advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BCAA/EAA's how often do you take em. (or not at all)

I never got much from BCAA/EAA's if my protein was already high to begin with. They are nice around a workout as I don't feel like they lag in my gut. However, if I have whey isolate an hour or so before in a light meal, then I am gtg as well, and I found it a better fit for me.

Dont have time now to read more carefully the full texts, but food for thought (and to remind me to dig in when I have time):

Intake of branched-chain or essential amino acids attenuates the elevation in muscle levels of PGC-1α4 mRNA caused by resistance exercise.

"Unexpectedly, intake of EAA or BCAA attenuated the stimulatory effect of exercise on PGC-1α4 expression by ∼50% (from a 10- to 5-fold increase with BCAA and EAA, P < 0.05) 3 h after exercise, whereas intake of leucine alone did not reduce this response."

considering...

A PGC-1α isoform induced by resistance training regulates skeletal muscle hypertrophy.

"PGC-1α is a transcriptional coactivator induced by exercise that gives muscle many of the best known adaptations to endurance-type exercise but has no effects on muscle strength or hypertrophy. We have identified a form of PGC-1α (PGC-1α4) that results from alternative promoter usage and splicing of the primary transcript. PGC-1α4 is highly expressed in exercised muscle but does not regulate most known PGC-1α targets such as the mitochondrial OXPHOS genes. Rather, it specifically induces IGF1 and represses myostatin, and expression of PGC-1α4 in vitro and in vivo induces robust skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Importantly, mice with skeletal muscle-specific transgenic expression of PGC-1α4 show increased muscle mass and strength and dramatic resistance to the muscle wasting of cancer cachexia. Expression of PGC-1α4 is preferentially induced in mouse and human muscle during resistance exercise. These studies identify a PGC-1α protein that regulates and coordinates factors involved in skeletal muscle hypertrophy."

one scoop bcaa added to my post workout protein shake. seems to help

See i have some problems with this whole thing and it pains me to be public with it because I sell bcaa's/EAA's and it looks like a conflict of interest....

I think I can speak for the vast majority of people here and say that NEVER crossed our minds.

How'd those guys from the golden era build such great physiques and train so hard without amino supps, lol?

Many of them did take protein supplements. Although even if supplements never existed it's a mute point imo. Reason being no one is saying they are essential or needed. But do they work, help towards goals and are they convenient... yes.

Guys in the 60's build their physiques without many of the drugs/supplements we use today but it still doesn't mean we shouldn't use them. All it shows us is that bodbuilding is pretty basic and all you need to do is train hard, eat lots of good quality whole foods and take some deca or test.

Arnie wasn't injecting tren a when he first won the NABBA Mr Universe in 67 either but that doesn't mean when I want to look my best I won't be using it :D

Last edited:
Because you're intelligent. That money spent on quality food is a way wiser investment. My opinion on BCAA: They are convenient, like whey, but way over-hyped and not required for gaining or even cutting.

1. Are they necessary - No. If your daily protein content is on point, its a complete waste of time. Whole food is always superior. Whey can fill any gaps. BCAA is just more money thrown at the same goal. Pick your form, if you like blue razzle berry flavored shit at 4x the price, fine.
2. Are they neat and convenient for pre-workout, at work before you hit gym, on the go, yes. They dont hurt anything. If you add BCAA with every meal, you will see a marginal increase in protein synthesis. If your natty it "might" matter, if you're on juice, it doesnt mean shit. Hit your protein macros for the day and you are basically maxing protein synthesis anyway on gear.
3. Do you need to drink BCAA before doing fasted training or cardio or else you will "catabolize muscle" - No, complete myth. 100% broscience. BCAA before fasted cardio just spikes insulin and can inhibit max lipolysis anyway. If you want to do cardio fasted, then do it and keep insulin quiet.
4. Can you get the same benefit from a whey shake - basically yes.

Do I still buy these products because I like the convenience, taste, suporting the industry and just plain old entertainment... Yes. :D
you made me blush....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear