over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Atkins For A Dieting Bodybuilder

A50#

Old School Moderator
Staff member
Registered
I'm wondering if the Atkins theory of dieting would provide useful for a dieting bodybuilder? Basically it's a high Protein, low carb diet. For the first 14 days, you only take in 20 grams of carbs per day and I'm concerned about having enough energy to complete a high intensity work out.

i read a nice long article on this, and pretty much it boils down to not having carbs and such to push the protein into your muscle after training, and resulting in a loss of muscle.

personally dont do it, your workouts will suck, you wont even feel like training. maybe just try CUTTING some carbs and eating them in moderation vs. totally dropping them.

Good Luck,

Todd

low to no carb....

GotJuice is right. I have also read that its not a good practice for a competitive bodybuilder to use a no carb approach to their nutrition in the precontest stage because you drop too much muscle especially if you are a heavyweight however....I suppose if you are only a few weeks out and still holding some fat and water...you may use it as a last ditch effort ?

Atkins Definitley not a good idea

When you train and juice you need the extra carbs and especially to help not put extra strain on your kidneys from aLL the protien synthesis. I just never figures out why guys dnt stick to the 6 small balanced meals a day with some protien shakes in between. I mean its a staple and always has been for me. A50 we've talked befor about your eating change where you signifigantly lowered your protien intake and upped your carbs. Please post what you did for the other guys. You said you even built more muscle without fat. Let the guys in on your secrets
Rone

I tend to think that a cyclic ketogenic diet would be the closest you'd want to be to the atkin's diet. Even then, you're only gonna want to do that while in a cutting phase. You'll find that you can't maintain for an extended period of time, so trying to build while using that method is definitely not gonna work.

TKD

A time Atkins diet could work as in carb free up until pre/post workout then you eat regular. If you want to grow use carbs/fats/pro

Nutrition Book....

We've had a lot of luck adapting diets from Power Eating by Susan Kleiner. If anyone else has an opinion on this book and her ideas, I'd like to hear it.
Joey

I done the BodyOpus diet 2x - the second time for 6 weeks. I think that this is too long and I started to loose muscle after about 4 weeks.
Cycle your carbs - Dpsquat is helping me with my diet and has me cycling my carbs and it is working better then everything I have tried before.

Re: Atkins Definitley not a good idea

Rone Daremmc said:
When you train and juice you need the extra carbs and especially to help not put extra strain on your kidneys from aLL the protien synthesis. I just never figures out why guys dnt stick to the 6 small balanced meals a day with some protien shakes in between. I mean its a staple and always has been for me. A50 we've talked befor about your eating change where you signifigantly lowered your protien intake and upped your carbs. Please post what you did for the other guys. You said you even built more muscle without fat. Let the guys in on your secrets
Rone

I started a new thread with the plan we talked about before Rone. Btw, where the hell you been hiding at brutha, long time no see.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear