over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Back workout help needed

Tmg123

Registered
Hey guys, new to this board. I am having a hard time getting my back and traps to develop. My chest, arms, shoulders, and legs are coming in fine. Can any of you guys give me some pointers or new exercises that may work better my back? My lats are coming in better than my mid/upper back. I do lower back on legs day so I can deadlift. My traps are on my shoulders day.

my back routine consist of:

3 sets each 8 reps
isolated high row
isolated low row
isolated lat pull down
t-bar row

3 sets each 8 reps
Traps routine:
On shoulders day
Shrugs with olympic bar
I use straps and grab the heaviest weights I can hold and shrug

I use straps for most of my back/trap routine.

forgot to clarify, my back, legs, and shoulders are all on different days.

My back has come along i think from doing big A's beginners guide split. but instead of deads I do rack pulls. I find full deads hit my already fried glutes and hams from leg day. Racks not so much and weights going up.

I am also sold on the idea of lowering the weight slightly and concentrating on a full contraction, slight static hold and slow negative. Its much better from where I used to use to much momentum and arms.

I agree with lewism6 about the rack deads as will many members. Something else you might wanna try is good old bent over barbell rows for upper back and traps, especially if vary the angle of your torso(more upright will target the upper back even more). Face pulls with a rope and the pulley set at shoulder height are also good for that upper back and traps. As far as shrugs go, a guy at my gym suggested I try them with dumbells and lean forward a little and sure enough, I feel it alot more this way. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks guys. Tomorrow is my back day so I will def lower the weight a bit and really focus on the form you mentioned. I am not sure exactly what face pulls are but I'll google it. I appreciate the help!

Ive gone back to basics and am experiencing more growth than with various isolation exercies. I do multiple sets of pullups with different grips using a wrist wrap so I can go nice and slow. Last set I use the assisted pull up thing so I can squeeze extra out. Slow heavy cable rows. Dumbell shrugs and a wide grip barbell shrug. Its working well for me.

Back is tricky. What I have found is I do one week and focus on thickness and the next week focus on width but everything is basic.

There is no magic routine that will work for everyone. I need to lift heavy and high volume for my back to grow. Took me years to feel anything. Mind muscle connection is huge with working back.

But keep it simple. Free weights, heavy, and moderate rest.

I have found that the key to developing a good back is pull ups, cable rows and t-bar rows. Really basic but it works.

here my workout, if its different to yours, maybe its worth trying

t bar rows (free weight) 3 sets, 8-10 reps
dumbell rows, 3 sets, 10-12 reps
weighted pull ups using a v bar, 2 sets, 6-8 reps
pull downs using a v bar, 2 sets, 12-15 reps, strict for
wide grip pulls ups, 2 sets, 10-12 reps
barbell shrugs, (starting set 10-12 reps, then dropset and get another 4-5 reps on that set), 3 sets (all dropsets)
3 sets reverse flys, 10-12 reps

notes: wen t bar rowing, try driving some of the weight with your legs to help you get more weight up, if your not sure what i mean, watch ronnie coleman videos of him t bar rowing, ull see his form is not perfect and he drives the top of the exercises motion by pushing through his legs to some extent

wen doing dumbell rows try stretching your lat out at the bottom of each rep

wen doing barbell shrugs have a over/under grip, flex and stretch your traps at the bottom of each rep, and squeeze them hard at the top of each contraction point, and do not roll your shoulders

your rear delts are trained also on this day, so dont train rear delts on shoulder day anymore, strong rear delts allow for much better back development, train them on back day so they get a whole weeks rest

heavy dead lifts for back ans shrugs for traps but remember heavy is relative everyone is different so dont sacrifice ur form to add weight or u will get hurt

Last edited:
I never got anything from shrugs. I would go heavy and just end up with sore joints. I started deadlifting and my traps started growing. Deads are hard cuz they work!!! Now I shrug after my deads and just use lighter weight

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hey guys, new to this board. I am having a hard time getting my back and traps to develop. My chest, arms, shoulders, and legs are coming in fine. Can any of you guys give me some pointers or new exercises that may work better my back? My lats are coming in better than my mid/upper back. I do lower back on legs day so I can deadlift. My traps are on my shoulders day.

my back routine consist of:

3 sets each 8 reps
isolated high row
isolated low row
isolated lat pull down
t-bar row

3 sets each 8 reps
Traps routine:
On shoulders day
Shrugs with olympic bar
I use straps and grab the heaviest weights I can hold and shrug

I use straps for most of my back/trap routine.

For traps you can definitely bump up either the volume or the frequency. I'll second the recommendation for face pulls as thats a completely different angle. Think of it this way, your traps are as large as your bis and tris. Compare how much work you give arms to traps. 3 sets a week won't cut it especially if they are lagging. For the back, maybe don't get so locked into isolation stuff. Good old barbell rows never disappoint.

Thanks guys, there is some great advice here. I'll let you guys know if today's workout feels any different. I'm actually excited to go to the gym on a back day lol.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131