seeds, apples and other types of fruits and vegetables. Experts believe the soluble fiber called beta glucan helps lower blood cholesterol by binding to some of the cholesterol found in the digestive tract. It traps the cholesterol and is eliminated from the body naturally.

Insoluble fiber, also known as “roughage,” is found in whole grains, vegetables, wheat bran, nuts, and beans. Insoluble fiber is not absorbed by the body. Its health benefits include aiding digestion and promoting regularity by adding “bulk”. Bulk keeps other foods moving through the digestive tract.

A normal person should consume 25-30 grams of fiber per day. On average only half that amount is consumed. A person with a healthy colon should have two to three bowel movements per day. Bodybuilders should eat anywhere from 40-60 grams of fiber per day, depending on weight and gender. Bodybuilders regularly consume 2-3 times the normal amount of protein and their bodies need a lot more “roughage” to process this increased consumption.

Some bodybuilding benefits from fiber are:

Improved Absorption - Consuming fiber is an important part of creating an anabolic environment in the body. Fiber enhances nutrient absorption along the intestinal walls by helping to keep the walls free of undigested food. That leads to better and more efficient growth.

Effect on Carb Digestion - Yams, red potatoes, whole-grain bread and oatmeal are among the best slow-burning energy foods. Not only do they provide glucose, the energy source muscles need to work and grow, but they are more slowly digested than most carb sources. Their high fiber content increases the duration of digestion of carbohydrates. “Fuel” lasts longer when carbohydrates entry into the blood is slowed. This helps increase mentally alertness--an important component that contributes to increased training intensity. Slowing of digestion also exerts a beneficial effect on body composition. When carbohydrates break down slowly--the result of eating fiber at meals--the body tends to store more of the carbohydrates as muscle glycogen rather than as body fat.

Helps Process Dietary Fats - Many bodybuilders focus on the benefits of dietary fat. However, a high-fat diet is not as anabolic or conducive to gains in mass as a lower-fat and higher-carbohydrate diet. Saturated fat, in particular, can contribute to poor heart health and increase the storage of body fat. Fiber binds with some of the dietary fat in meals and pulls it through the body.

Increases Insulin Sensitivity - When carbohydrates are consumed, the body releases insulin, a strong anabolic hormone. Insulin drives carbohydrates and protein into the muscles, resulting in greater recovery and growth. A potential limiting factor is something called insulin sensitivity. Muscles have receptors for insulin located on their outer edges. The greater the receptor affinity, or attraction, the better insulin can drive carbohydrates and protein into the muscles. Regular training, high levels of muscle mass and low levels of body fat enhance this attraction. Fiber, especially the soluble kind, also plays a role. Foods such as oatmeal, applesauce, peas, pears and black beans offer soluble fiber, which enhances the attraction and helps improve insulin sensitivity.

Gives a Harder Appearance- Here’s some anecdotal evidence--the stuff bodybuilders lay claim to that’s later affirmed by science: There is scientific confirmation that some fiber-rich vegetables, such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, contain compounds called indoles. Indoles can lead to slightly lower levels of estrogen in males, which, in turn, leads to less water retention and ever-so-slightly higher levels of testosterone. That can help a bodybuilder look harder when dieting.

Meal timing is crucial for a bodybuilder, and the same is true for fiber intake. Fiber intake should be limited after workouts. The goal of post workout meals is to speed up the digestion--to get glucose from carbohydrates into the blood as fast as possible to stimulate muscle recovery and growth. Having fiber in a post training meal slows digestion. Fiber should be saved for all the other meals, including late-night snacks, which should be high in protein and have few carbs, if any.

People concentrate on getting bigger and/or leaner, but sometimes they lose site of the importance of their health. Individuals should consume plenty of fruits, vegetables, and fibrous starchy carbs along with their protein.

The accompanying table shows some high fiber foods that can be used to help boost fiber intake.

Food Item
Fiber (in grams)
Serving Size

Vegetables

Beans
1/2 cup

Broccoli
1/2 cup

Corn on the Cob
1 ear

Lettuce
1 cup

Spinach
1 cup

Legumes

Beans (Lima, Kidney, Baked)
1/2 cup

Refried Beans
1 cup

Lentils
1 cup

Fruit

Apple (with peel)
1 medium

Banana
1 medium

Grapefruit (fresh)
1/2 medium

Orange (fresh)
1 medium

Peach (fresh)
1 medium

Strawberries
1 cup

Kiwi
1 medium

Pear
1 medium

Cereal

Fiber One
1 cup

100% Bran
1 cup

All-Bran
1 cup

Grains/Breads

Whole Wheat Bread
1 slice

Whole Oats
1/2 cup

Yam
1 medium

Snacks

Popcorn (air popped)
3.5 cups

Sunflower Seeds

Crushed Flax Seed

Great post my brother! Very important and often overlooked!

I add crushed flax seed to my protein shakes each day to get the fiber needed and it's also a great source of omega 3!! And i was watching Oprah the other day (well, i was flicking through the channels and happened on it!) and Dr. Oz was telling the men how it would be a great added supp to the daily diet...

Benefits of Flax seed
(HealthCastle.com) Its high content of alpha linolenic acids has made the ancient flax seed become our modern miracle food. Alpha linolenic acid is a type of plant-derived omega 3 fatty acid, similar to those found in fish such as salmon. Benefits of flax seed as shown in many studies include lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the Bad cholesterol) levels. Other benefits show that flax seed may also help lower blood triglyceride and blood pressure. It may also keep platelets from becoming sticky therefore reducing the risk of a heart attack.

Other Benefits of Flax seed
Aside from alpha linolenic acid, flax seed is rich in lignan. Lignan is a type phytoestrogen (antioxidant) and also provides fiber. Researches reveal that lignan in flax seed shows a lot of promise in fighting disease -- including a possible role in cancer prevention especially breast cancer. It is thought that lignan metabolites can bind to estrogen receptors, hence inhibiting the onset of estrogen-stimulated breast cancer.

Recent studies also showed positive benefits of flax seed oil in IBD (Crohn's Disease and Colitis). Flax seed oil seems to be able to heal the inner lining of the inflamed intestines.

Moderately include flax seed in your diet. Indeed, a lot of food products contain flax seed such as bread, cereal and bakery goods. Bakers may use flax seed flour or include flax seed in baking.

Bump... eat non-processed whole foods! :)

It is thought that lignan metabolites can bind to estrogen receptors, hence inhibiting the onset of estrogen-stimulated breast cancer.

hmmm... do you guys know if this would have any significance in the armotization and build up of gyno when on aas?

hmmm... do you guys know if this would have any significance in the armotization and build up of gyno when on aas?

Bump, id like to know the answer also, hopefully the mods can chime in.

I think any bodybuilder that eats healthy (whole grain carbs/fruits/veggies) gets enough fiber, especially when bulking. I got at least 19 grams in just my breakfast alone (5 pieces of whole grain french toast and a grapefruit).

I started taking fiber supps about a year ago. I certainly have many days where I eat enough without them but I also have many low carb/high protein periods where I get very little and this should help cover me. I am older and worry about colon cancer, etc, more than I did when I was bulletproof Superman.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131