over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Arthur Jones and his views

he had one of the most unique trap machines i've ever seen. It looked like the user is getting a manicure. Never been copied either. Could probably double as a Donkey Calf Raise (sadly another machine you'll never see in newer gyms).

I think our high school gym had that but I didn't know what it was,lol. Wish I had used it.

. . . When Casey trained again for competition, for the 1978 NABBA MR. Universe
in London where he was defeated by David Johns, he still trained total body 3 days
a week but I have no clue what his workout routine was.

I tell a lie :( just located it :) Please see attched.

Attachments

• Casey_Mr_U_workout.pdf
    796.8 KB · Views: 46
Good video of Dick Butkus when working with Nautilus Video is about negative training.

That video has an interview with Bill Bradford at the end too, talking about his negative work training.

This is some really good stuff. Thank you for sharing!

I think one thing that's apparent like you mentioned was Casey's propensity for putting on muscle. Even in those pictures where he is young, he has a level of thickness you don't see in guys his age.

Was Arthur's role with these athletes strictly training? Or did he advise on diet, "supplements" as well?

Yes, strictly training when he had the time. Which was rare.

Maybe Ellington Darden did the diet stuff. He did his Ph. D. on protein synthesis I think
I remember him saying or writing somewhere that your body used only maintenance
levels and very little over it when weight training and only in proportion to your body
weight and any more was wasted at best, made you fat (yes you can get fat on too
much protein).) Again, I don't don't know if Ell advised or supervised.

No supplement advise in the 'normal' use of the word. I know Arthur tried them early in
his weight training days; buttermilk to start, then his own concoction (I will have to dig
the formula) which used liver and raw eggs and as if you can imagine, apparently awful
tasting and smelling rendering it unusable. See attached for his exact opinions on diet.

ANd essentially, from what I remember, and we rarely talked about bodybuilding, that
these supplements were supposed to be just that. A supplement. And used very sparingly,
if at all . . maybe a multivitamin every other day.

The body he believed was not designed or even capable of fully utilizing theses high
concentrations of protein (for instance) and would of course, if not fully utilized,
ultimately just make you fat and place an unnecessary burden on your body, potentially
interfering with the growth / muscle you are so desperately gain. Never heard him
talk or write mention it with the exception that as long as you made a effort to eat
a well balanced diet you were good to go. He used to say that vitamin deficiencies
were a thing of the past the USA with so many processed foods being vitamin enriched
helping to prevent disease.

But Arthur was not stranger to diet. For many many years, his life, or livelihood ($$)
depended upon knowing about it . . . keeping the wild animals alive in captivity,
or raising them from infancy, he had to know what their dietary needs were or he
had sick animals to deliver to customers and that the stress of transportation could
potentially kill them. And you don't stay in his business with dead animals.

And ped's were a certain no no. If he ever caught his children using any drugs, well
you wold have to know where to dig.

He was aware of Sergio being on 'steroids' when he was in Lake Helen training him but
was smart enough to know that if Sergio he got off them he would lose some size and
it would take time to put it back on and at that point in time he could not afford to do
so. Casey. . . know nothing about.

See attached for more info, in his words . . .

Attachments

• aj_diet.pdf
    405.5 KB · Views: 33
Till date still very impressed with these pics of casey. I know is muscle memory, but still impressive for 4weeks!

19.png
casey-viator-back.jpg

Man this workout seems like hell !

Big thanks to alfresco for all this information
The whole body workouts I've done recently were just one exercise for a body part, 3 sets. That workout has several exercises with 3 sets each. That would require a lot of fitness to complete! I also read where Casey didn't rest between sets at all.

I think this is really interesting article written by Arthur Jones and shows the evolution
of his training.

He did continue to train on and off, trying different modalities, all of which I will get
around to posting in due course. (This article does not mention Nautilus so it isn’t a
thinly veiled or blatant advertisement ;) )

Attachments

• Bodybuilding As I Have Seen It, As I See It Now.pdf
    427.3 KB · Views: 25
Arthur Jones putting Sergio Oliva through a leg workout.

The unnamed trainee before him was Casey Viator.

Attachments

• sergio oliva leg training The Next Step.pdf
    406.1 KB · Views: 17
I think this is really interesting article written by Arthur Jones and shows the evolution
of his training.

He did continue to train on and off, trying different modalities, all of which I will get
around to posting in due course. (This article does not mention Nautilus so it isn’t a

It's interesting to see that it took him several years (maybe even a decade plus) to realize that he wasn't recovering properly from his workouts. Goes to show the mentality, and mindset of that era.

Some of these guys were such genetic freaks that they grew with that poorly recovered environment.

of his training.

Thats exactly what I had happen to me at college. I cut down on my total sets by 1/2 and within 1 week started picking up weight and strength. It was a great feeling, and boy did I feel stupid for doing so much. I'd been stuck Iike that for almost 6 months.

Funny thing, decades later the same thing happened to me. It wasn't until I had Phil Herman's advice,where I dropped volume to about 1/ 3 or less what I had been doing in sets and dropped my steroid doses to about 1/3 ,that I started to grow again. Training frequency went up though.

I don't feel so foolish now that I know Arthur Jones had the same experience.

Some of the problems - And a few answers . . . by Arthur Jones,
published in Iron Man Magazine.

Attachments

• Some of the Problems.pdf
    301.3 KB · Views: 11
Just ran across this in my 'archives.' Thought it might be of interest to someone here.

I got this from NBC after a protracted struggle. Yes, I was that persistent. You can’t
imagine how hard it was trying to get this from a broadcast network. Now all this
stuff is available on the internet, YouTube.

It’s the transcript from a good interview with Arthur Jones on Tom Snyder's Prime
Time Sunday.

DATE: AUGUST 26, 1979 10:00 P.M. NEW YORK CITY

Attachments

• AJ, Prime Time Sunday with Tom Snyder.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
Sounds like Arthur. When I would cook breakfast for him, it was the same way.

He used to frequent the 'I Hop' a lot. Was that in Ocala or DeLand? I don't
remember but I'm thinking it must have been in DeLand because of the early
days with Nautilus.

haha awesome. He was a nice enough guy but all the waitresses said "he's a little weird". It was in Ocala, on Silver Springs Boulevard.

Just ran across this in my 'archives.' Thought it might be of interest to someone here.

I got this from NBC after a protracted struggle. Yes, I was that persistent. You can’t
imagine how hard it was trying to get this from a broadcast network. Now all this
stuff is available on the internet, YouTube.

It’s the transcript from a good interview with Arthur Jones on Tom Snyder's Prime
Time Sunday.

DATE: AUGUST 26, 1979 10:00 P.M. NEW YORK CITY
Sounds like an interesting man, speaks his mind! Very transparent, as they say these days.

I know he was against steroids, right? Did he ever drink alcohol, or was he against putting most harmful substances into the body?

haha awesome. He was a nice enough guy but all the waitresses said "he's a little weird". It was in Ocala, on Silver Springs Boulevard.

Thanks for that. Don't know your exact place but Arthur would send me out for 'supper',
every night, often along Silver Springs Boulevard. He used to live on NE 32 Place. Nice
quiet neighborhood. Nothing fancy or ostentatious like Jumbo Lair. And a lot less
maintenance ;) Have not been back since he passed. Always wondered what happened
to it. I remember one August when I went out to stay, I went out one hot afternoon,
over to Silver Springs State Park to kill some time. The parking was near empty. Oh,
my lucky day I thought. By afternoon it was sweltering. Turns out there was heat advisory,
everybody was to stay inside. At least I had the place to myself. Hottest I have ever been.

Sounds like an interesting man, speaks his mind! Very transparent, as they say these days.

I know he was against steroids, right? Did he ever drink alcohol, or was he against putting most harmful substances into the body?

Never drank that I know of. Lot's of coffee though. He did smoke but was dead set against
steroids. I won't speculate on the exact cause his opinion. His body did experience a lot of
'abuse' pre-Nautilus. And I would not say he was a 'health nut' . . . kind of ironic considering
the nature of the business he was in then.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131