over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BCAA Insomnia

FK86

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Has anyone experienced this? I was reading how standalone BCAA's compete with tryptophan and negatively impact serotonin levels here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22677921/

I also saw elsewhere claims of them interrupting sleep. I've always had sleep issues and I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor. I've just noticed that I have worse insomnia on days that I train with weights. So I'm trying to rule out if it's the workout itself (never had issues in the past, really) or if it's the BCAA's. I'm not on any gear and I train in the afternoon, so there's 7 hours between when I finish training and when I try to go to bed. I was training 4 days a week, but have decided to drop back to 3 days (M/W/F)

Caffeine intake is only 200 mg in the morning and I don't think that's the issue because, again, on non-training days I have caffeine and have a better attempt at sleeping.

BCAA dose is typically 10-15 g pre-workout and that's it. Been doing that for about 2 years.

While on the topic of sleep difficulty I also read artificial sweeteners can be a culprit in triggering insomnia. I only have one Coke Zero or something a day, but my protein powder is sweetened with sucralose. I'm just wondering if after years and years of this it's amplifying these issues.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

All I know is that if I don't eat some carbs leading up to my bedtime, I sleep a lot worse or not at all. (also Serotonin-related)

All I know is that if I don't eat some carbs leading up to my bedtime, I sleep a lot worse or not at all. (also Serotonin-related)

I should try that.

I stopped using BCAA a couple years ago because of the insomnia it was causing.

Last edited:
In the last days I have increased my consumption of educolorants and protein powder, and my dream has been worse. I wonder if it has a relationship or is coincidence.

In the last days I have increased my consumption of educolorants and protein powder, and my dream has been worse. I wonder if it has a relationship or is coincidence.

Could be. Whey, and protein powders in general, are high in BCAA's. There's no getting away from that. However, the issues seem to occur when they are standalone. It's almost as if they "behave" differently when consumed with the other amino acids.

I'm going to try and get off the artificial sweetners anyway with regard to pop (soda). I'm considering ordering my whey isolate unsweetened next time as well, but that might be difficult if it tastes awful.

I like neutral taste whey, lol.

I'm going to stop using artificial sweetners in my casein at night, and I will also try not to eat scooped whey, DNP is a bitch.

That's an interesting read for sure. I typically have my BCAA's in the morning so I don't experience any insomnia from it that I haver noticed.

Do you take any sleep aids?

This is interesting thread because i've been thinking about this.

With me when i take a dose of BCAA's before bed i feel as though i sleep better.

And when i don't have any sugars within a few hours of bedtime i feel i sleep better also...

this is completely opposite of what many of you posted.

cdm
Scott

This is interesting thread because i've been thinking about this.

With me when i take a dose of BCAA's before bed i feel as though i sleep better.

And when i don't have any sugars within a few hours of bedtime i feel i sleep better also...

this is completely opposite of what many of you posted.

cdm
Scott

Like anything it can affect people differently. Even if I slept fine I'd still be concerned with it's modifications of serotonin and dopamine. Mess around with those two and your quality of life is compromised.

People can do whatever they want. I merely shared information. I'm thrilled to be sleeping again and saving money as well.

Used to have bad dreams and would be up and down all night when I ate red meat before bed. Switched to fish and it's a lot better. Hardly anything. Just personal experience

All they really do is act as a mild neurotransmitter precursor.
Thats what that "push" is...
I dont recommend BCAA, but thats just IMHO.

I’ve been using bcaa’s for years and have never noticed insomnia. Maybe like anything it varies by individual.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131