over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

asymmetry in form when using barbell exercises

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This week I added 2 new exercises to my rotation to focus more on compound lifts, barbell rows and upright rows for delts. When I did them in the mirror (not super heavy weight but weight I could control in the 12-15 range to start) I noticed that my left elbow comes up at a different angle than my right.

I have noticed this in pictures of myself too that one elbow angles out a bit more than the other when I stand with hands by my side relaxed. Not sure if its related to 2 past injuries (torn labrum, torn pec minor) or just how Im build as nobody's posture I guess is perfectly symmetrical.

Has anyone else notices this with barbell exercises? I tried to correct it, but that's just the way my arm rises or pulls back, its not really a form issue thats just the path my arm travels when moving the barbell from point A to point B In that plane.

LOL. I just remarked to myself just 5 minutes ago the same thing. As I do barbell bench, the center of the bar moves slightly to my right (and I'm right handed and certainly stronger with that hand). As an engineer, it's a matter of what we called statics. by moving the center of gravity to the right, my right side was carrying more of the weight.

If you figure out how to fix it (with a barbell), let me know :D

I'd assume I have some asymmetry on barbell and dumbbell presses too based on what I saw in the mirror doing rows lol

In my case the bar is balanced and traveling the proper path, it's just that in order to do it one elbow flares out more. I guess it hasn't hurt me in terms of being unbalanced as I'm relatively symmetrical and I'm not particularly injury prone.

I had similar issues. Ended up being my subscap which then caused issues to my teres, lats and traps. Completely threw off one side of my body.

I had similar issues. Ended up being my subscap which then caused issues to my teres, lats and traps. Completely threw off one side of my body.
Did a physical therapist diagnose it? Were they able to fix or or just suggest you continue to lift as long as its not causing discomfort or injury? Or maybe alter your training (dumbbell or cable vs barbell)?

I kept lifting but its definitely not something that would have fixed itself. My PT noticed it. Worked on it a bit. I went home and used the edge of a door frame and applied pressure into that area. After about an hour or so it eventually gave in. I took a video and he confirmed that was the case. Now I've been seeing my RMT for work on my traps and teres muscles as those are harder to fix on my own.

I kept lifting and it actually caused an imbalance. My traps and teres are overdeveloped on one side. For the life of me I could not figure out what it was. I kept thinking maybe I'm not activating properly so I started doing iso lateral movements etc. Told my PT everything I had tried (to save him time) and literally the first thing he suggested ended up being it.

To answer your question, I was able to train just fine. I only really noticed it because my back relaxed pose looked weird. There was zero discomfort.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws