YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Away from the gym for one year. Best way to get back into it?

soloartist56

Registered
Hello everyone,

Been lifting weights on and off for about 15 years. This past year is the longest I haven't touched a weight. It is exactly 1 year that I have not worked out. No pushups, no weights, no cardio, nothing.

I typically work out in a bodybuilding routine (ex: Chest/Biceps on Mon, Back on Tues, Shoulders/Triceps Wed etc, etc)

My first day back should I just get right back into my routine ? First day, Chest/Biceps ? Or should I do some kind of full body workout ?

I am going to experience extreme soreness again like a person who never touched a weight. I'm just trying to see the best way to "get back into it" ?

Btw, I am natural. No supplements other than over the counter stuff like creatine etc.

Always start back slowly make sure you are fully warmed up and work up in weights progressively until what you used to do. Muscle memory will kick in pretty quick
Ok thanks. Now would you go right into your routine you had before (of course with lighter weight) or do some kind of full body workout your first week back ?

Ok thanks. Now would you go right into your routine you had before (of course with lighter weight) or do some kind of full body workout your first week back ?
Personally I would go back to my split routine but full body 2-3 times per week is fine what I can say is do what’s best for you and your lifestyle and what you enjoy doing also.

You are going to be sore maybe and more instinctive training is needed. Train what is not sore until your body becomes more accustom to lifting.

I’m just getting back into the routine after a long time off as well. Fully agree with Darren. Start back up slowly, warm up, even throw in some stretching. Dont overwhelm your joints with heavy weights at first. Good luck bro! Stay with it.

I’m just getting back into the routine after a long time off as well. Fully agree with Darren. Start back up slowly, warm up, even throw in some stretching. Dont overwhelm your joints with heavy weights at first. Good luck bro! Stay with it.
Thanks for the tip ! I appreciate it !

Any thing that is done after a long absence will lead to improvements. Full body 3x week for a few weeks switching over to splits could get as much benefit as anything. From the studies I have seen full body early on yield at least as much as anything.

I would just jump back into the old routine with less weight and less volume. Add more reps and sets as you get back into it over the first couple months.

I just did this myself, since the gyms were closed here for so long. Now I'm back to doing 30 sets per workout, just at lower weights compared to 2019.

Thanks everyone for the advice ! I did chest/back yesterday, light, one chest movement, then one back movement etc etc... Woke up sore as sh*t. Feel like a total noob. Did light squats today, hacks, lying hamstrings curls... It really sucks to start from ground zero again after a 1 year hiatus.

I might be the odd one out here but Eveytime I’ve taken time off I just jump back in and train as hard as I can. The body will adapt. I never liked to waste time easing back into it. You might be weaker but I’d still do something like Big As growth principles for beginners get your strength back up and the size will follow and I’ll bet it comes back pretty quick.

Thanks everyone for the advice ! I did chest/back yesterday, light, one chest movement, then one back movement etc etc... Woke up sore as sh*t. Feel like a total noob. Did light squats today, hacks, lying hamstrings curls... It really sucks to start from ground zero again after a 1 year hiatus.

It's a great feeling once you get used to it and start pushing yourself. You get beginner gains all over again, only they come faster with muscle memory.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws