advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Atlanta Gym REFUSES to give memberships to COPS and VETS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Atlanta area really that progressive? That gym only opened last year. I wonder how long it will stay open with an attitude like that.

About Us ? East Atlanta Barbell Club

And like someone else here mentioned, how are they even going to know if you are serving or have served in the military or are a cop?

whats the repercussions...????

people suing and such nonsense...????

I was just talking with my father recently....and talking about
how different things are now....than 20 years ago....
he says internet is destroying the world...:rolleyes::D

Pesty.....how can this guy LEGALLY do this without consequence...???
he must have something to stay legal....or is he writing his own toe tag..???

:)

Fed Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin.

Disabilities Act covers ... surprise disabilities.

And then some states have additional laws that may cover or protect other groups such as sexual orientation, not covered under the Fed., but...

If there is no fed or state law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess, largely b/c of differences in state and fed laws and who is and who isn't a "protected class". Even if there is no law in this case, this gym is looking at lawsuits.

Is the Atlanta area really that progressive? That gym only opened last year. I wonder how long it will stay open with an attitude like that.

This part of Atlanta, Yes. It really is its own subculture. The gym looks like a community gym so who knows how long it will stay open. Its just a black eye to think this is going on anywhere.

And like someone else here mentioned, how are they even going to know if you are serving or have served in the military or are a cop?

Some people walk in in uniform to the gym and change in the locker room. Seen it happen all the time. Ultimately, the principle of the matter (discrimination and exclusion) as well as creating a hostile environment for LE and Military who are just trying to workout is at the core IMO.

well... i know EXACTLY where i would be setting up my traffic traps as the local police lmao

..and that would be supporting the many reasons this guy does not want to have LEO in his gym. :banghead:

Fed Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin.

Disabilities Act covers ... surprise disabilities.

And then some states have additional laws that may cover or protect other groups such as sexual orientation, not covered under the Fed., but...

If there is no fed or state law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.

The whole thing is a bit of a mess, largely b/c of differences in state and fed laws and who is and who isn't a "protected class". Even if there is no law in this case, this gym is looking at lawsuits.

but what CONSEQUENCE..???? is what I'm asking....what can they do
to this guy..???

but what CONSEQUENCE..???? is what I'm asking....what can they do
to this guy..???

Hey Tenny,

He can be sued for discrimination, but if there is no state or local law protecting this "class", which is highly unlikely, the gym should win lawsuits. However, the gym would still have to pay to defend lawsuits which seems like a losing proposition.

I believe what Pesty is alluding to is that the lawsuits are not worth the trade off, even if he wins, it's going to cost to defend the lawsuits and as a small business owner these suits would be expensive to continually defend.

So to summarize you are right, he can do this and Pesty is right .. it's probably not worth it.

There are laws against discriminating against race etc.. but I don't think there are for careers lol.. So fuck it. Let them do their thing. I don't like it, but I also won't ever go there so it doesn't make me a bit of difference.

It will be closed in a year or so anyway I'm sure :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There are laws against discriminating against race etc.. but I don't think there are for careers lol.. So fuck it. Let them do their thing. I don't like it, but I also won't ever go there so it doesn't make me a bit of difference.

It will be closed in a year or so anyway I'm sure :rolleyes:

you what I see a lot of.....and just don't understand...

I see guys and girls.....come into the gym in FULL COMBAT fatigues...
WHY...???

did they just get off the plane, straight to the bus station, straight to the gym??
lol, you cant go home (or whatever you live or stay) and change..???
you don't have regular clothes to wear..???

I don't get it.

Well, it's not about "race, color, religion or national origin.".

Bingo! Police and Military are not a protected class absent some obscure local law.

However you can sue anybody for anything in the USA, it doesn't matter how absurd.

Well, it's not about "race, color, religion or national origin.".

I think gay couples are winning law suits. Maybe it depends on what state. I don't think sexual orientation in written into federal law.

The next lawsuit is going to be against the feds for denying transgender people to serve in the military. I wish the law was more strait forward.

I think gay couples are winning law suits. Maybe it depends on what state. I don't think sexual orientation in written into federal law.

The next lawsuit is going to be against the feds for denying transgender people to serve in the military. I wish the law was more strait forward.

You are correct ...

And then some states have additional laws that may cover or protect other groups such as sexual orientation, that are not covered under the Fed.

In some states, sexual orientation is a protected class and in others it is not, and as you correctly stated the Fed 1964 does not cover sexual orientation.

States may add protected classes in addition to Federal law

WHY...???

did they just get off the plane, straight to the bus station, straight to the gym??

I don't get it.

It's because they want you to know they're hard of course. lol I had an acquaintance who would dress in his uniform before like even going to the grocery store sometimes and what not. I called him out on it and he got defensive. Hell he could just leave his dog tags hanging out or something. Or maybe it was the camo factor... doesn't want to be seen in public

Personally I don't think I've ever seen that though at the gym.

WHY...???

I don't get it.

I've seen that before, and it seemed weird. I get that they might just be proud to serve their country, and that's admirable, but my guess is most of them aren't actually serving and just want to look like they are.

How silly. If a gym had a sign that told me that my vocation, or whatever, was excluded, I'd laugh and move on to another establishment that had a brain in its head. No biggie.

I just wonder how smart it is to advertise to any criminals that you don't have to worry about any cops being around here.... LOL. And when they call in the burglary, or whatever, I suspect the cops will take their good ol' time in showing up.

I can see excluding hipsters... but cops and vets? No class.

This gyms policy is stupid and nonsensical but really the result of the bizarre polarization that exists in this country, thanks to a media that chases soundbites, treats elections like contests and pits people against each others instead of you know, actual investigative journalism.

My grandpa fought in WW2 and when he came back vets were seen as national heros. I can't believe he's lived to be in a world where gym owners ban cops and servicemen. I know a lot of people who joined the army to pay for college or turn their lives around after a bad situation. Do they deserve to be banned or treated with scorn because of it? Do the actions of a tiny minority of cops represent everyone in uniform?

People in this country have forgotten how to be talk to each other and let political opinions get in the way of day to day life. What an era we live in...

Last edited:
Bingo! Police and Military are not a protected class absent some obscure local law.

However you can sue anybody for anything in the USA, it doesn't matter how absurd.

are you a student of law..???

lawyer....or prosecutor..????

How silly. If a gym had a sign that told me that my vocation, or whatever, was excluded, I'd laugh and move on to another establishment that had a brain in its head. No biggie.

I just wonder how smart it is to advertise to any criminals that you don't have to worry about any cops being around here.... LOL. And when they call in the burglary, or whatever, I suspect the cops will take their good ol' time in showing up.

I can see excluding hipsters... but cops and vets? No class.

then he can sue....

I read this thinking it's a hardcore gym not offering memberships to cops so cops don't bust steroid users :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads