over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Barbell row vs dumbell row

Rep

Registered
I have always forced the barbell row (under and overhand grip) mainly bc I'm from the "Dorian" era. However, after tearing both long-head biceps, I have been using dumbbells but doing the exercise the same. I like the dumbbells' better bc it's not forcing it in any given plane and I keep a much better contraction pulling the dumbbells' up my legs versus a barbell which places a lot on my wrist.
Curious to see if others have abandoned the barbell row or are using a different type barbell for this.

I learned to never force an exercise. I do overhand barbell rows because they feel the best and are the most effective for me. DB rows might be done a few times per year as an additional high rep burner exercise.

DB with my free hand supporting my postural position.

I've injured my back a few times doing bent over row type movements, so not I favour chest support and the above.

I like the dumbbell bentover row because, like you say, the plane of movement seems more optimal for back thickness (this is one of the few exercises I want strength-endurance and hypertrophy in) and you get more overload on the traps, lats, rhomboids, rear delt keeping an internal focus. Note you lose some adaptations like those from the stabilizers that work some in the barbell bentover row like erector spinae, hamstrings, glutes, rectus abdominis/obliques. There's a bit more work from triceps/biceps to compensate though.

One issue is that a lot of gyms don't have dumbells that go heavy enough. Most seem to top out at 150.

Dumb bell rows you can isolate with less chance of injury

I much prefer dumbbells for almost any exercise over barbells. (The only 2 exceptions I can immediately think of are squats and deadlifts)

The problem is as maldorf said, heavy dumbbells are not often available in gyms over here at least.

If you can use 150 pound dumbbells for bent over row, then you have an amazing back. I'm no slouch but I don't go over 90 pounders. I forced barbell rows for years as a younger lifter and wish I hadn't. I feel that it only added to why my biceps are torn now. I "feel" the dumbbell so much better as I pull them up and turn really hitting the lats much better.

DB’s for me… I use both though. I also have lower back issues which makes doing bent over BB rows not ideal for me. I do them, but just can’t handle heavy weight. The DB’s allow for me to go heavy and not cause any lower back stress!

Cage

If you can use 150 pound dumbbells for bent over row, then you have an amazing back. I'm no slouch but I don't go over 90 pounders. I forced barbell rows for years as a younger lifter and wish I hadn't. I feel that it only added to why my biceps are torn now. I "feel" the dumbbell so much better as I pull them up and turn really hitting the lats much better.
Most will do the exercise incorrectly with 150 lbs.

I don’t like regular barbell rows due to low back issues. I do them dead stop style in the smith machine, dead stop t bar rows, 1 arm barbell landmine rows, 1 arm Dumbell rows, and seal rows. I throw in some machine and cable row work but these are my staples

Chest supported DB rows are my fav rowing exercise by far. I have never seen anyone use over 100lbs with reasonable form. Its a tough exercise and can be done at almost any gym.

I like neither lol. The dumbells are just so big that they keep hitting my body before I reach ‘peak contraction’. Not even using very heavy weights. If I’d have to choose, I’d chose the db’s tho

Chest supported DB rows are my fav rowing exercise by far. I have never seen anyone use over 100lbs with reasonable form. Its a tough exercise and can be done at almost any gym.
Yep I like these^^^ 90 lb dumbells is all I need, but I always keep good form on everything as I get older.

I found i could get a better contraction with the range of motion with DB's. And BB would be tough to get a good contraction unless i kept the weight down below 275. Now i use the smith or row 2 DB's mostly.

I love these. My dumbbells at home only go to 125lb so I had to switch to these after a point. Only issue I have personally is that I find it rather difficult to target my lats, my mid/upper back wants to take over. Some pre-exhaustion work of the lats definitely helps here though.

Youtube Meadows Row.

Similar to db row but with a landmine.
Feels great, very versatile, safe, & superior set up for intensifiers like drop sets etc.
Thus far 100% of those who have tried meadows rows, have included them as a regular exercise in their back routine.

Youtube Meadows Row.

Similar to db row but with a landmine.
Feels great, very versatile, safe, & superior set up for intensifiers like drop sets etc.
Thus far 100% of those who have tried meadows rows, have included them as a regular exercise in their back routine.
Gotta try those!

I do mostly traditional Meadows rows and then rows standing behind the plate for a neutral grip (I think they call them suitcase rows) especially with bands
I also really like chest support dumbbell rows , a little change in hand angle changes what muscles are activated maximally

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-113750~2.png
    Screenshot_20220110-113750~2.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner