over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Battling with sciatic/piriformis pain

wannagetbig

Newbies
Hi Everyone
I have been battling with pain in my left buttocks for 8+ months
I only feel the pain when walking up steep hills, sprinting or when bending over (I.e doing a SLDL brings on the pain the most!!). Also feel pain if I sit down for longer than 10 mins. The pain is only in the buttocks ( not down the leg) and is like a throbbing pain when I do those movements above.
I do get some back pain - however this comes on from sitting at a desk all day

It's really affected my training and my leg growth as a can't do SLDL and some other hamstring movements - however I don't really get any pain doing squats!! I would like to hire a online trainer - but I want to get my body right before doing so

I've tried stretching - rollIng on a softball - but with no benefit!!

Any help would be appreciated

Has anyone experienced a similar pain and what treated the condition? I will admit that I do cardio everyday ( 4 x incline treadmill at a good pace and 3 x running per week) and I wonder if this i why my injury will nit go away

Everything you are describing says that is a tight psoas, learn how to stretch it (google).

Find a certified masseuse that knows how to work the piriformis and IT band. It helps a lot. Best of luck! I know your pain and I've had back surgery in the past!!

Stretch and strengthen your psoas and piriformis muscles.

Stretch and massage your iliotibial band.

so...
you've been in pain for 8 months and you continue to sprint and do stiff legged dead lifts???
might sound crazy but maybe you should stop lifting and sprinting for a while.
not trying to be a smart ass.
just saying.
I don't mean SLDLs either,all lifting.

I just over it myself. I started using a foam roller and would lay on both sides of my hips and lay on the roller and roll up and down on the point of the hip and it took it from pain to pain free in like a week.

Thanks for the responses everyone
I will try more specific stretches for the psoas

I haven't done SLDL or proper sprints for some months now - but it's hard to stop lifting

When you say rolling such as foam rolling how are you doing it. Most just go up and down a muscle group half a dozen times which is in correct.

I suffer a similar problem to yourself and here is what I do.

Cross one leg over the other like a figure four. Then I use a large solid plastic dog ball on the cross leg butt cheek.

I will very very slowly roll forward and backwards then side to side, as soon as I feel a painfull area or tight spot I then stay in this area moving back and forth a few millimetre only. You should be working the pain or tight spot until you notice a definite change either reduction in pain or no pain, then you move on.

I can spend 7-10 mins per cheek if that gives you some indication.

One more thing I would add is foam roll and stretch calves. It amazing how much tight calf can affect other areas

really...
not trying to be a smart ass or a know it all but...
why not take a break???your body is talkin to ya.listen to it.
you can try rollin on foam whatevers or whatever kinda balls but I think rest is the answer.
you said its hard to stop lifting.
im no guru but it seems to me that almost any weight lifting movement is gonna involve your back in one way or another.
good luck man,hope you figure it out.

had the same problem for 13 years now.. The only thing that has helped me besides stretching, is my Chiropractor and Massage Therapist!!!!

i recently hurt my lower back and erectors and I decided to take the week off and only ride the bike. I would normally go to the gym and work around it but my wife convinced me this time to just relax and let my body heal and that one week will not hinder results but will indeed let all little aches and pains have a rest. Though i knew all of this it was better having my wife tell me to sit the fuck down and relax. So far its Tuesday and its driving me nuts but no gym so far.

I do get some back pain - however this comes on from sitting at a desk all day

That may be the cause right there. My truck drivers get it also. Sitting in a truck 10-12 hours a day. Most times they have to lay out of a week and lay around. They also tell me never have anything in your back pockets, wallet, dip cans.

Best thing I've found is this stretch preferably with assistance.

Lie down on your bed or floor and cross your leg like people do sitting in a chair. Push on your knee of the crossed leg while somebody pushes your other leg towards you. You'll know when you got it right.

So it's like sitting in a chair with a leg crossed while someone pushes on the bent leg and you push on the crossed knee except you are lying down.

Nothing works better than this stretch. You can also do it sitting down or with a towel around your foot of your bent leg.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236