over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Artificial Sweeteners

I should have been more specific. That is totally my bad bro. Seems like consuming small amounts is fine, but long term consumptions of large amounts could potentially lead to health problems down the line.

Now we're getting somewhere!

I'm not telling anyone to avoid or take any of the things discussed here, but to at least question the research around it and not to post "bro-science" or other things of that nature. Things get a bad name when it's not warranted.

There aren't two sides. People feel different ways about them, and will choose to consume them or not, but it's either negative or positive.

Trying to prove a point by posting claims and then telling the people questioning them to do the research is...odd.

Stevia can lower blood sugar to dangerous levels. I think I read that once. I'm claiming it...don't believe me? Look it up for yourself.

See?

I posted up some research for you to see regarding aspartame and saccharin. As for splenda, it hasn't been out on the market long enough for conclusive results. There is plenty of speculation on the sides from many different people. I don't claim to know the sides of splenda which is why I'm on the fence in regards to it. I can't say it's bad or good. As for myself I tend to gravitate towards foods/sweetners/etc. that are more natural. I prefer truvia myself even though it's still relatively new and long term studies aren't quite conclusive yet on it.

Last edited:
I understood your point, but I thought it was far to generalized. I don't think there is conclusive research to talk about mortality rates, quality of life, etc that shows that splenda is unhealthy or worse than stevia or anything else. I don't think any can be labeled a "toxin." If there were definitive proof that either of these things were "unhealthy" then I would agree with you.

Hot pepper consumption in South East Asia can lead to stomach cancer over time...peppers aren't considered toxins, they're natural food products, but they can lead to health problems even in moderate doses. Should we label them as unhealthy and bash the consumers of them?

I think mental health is important...and mental health & physical health can be linked in many ways.

It might not be unreasonable, but it might be. (For example, if I take 200mg DNP for 365 days I MIGHT not encounter health problems...but I might...however if I take 1.5g for three days, I could die...yes DNP is an extreme example, but it's just to highlight that lower doses over longer periods does not necessarily equate to short term, ridiculously high doses).

That's my problem with the whole point...there are a bunch of conclusions and guesses, no actual data. So to simply label something as an unhealthy toxin and its users as potentially careless? That I have a problem with, especially given the nature of this board.

I suppose we should just agree to disagree. The evidence I've seen is adequate to convince me not to use them. If it's insufficient for you, so be it. Everyone has to make their own choices, and I'm not willing to risk my health on 'inconclusive' data.

I suppose we should just agree to disagree. The evidence I've seen is adequate to convince me not to use them. If it's insufficient for you, so be it. Everyone has to make their own choices, and I'm not willing to risk my health on 'inconclusive' data.

Fair enough my friend. Good info on the gut flora, that definitely warrants further research. I think our feelings our similar...we don't really want to consume more chemicals, but I guess I don't mind it as much as you do. We're more comfortable with the natural alternatives like the list that you posted.

I use splenda in some of the protein powders I use, but I mix it up by having unflavored or stevia sweetened powders as well. I think consuming anything for too long (even something like fish oil) can have negative side effects, so I do try and mix it up and cycle most of the supplements/food ingredients that I take in.

I think the bottom line is, the studies are inconclusive and oddly done and that it should be a personal/judgment free choice because we simply do not know.

Fair enough my friend. Good info on the gut flora, that definitely warrants further research. I think our feelings our similar...we don't really want to consume more chemicals, but I guess I don't mind it as much as you do. We're more comfortable with the natural alternatives like the list that you posted.

I use splenda in some of the protein powders I use, but I mix it up by having unflavored or stevia sweetened powders as well. I think consuming anything for too long (even something like fish oil) can have negative side effects, so I do try and mix it up and cycle most of the supplements/food ingredients that I take in.

I think the bottom line is, the studies are inconclusive and oddly done and that it should be a personal/judgment free choice because we simply do not know.

There is actually some data I remember seeing about fish oil and possible detrimental effects, but I'll leave that for another time.

One last thing regarding the calorie aspect I'll leave you with is this study. I had to find it on my phone because my work computers cannot access blog sites.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/search?q=Splenda+&m=1

Cheers.

There is actually some data I remember seeing about fish oil and possible detrimental effects, but I'll leave that for another time.

One last thing regarding the calorie aspect I'll leave you with is this study. I had to find it on my phone because my work computers cannot access blog sites.

SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Cheers.

Yeah, I haven't done all the research on fish oil, but I'm wondering if I should take in less of it or use a flax/blend of EFAs...tough one. Should I start a thread asking for opinions?

I have seen that study you posted, and I think that bothers me more than the other things. We try to fool the body, but it is smarter than we give it credit for. I have noticed that when I consume more artificial sweeteners, my cravings for sugary things increases.

For example, I used to consume a decently large amount of diet sodas every day/week (Aspartame). During that time, I had huge cravings for sugary things. At some point I switched the diet sodas out and replaced them with Sobe Zero Calorie Life Waters and Vitamin Water Zero (stevia) and those cravings evaporated.

Yeah, I haven't done all the research on fish oil, but I'm wondering if I should take in less of it or use a flax/blend of EFAs...tough one. Should I start a thread asking for opinions?

I have seen that study you posted, and I think that bothers me more than the other things. We try to fool the body, but it is smarter than we give it credit for. I have noticed that when I consume more artificial sweeteners, my cravings for sugary things increases.

For example, I used to consume a decently large amount of diet sodas every day/week (Aspartame). During that time, I had huge cravings for sugary things. At some point I switched the diet sodas out and replaced them with Sobe Zero Calorie Life Waters and Vitamin Water Zero (stevia) and those cravings evaporated.

I'll look for that study later tonight when I have more time. If I find it I'll either start a thread or pm you.

I'll use any of the sweeteners as long as it enhances the taste of my food. I mainly use splenda though.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws