YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Back into lifting - 5 x 5 or 5/3/1 BBB or other?

DEADn

Registered
I took some time off to rehab a shoulder impingement. I could have worked out but I like to do the whole body and not neglect anything. I am beginning to get back into powerlifting and am wondering what routine I should use.

What I am looking at is doing the stronglifts 5 x 5 for 3 months and then going to 5/3/1 BBB after that.

I am 46, 6'1" 225lbs

Before I stopped these were my numbers for a one rep max

Squat max 310
Bench 210
Deadlift 365
Military press 170 ( not a powerlifting move but I like the lift)

What do you think? I gotta be careful not to irritate my right shoulder. It still seems a bit delicate and is only affected by the bench press.

I like 5/3/1 wth the first set last option.
For 5x5 I would go with the ramping sets versus static

I like 5/3/1 wth the first set last option.
For 5x5 I would go with the ramping sets versus static

5/3/1 explain what you mean on that.

On 5 x 5 are you saying to put a little weight on there for each set?

Hey bud. I think I remember you from either iron addicts or intense muscle.

Google 5/3/1 first set last. It's in wendlers book. U try to do amrap as possible on the last set.

Yes ramping 5x5 is starting with a lower intensity set and working your way up to a heavy all out set of 5.

Hey bud. I think I remember you from either iron addicts or intense muscle.

Google 5/3/1 first set last. It's in wendlers book. U try to do amrap as possible on the last set.

Yes ramping 5x5 is starting with a lower intensity set and working your way up to a heavy all out set of 5.

I am aware of the 5/3/1 but not the first set last. Google produced nothing

5 x 5 is one weight for those sets and then for legs it goes up 10lbs each day but for upper body it is 5 lbs.

I am aware of the 5/3/1 but not the first set last. Google produced nothing

5 x 5 is one weight for those sets and then for legs it goes up 10lbs each day but for upper body it is 5 lbs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQvFKyDA74&sns=em[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZMSEZxLpkM&sns=em[/ame]

Visual aids ;)

Last edited:
What are your goals? With those poundages, I assume you aren't competing, but just enjoying lifting as heavy as you can. Shoulders are tough. Everything affects it. I have more problems with mine after squats due to low mobility. As long as you are doing a 3 day a week program, warming up well, and not benching each time I think you'll be fine. Switch it up every few months if you get bored. If you are planning to compare then I'd give you a completely different answer.

What are your goals? With those poundages, I assume you aren't competing, but just enjoying lifting as heavy as you can. Shoulders are tough. Everything affects it. I have more problems with mine after squats due to low mobility. As long as you are doing a 3 day a week program, warming up well, and not benching each time I think you'll be fine. Switch it up every few months if you get bored. If you are planning to compare then I'd give you a completely different answer.

My ultimate goal is to get strong because as I get older I think it would do my body well to be stronger then I am. I want to put on some size with it as well but strength comes first.

The one thing I need to do, and I don't, is the stretching and especially in the shoulders and the hips area. Sometimes I will begin doing it but after a few weeks I get away from it and I think it is because it takes time and I don't want to spend a few hours stretching and lift. I lift at home.

2 other things I am looking for and that is a powerlifting belt as well as knee pad. I noticed my knees are giving me some pain but I wonder if that is from my own body weight?

hated the 531...Everyone's different but i did two cycles and lost strength. The %'s didn't work for me and were to light. If your just starting back should be no need to do small percentages of a 1rep max that will be super weak..youll be able to blow right by that just doing the 5x5...

I think at 46, you should re-evaluate your way of thinking. If you think your knees are bothering you now, wait until you get a little older pounding heavy weight.

I've been on the cube method and it's done wonders for me

I've been on the cube method and it's done wonders for me

What kind of progress have you seen? I am just hesitant to use it because of how long it is and the seemingly small percentages with very little repetition of heavy weight.

I love the BBB for beginner and intermediate lifters because you get to move some heavy weights but also get some submax I'm also volume for increased muscle growth.

hated the 531...Everyone's different but i did two cycles and lost strength. The %'s didn't work for me and were to light. If your just starting back should be no need to do small percentages of a 1rep max that will be super weak..youll be able to blow right by that just doing the 5x5...

I am feeling you on this. One of my problems is trying to do too many auxiliary exercises making the whole workout go an hours. It was simple enough though.

I am doing the starting strength 5 x 5 and will eventually go to the Texas Method. I want to experiment with it because it is forcing me to making sure my ROM is good and keep me in check with assistance exercises. I am also understanding the rep scheme better then I did when just doing the 5/3/1 and how to adjust things in order to get stronger.

My only weak point is the bench press. I have been able to do up to 215lbs for a rep but at the moment I am doing 150lbs 3 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 4. This is partly do to a muscle tear in my shoulder. I am learning to use the chest, back and tri's in order to grow on this thing.

How you don't the Texas Method?

btw........between sets on the big 3 I am limiting myself to about 1 min 30 sec break unless I am totally out of breath. This way I keep myself focused lifting so I can get it down and not spend an hour in my gym.

I think at 46, you should re-evaluate your way of thinking. If you think your knees are bothering you now, wait until you get a little older pounding heavy weight.

What is your exhortation? Should I be using knee wraps or pads or just a totally different lifting regiment?
My legs seem to be doing pretty good at the moment. I had some knee pain but it went away after a few days. Not sure what happened there. At the moment I don't wear anything. No, wrist warps, knee pads, belt or put chalk on the hands.

That knee pain didn't last very long. I stopped doing leg work for a few weeks and the pain is gone. Freak of nature.

im a HUGE fan of 531! its simple and to the point

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420