over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Arm Wrestling training

topfuel

Registered
So I have been a bodybuilder and powerlifter for the past 40 years. I just picked up Arm Wrestling for fun and boy am I sore! We workout once a week but it takes that long just to get over the soreness of pulling for two hours. Does anyone have or know a good way to incorporate a different style of training to help with this sport?
Thank you in advance

So I have been a bodybuilder and powerlifter for the past 40 years. I just picked up Arm Wrestling for fun and boy am I sore! We workout once a week but it takes that long just to get over the soreness of pulling for two hours. Does anyone have or know a good way to incorporate a different style of training to help with this sport?
Thank you in advance

All I know is that the guy I used to know competed a lot and was fairly successful in the sport. He was always doing heavy hammer curls and wrist curls at the gym. Lots of sets.

I recently got interested in arm wresting and started to research training methods.

Funny thing is that I actually sat at the bar with Cobra Rhodes years ago not realizing a was sitting next to a world champ.:banghead:

Here's a few videos I found;

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNkSskZwUM"]Dumbell + barbell favorite lifts for armwrestling - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSF38rofn_o"]Devon Larratt comes to Oregon - YouTube[/ame]

Crazy, the first video shows Devon Larratt's home set up - complete with plastic weights and improvised equipment from the junk yard but the guy is a total beast and nice guy. I stopped feeling bad about my home gym after watching this.

Good luck!

I am an armwrestler. I just started about 2 years ago. I am very fortunate to train with the top guys in the world--Team Relentless. This group of people includes Dave Chafee (currently the #1 ranked armwrestler in the world), Travis Bagent (2016 overall WAL champ), Bart Wood (WAL's top Referee), James Wagner (2nd place in the world in his weight class in 2010), and a bunch of other pros, various state champs, etc.

When it comes to training, you need to prioritize arm wrestling training over bodybuilding and powerliting training, if you want to maximize your progress. The most important strengths to develop are your back-pressure (which is essentially curling strength, particularly with a hammer grip), cupping strength (wrist curling), pronation strength (twisting the wrist inward), supination strength (twisting the wrist outward), rising strength (pulling the wrist upward in a hammer position), and finger strength.

Secondary strength development would include back strength (pulling the elbows in toward your body). This is secondary to biceps strength because the biceps are always the weak link when compared to the back. You need core strength--particularly the obliques, as most of the pressure in an armwrestling match comes from the side--a type of twisting resistance. You need a particular type of chest strength in order to keep the elbow tight aginst the body, so it does not get pulled out to the side. This means your chest needs to be strong in the fully contracted position--with the elbowas pulled all the way in. Imagine completing a rep on the peck deck machine in the fully contracted position, with your elbows directly in front of your body. This is the position you need to be strong in in order to hold your elbow stable during a match, so your opponent doesn't pull your elbow away from your body.

Last edited:
Just turn your hat around backwards

Attachments

• 04DEA518-AD0E-4692-8AF5-E3A310F58BBE.jpeg
    04DEA518-AD0E-4692-8AF5-E3A310F58BBE.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 81
I recently got interested in arm wresting and started to research training methods.

Funny thing is that I actually sat at the bar with Cobra Rhodes years ago not realizing a was sitting next to a world champ.:banghead:

Here's a few videos I found;

Dumbell + barbell favorite lifts for armwrestling - YouTube

Devon Larratt comes to Oregon - YouTube

Crazy, the first video shows Devon Larratt's home set up - complete with plastic weights and improvised equipment from the junk yard but the guy is a total beast and nice guy. I stopped feeling bad about my home gym after watching this.

Good luck!

i know a sponsor here is is proudly represented on some of these pro stages...:eek::lightbulb::star-w:rs

the show "game of arms" on amc or whatever channel. those guys are amazing. dudes well over 200 pounds holding themselves up on a 2 inch ledge with their fingertips. the one dude rolled up a frying pan with his bare hands.
if anyone here can roll up a fuckin frying pan with your bare hands, i wanna see the video.
i tried lookin up how they do workouts for that kinda arm/hand strength but didnt find much.

I am an armwrestler. I just started about 2 years ago. I am very fortunate to train with the top guys in the world--Team Relentless. This group of people includes Dave Chafee (currently the #1 ranked armwrestler in the world), Travis Bagent (2016 overall WAL champ), Bart Wood (WAL's top Referee), James Wagner (2nd place in the world in his weight class in 2010), and a bunch of other pros, various state champs, etc.

When it comes to training, you need to prioritize arm wrestling training over bodybuilding and powerliting training, if you want to maximize your progress. The most important strengths to develop are your back-pressure (which is essentially curling strength, particularly with a hammer grip), cupping strength (wrist curling), pronation strength (twisting the wrist inward), supination strength (twisting the wrist outward), rising strength (pulling the wrist upward in a hammer position), and finger strength.

Secondary strength development would include back strength (pulling the elbows in toward your body). This is secondary to biceps strength because the biceps are always the weak link when compared to the back. You need core strength--particularly the obliques, as most of the pressure in an armwrestling match comes from the side--a type of twisting resistance. You need a particular type of chest strength in order to keep the elbow tight aginst the body, so it does not get pulled out to the side. This means your chest needs to be strong in the fully contracted position--with the elbowas pulled all the way in. Imagine completing a rep on the peck deck machine in the fully contracted position, with your elbows directly in front of your body. This is the position you need to be strong in in order to hold your elbow stable during a match, so your opponent doesn't pull your elbow away from your body.
So do you do curls more than once or twice a week like bodybuilding or do you do more? I am just trying to figure out if the training is way different from what I have been doing. Thank you in advance

I watched some guys in my local area that are professional or that is what they told me haha. I watched maybe 10 different matches and they were pretty intense. I have not interest in it but was cool to watch

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear