over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Arthur Jones and his views

Never drank that I know of. Lot's of coffee though. He did smoke but was dead set against
steroids. I won't speculate on the exact cause his opinion. His body did experience a lot of
'abuse' pre-Nautilus. And I would not say he was a 'health nut' . . . kind of ironic considering
the nature of the business he was in then.
Was he married when you were there, or ever married? In that interview he said that every man should have more than one woman, lol.

One of the things I like about this thread is that Alfresco allows us to learn a little bit about what Arthur's personality was like. He's one of those guys I wish I could have met.

Might be a stupid question, but did Arthur Jones like music much, was he into hi-fi stereos? Seems like he might have been.

Was he married when you were there, or ever married? In that interview he said that every man should have more than one woman, lol.

Married many times. It's all covered in the literature I have sent. But if you have not
been reading, please see the attached PDF.

His last wife, Inge Topperwein, Arthur was married to when I spent most of my time with
him later in his life. Unfortunately she died from cancer while Arthur was still alive. I still
continued to visit after her death. I knew many of his wife's. Terri not very well (long story),
did not know or meet Eliza, knew Eva, had dinner with her a few times with Inge.

One of the things I like about this thread is that Alfresco allows us to learn a little bit about what Arthur's personality was like. He's one of those guys I wish I could have met.

Might be a stupid question, but did Arthur Jones like music much, was he into hi-fi stereos? Seems like he might have been.

Never saw Arthur listening to music.

seems like a good guy to make a movie about.

See genealogy.

Attachments

• aj_marriages (1).pdf
    543.5 KB · Views: 15
Married many times. It's all covered in the literature I have sent. But if you have not
been reading, please see the attached PDF.

His last wife, Inge Topperwein, Arthur was married to when I spent most of my time with
him later in his life. Unfortunately she died from cancer while Arthur was still alive. I still
continued to visit after her death. I knew many of his wife's. Terri not very well (long story),
did not know or meet Eliza, knew Eva, had dinner with her a few times with Inge.

Never saw Arthur listening to music.
So when he coached lifters or did it himself he never listened to music either? Personally I won't wear headphones but I do like some music.

Arthur Jones obituary. This may help to answer some of the personal questions many
of you may have about him. Seems odd I know but sadly I was not able to attend.

Attachments

• AJ_Memorial_Booklet.pdf
    452.7 KB · Views: 35
Arthur Jones obituary. This may help to answer some of the personal questions many
of you may have about him. Seems odd I know but sadly I was not able to attend.

Man casey and sergio are from another planet there !

Arthur seems like a great and interesting person , you are very lucky to have known him alfresco

Man casey and sergio are from another planet there !

Arthur seems like a great and interesting person , you are very lucky to have known him alfresco

Yes he does look like he is from another planet.

Right to left; Sergio 72 Olympia, guest posing in Japan (very good shape here),
Arnold and Sergio, photographer is Wayne Gallasch before the Olympia, Sergio
started out as an Olympic lifer, and one of the most iconic bodybuilding shots of
all time, arms as big as your head, with Larry Gillmore. Last shot, I dunno.

My opinion, he never got into really really good shape. Close but no cigar. I don't
know what his diet was he was getting into contest shape but there are heaps stories.

Attachments

• oliva-72.jpg
    oliva-72.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 23
  • s_File0002 copy.jpg
    s_File0002 copy.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 25
  • sergio 72-4 japan.jpg
    sergio 72-4 japan.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 26
  • sergio and arnold deland.jpg
    sergio and arnold deland.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 28
  • sergio_nautilus.JPG
    sergio_nautilus.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 26
  • sergio_wayne.jpg
    sergio_wayne.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 27
  • young sergio lifting.jpg
    young sergio lifting.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 26
  • sergiofrontdb.jpg
    sergiofrontdb.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 24
  • e_sergio.jpg
    e_sergio.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 25
  • sergio_med_gallery_1_4_100254.jpg
    sergio_med_gallery_1_4_100254.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 25

started out as an Olympic lifer, and one of the most iconic bodybuilding shots of

My opinion, he never got into really really good shape. Close but no cigar. I don't
know what his diet was he was getting into contest shape but there are heaps stories.

Sergio's triceps had such long yet full developed muscle bellies, it gave him that blown up like balloon look

Guy would've been vastly more popular had Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't immigrate to the US.

Sergio's triceps had such long yet full developed muscle bellies, it gave him that blown up like balloon look

Guy would've been vastly more popular had Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't immigrate to the US.
Certainly true I think.

3b0dcd492e6487ec75e2352e7be5b26d.jpg

Yes i never found out about his diet

Only that he used deca and winny only

Sergio had a pretty awful diet that just solidified his genetic gift. He was very fond of eating hot dogs burgers, full flavor soda and other assorted shit with absolutely zero nutritional value, all the way up to a contest.

Yes i never found out about his diet

Only that he used deca and winny only

If you Goodle it, I am sure you would find all sorts of people commenting on his diet.
I don't recall Arthur ever mentioning it or writing about it. But his diet would be totally
irrelevant as it pertains to you.

I don't speculate on anybodies drug usage or talk about it. The only person that knows
is the user. And I would have to talk with them to believe it and even then I would have
my doubts. And besides, it's nobodies business but their own, except in medical cases,
where such information might be the difference between life or death . . . how do you
like them odds?

On to the fotos . . .

The first one, taken at Lake Helen, FA is of Sergio flanked by two rather large, strong
college football players, not bodybuilders, just big and strong young men. The difference
in body type, structure, muscle 'shape' is rarely more evident then here. While you may
have similar size and weight, nothing trumps good genetics in bodybuilding.

"Two football players from Alabama; the Anderson brothers, Dennis and Walter, were
spending the summer in Florida for the purpose of training under the supervision of
Mr. Jones, and they trained in exactly the same manner that Casey did, using very heavy
resistance and moving immediately from one exercise to the next.

"A long talk with one these brothers, Dennis Anderson, brought forth the following information.
A year earlier, a four week training program of Nautilus exercises increased his strength in
the squat by exactly 50% from 6 repetitions with 280 pounds to 6 repetitions with 420 pounds.
Similar strength increases were produced in all areas of movement, as a result of eleven brief
workouts performed over a period of 28 days. His brother Walter, produced equally good
results from the same training program, and was also very enthusiastic about the new style
of training. “Dennis and I trained with weights for four years,” he told me, “but we gained
more from four weeks of Nautilus training than we did from all of our barbell workouts put
together. When we went back to school after a month down here, our coach couldn’t believe
the condition we were in. And we were faster, too.”

written by Dr. Elloit Plese, who supervised the Colorado Experiment at Fort Collins, CO.

The second photograph is of Larry Gilmore and Sergio Oliva in Lake Helen, FL. where Larry
owned and operated a gym. He retired from At&T and helped Arthur during the early days
at Nautilus. I used to visit Larry when I was out to see Arthur. He had a fantastic gym in the
back of his house. He even had one of the original triceps pushdown machines. (I think he
provided me with this foto, which I duplicated and returned to Larry. He was very trusting.)
In 2013 Larry passed away.

Funny story Larry and Arthur . . .

Larry Gilmore recalls the first time he met Arthur Jones. Larry was in a cast and on crutches
from a recently broken leg. He was in the breezeway at DeLand High School waiting for his
wife, a secretary at the school.

A stranger walked up and asked, "Are you a would-be bodybuilder?"
"No."
"Are you a would-be coach?"
"No."
"Are you a would-be football player?"
"Ill tell you who I am. You see that concrete marker over there? Well, I'm the son of a bitch
who's going to rip it out of the ground and cram it down your throat."

At this point, they were nose to nose. The stranger pulled a pistol from his waistband and
pointed it directly at Larry. "Oh, are you bulletproof?"
Larry stuck his finger in the barrel and simultaneously shifted so he was not in the direct
line of fire. "Yes."
"Are you crazy?"
"Yes, and never forget that!"

Arthur's version does not include a gun.

Attachments

• oliva_anderson-bros_copy.jpg
    oliva_anderson-bros_copy.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 38
  • e_sergio_larry.jpg
    e_sergio_larry.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 37
Certainly true I think.

3b0dcd492e6487ec75e2352e7be5b26d.jpg
is it me or does Sergio's right arm look a bit bigger than his left? Also, even though Sergio's not as lean as Arnie in this pic, it's clear he has better shape and more size on his legs than Arnold. I can't consider Arnold to be the greatest bodybuilder ever b/c of his mediocre legs. When i say mediocre, i only mean this in the sense when compared to other elite bodybuilders of his time.

is it me or does Sergio's right arm look a bit bigger than his left? Also, even though Sergio's not as lean as Arnie in this pic, it's clear he has better shape and more size on his legs than Arnold. I can't consider Arnold to be the greatest bodybuilder ever b/c of his mediocre legs. When i say mediocre, i only mean this in the sense when compared to other elite bodybuilders of his time.

In that shot Arnold´s Rectus Femoris and Vastus Medialis are so much bigger than Sergio´s it isn´t even close, aesthetically speaking Sergio´s physique is certainly much more pleasing.

Thanks Alfresco for the great read and photographs, yours must have been an extremely exciting life too. Have you ever considered publishing a book with all the stories and photographs in your possession?

It not unusual to have one arm larger than the other, but not by that much. I don't
know if it is correctable. I suppose if it was ever bodybuilder would would have both
arm's the size.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner