over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Arthur Jones, Nautilus memorabilia

USMuscle9403

Registered
Potential Nautilus slogans . . .

@alfresco brother your contributions are stunning

I especially like this one. It may seem a bit eclectic, but I love seeing the handwriting, notes and notebooks of interesting people. It's as personal as you can possibly get and gives insight into their thoughts at a specific time and they're often far more personal and affectionate than any media release. I've also noticed most reasonably successful folks keep notebooks, journals.

Love it, love it. Thanks again for this thread. It may go down as one of the best bodybuilding related threads in internet history, no kidding

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Fantastic post Sides. Thanks for digging that up, and sharing it. Seems like Arthur was very self aware of the things in his life (especially his behavior); he did things, and knew he did them as well

The eccentricity probably would've been more acknowledged today rather than the time period in which he resided

lookslikesausage

Registered
Fantastic post Sides. Thanks for digging that up, and sharing it. Seems like Arthur was very self aware of the things in his life (especially his behavior); he did things, and knew he did them as well

The eccentricity probably would've been more acknowledged today rather than the time period in which he resided
I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but imagine if he had social media? I'd be so interested to hear his commentary on many of the current issues that we are facing in today's society (I'm sure he'd have strong opinions too). I also definitely see similarities between him and Elon Musk. Maybe Elon Musk is the Arthur Jones of the automobile industry.

BigTex

Registered
Fred knew everyone that is for sure. I do know he did say much good about Jones' training protocols and was very much against this HIT stuff that use to be internet popular back in the early 2000's. I do love being able to see this big of History you have posted. Thanks so much for allowing us to see it all.

BigTex

Registered
Didn't Dr. Squat invent the Safety Squat Bar?
Absolutely. Dr Squat invented the safety bar. Quite few other gadgets that were honestly all good inventions.

Maldorf, I met Squat through powerlifting. I also ran a couple of online news groups that were very popular in the late 90's. He was also a member of both groups and posted advice quite frequently. Squat was a VERY intelligent man. Of course he was also a legend in the sport of powerlifting. I was very happy to know him. He did recognize my knowledge and tried to help me as a writer and do the internet thing. Which I did for a few years but eventually developed a very bad taste in my mouth about the whole shady internet scene. After he left Muscle and Fitness I had to get a lawyer to avoid being ripped off by the editor. Squat has millions of stores about lifting against some very famous Olympic lifters who doubted his strength and his ability to hold vodka. He and Dr. Mel Siff use to amaze me with this stuff. Squat turned me on to Mauro DiPasquale, as well as Tom Platz so he gave me a chance to meet and talk to some very interesting people. I still to this day hold a high respect for Fred Hatfield. I am still thankful for all of his help and conversations. I just had no interest in being another "internet GURU." We have enough of those as it is.

What pushed us in opposite directions happened over the use of powerlifting equipment. He used it to set ALL of his records and also had the spotters remove the squat jacks. So I guess Squat actually invented the idea of the Monolift but he criticized people who use it. He also criticized all of the new equipment being used, yet he use the state of the art stuff in his time. I never understood this as I left the sport and can only hope things advance as I retired from it. I did all I wanted to do and someone will erase my records. In those public attacks he also went after some of my oldest friends such as John Inzer and even Anthony Clark. I never hated him but he seem to not be interested in talking to me after I said something to him about his comments in public. I still, after all of that hold the highest respect for him as he was a very intelligent man and a legend as a lifter. His legacy will never be erased from history.

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but imagine if he had social media? I'd be so interested to hear his commentary on many of the current issues that we are facing in today's society (I'm sure he'd have strong opinions too). I also definitely see similarities between him and Elon Musk. Maybe Elon Musk is the Arthur Jones of the automobile industry.
I bet a guy like Arthur would have significantly more leverage with every project he's embarked on if he had internet at his disposal

I can also imagine a very angry twitter account as well :)

Sides

Registered
I bet a guy like Arthur would have significantly more leverage with every project he's embarked on if he had internet at his disposal

I can also imagine a very angry twitter account as well :)

One thing is for sure, and that is if Arthur Jones was still alive and had social media, in this day and age he would have been banned from social media long ago. He was anything but politically correct.

I can post all kinds of quotes from him in the late 90's/early 2000's, castigating "Slick Willie and the Iron Maiden" (Bill and Hillary Clinton) for trying to ruin healthcare, accusing the government of trying to destroy American society ever since FDR and the New Deal in the 1930's, and especially after 9/11/2001, recommending that Afghanistan be nuked into a "glass desert."

Even back in 1960, when Bill Pearl asked Arthur if he thought JFK could become the next President, Arthur supposedly replied "It really doesn't matter. Some right-thinking Texan will take care of the son-of-a-bitch."

I definitely don't want to turn this into a political thread, so let's not move things in that direction. But there was no question about what side of the political fence Arthur Jones was on. Couple that with his complete inability to self-censor himself, and his open disregard for people's feelings, and I think there's little question he would be banned from any of the major social media platforms today.

Not saying whether that was right or wrong, or taking any political stance. Just saying, that was Arthur Jones.

USMuscle9403

Registered
One thing is for sure, and that is if Arthur Jones was still alive and had social media, in this day and age he would have been banned from social media long ago. He was anything but politically correct.

I can post all kinds of quotes from him in the late 90's/early 2000's, castigating "Slick Willie and the Iron Maiden" (Bill and Hillary Clinton) for trying to ruin healthcare, accusing the government of trying to destroy American society ever since FDR and the New Deal in the 1930's, and especially after 9/11/2001, recommending that Afghanistan be nuked into a "glass desert."

Even back in 1960, when Bill Pearl asked Arthur if he thought JFK could become the next President, Arthur supposedly replied "It really doesn't matter. Some right-thinking Texan will take care of the son-of-a-bitch."

I definitely don't want to turn this into a political thread, so let's not move things in that direction. But there was no question about what side of the political fence Arthur Jones was on. Couple that with his complete inability to self-censor himself, and his open disregard for people's feelings, and I think there's little question he would be banned from any of the major social media platforms today.

Not saying whether that was right or wrong, or taking any political stance. Just saying, that was Arthur Jones.

Ha! I obviously never knew him, but definitely took him to be a bit Trump-ish. In fact thethinker48 upon mentioning social media immediately made me think of him being the same way on Twitter 😂

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
[email protected]